cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Why are there no free to play games, like Planetside 2 on Stadia?

Jump to solution

Why are there no free to play Games on Stadia!!

I need Planetside 2 or Fornite... Word of tank....

I am near switching to nvidia now... Because they Support Planetside 2!

Google will lose the run if they staying still.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

@Kaittoo :

It's taking time to get developers on-boarded, and even longer to get games released.  The only good news announced was that there are plans at least for 120+ titles to make it to Stadia in 2020.  Of course that doesn't mean to say that all those titles will actually make that release date.  Companies are making significant changes to their work habits as a consequence of what is taking place with the Covid-19 pandemic, and that will be used as an excuse for delays left, right and center in the coming months IMHO.

IIRC, the developer of Planetside 2 or maybe it was the publisher(?), laid off a bunch of their workforce, so that doesn't sound like the chances of Planetside 2 making it to Stadia would be increased, but my assumption could be wrong, and they could announce something in the coming months.... No way of knowing what if any free to play titles are coming to Stadia until they announce something.   Maybe announcements will get made with the release of the basic model....maybe, but that is still conjecture on my part as I have no actual information to back these thoughts up.

If you're not happy with Stadia and don't want to continue your subscription, then just let it lapse, you can always renew at a later date if you start to see titles available that are of interest, or not if you don't.   Or you can go with GeForce Now if that has the titles you want to play now, because I don't see anything changing that quickly on Stadia just yet IMHO.

Ultimately, the choice is yours to make, and I agree Google will struggle if they standstill, but this isn't going to change overnight, they are playing catchup to a lot of other platforms and their unique point is to make this available and accessible to a wide range of different players (TV/PC/Mobile) which is more than perhaps you can do with something like GeForce Now.

But go with whatever meets your gaming needs, that's why we haven't ditched our consoles or PC's yet, while we like Stadia its not the only option for us currently.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.

View solution in original post

3 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Member

My guess is they will come with time.

Google is brand new in the game world, they have a lot to learn and I am sure they will, I mean the video game industry is huge...

So my guess is in the upcoming month, free game will arrive

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Kaittoo :

It's taking time to get developers on-boarded, and even longer to get games released.  The only good news announced was that there are plans at least for 120+ titles to make it to Stadia in 2020.  Of course that doesn't mean to say that all those titles will actually make that release date.  Companies are making significant changes to their work habits as a consequence of what is taking place with the Covid-19 pandemic, and that will be used as an excuse for delays left, right and center in the coming months IMHO.

IIRC, the developer of Planetside 2 or maybe it was the publisher(?), laid off a bunch of their workforce, so that doesn't sound like the chances of Planetside 2 making it to Stadia would be increased, but my assumption could be wrong, and they could announce something in the coming months.... No way of knowing what if any free to play titles are coming to Stadia until they announce something.   Maybe announcements will get made with the release of the basic model....maybe, but that is still conjecture on my part as I have no actual information to back these thoughts up.

If you're not happy with Stadia and don't want to continue your subscription, then just let it lapse, you can always renew at a later date if you start to see titles available that are of interest, or not if you don't.   Or you can go with GeForce Now if that has the titles you want to play now, because I don't see anything changing that quickly on Stadia just yet IMHO.

Ultimately, the choice is yours to make, and I agree Google will struggle if they standstill, but this isn't going to change overnight, they are playing catchup to a lot of other platforms and their unique point is to make this available and accessible to a wide range of different players (TV/PC/Mobile) which is more than perhaps you can do with something like GeForce Now.

But go with whatever meets your gaming needs, that's why we haven't ditched our consoles or PC's yet, while we like Stadia its not the only option for us currently.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.

View solution in original post

3 Kudos
Community Member

I do not believe Google is standing still... I am sure they are heavily involved...

I bought Stadia last week and what made me do it was the news of that vista studio. To me this showed Google were serious about it...

Sure some like to point those abandoned google projects but they all miss some important points... :

Inbox : Was a temporary email server to test new features for gmail.

Google glass (Google hater poster boy / trophy).. : Well, how many smart glass do you see people wearing..? My guess would be close to 0, conclusion : There is no market (at least now) for it so killing it was a wise choice.

Now gaming... :

- Proven market

- You have big companies (Sony, Mocrosoft, Nintendo...) in it

- Big money to be made

- Everybody has a phone, every body in the western world has home internet, the the potential customer base is **bleep** huge. And when you know that companies actually LOSE money (or barely breaking even) on each console sale, you know that console are just a platform to get people to buy games.

Cloud gaming just remove that middleware (console) so scaling can be very very very big... I mean you do not have to get console built, ship to store, ship to customers... Just increase our server capacity and that COVID-19 prove this model right, Cloud gaming won't be penalized by that virus but next gen consoles already delayed (this is a HUUUUUGE opportunity for google, shadow and GeForce now, Xcloud is not ready yet, Microsoft is just rushing it because deep down they fear stadia)...

To show what type of opportunity they have : Cyberpunk 2077 was delayed because the xbox one was not powerful enough to run this game... So they delayed it to be close from the next gen launch... Now those consoles are delayed but I doubt CD-project will again delay cyberpunk so Stadia can claim to have the best version of this game. And by that time, Stadia free tier will be available so people will likely just realize they do not need to buy a $600 machine and can just buy the game. Google (Alphabet) should take this god given opportunity to be very agressive.

Google is using that lean approach : Throw the MVP (minimum viable product), gather data, improve / pivot, implement...

The MVP for a gaming service ... : Playing a game with minimum latency, all the rest can be implemented later.

All those trashing Stadia never even touched it, they are using that viral video about that guy at his job with like 10s latency... But None talk about how it is now, where it has a similar latency than any PS4 and Xbox one (on mobile, the latency is almost null). It is like it is the cool thing to do to trash Stadia. I even asked one of them why he hated stadia... And he had no answer... 

It went like this :

ME : Why do you hate Stadia so much?

HIM : Google do not manage it right just like they mismanage youtube...

Me : You take the controller, pick a game and play, what more do you want?

Him : ... If they wanted to come into the video game industry, why not using steam server...? Why do they want to have their hand in it...?

Me : Why GM didn't partnered with Ford? Why Microsoft did not just use Mac, Why Apple did not use Motorola...

Him : Very big latency, very laggy

Me : Have you even tried it?

Him : ...

That being said, Google should have been more honest about it and say it was a beta testing and they should offer bigger incentives to those who invested early, like additional 3 month pro free.

Oh, and one of the "best" argument against Stadia for the haters is that you have to pay a subscription... They all act like it will only be like this. When google launch their free plan (need to be quick) and go hard on marketing it, there we will know what the mass market think about it, but from my limited sampling, it will be HUGE, people I talked to who were no hardcore gamers like those fanboys all wanted to try it and found the idea very interesting

0 Kudos
Community Member

Hello @jayo2k , in summary you just told me that Stadia is good and all problems will be solved sometime.

But my question was, why is there no free to play on Stadia or why is there no Planetside 2 on Stadia?

And I got a great answer from @Mad_Dog_Bravo , thank you.Maybe they can't offer free to play games in the current Stadia model. Who pays at Stadia basic for the google processing power on a free to play game? Maybe google needs a wait queue like nvidia now or they are only avabel at pro mebership. I dont know how they can get Money frome a free to play game but at the moment they are losing players... I was a google fan boy, and now i am starting to hate Stadia..... They have done so many things wrong and fxxxed with hyped gamers and there is still no real apology.

I canceled Stadia pro and I booked Nvidia now (90 days free). And i have to say Stadia was better, with Nvidia now I'm not really happy because it doesn't work on a Chrombrook or Android TV yet but Planetside 2 can be played on a Laptop or PC. So there are good and bad things about it.

Is Stadia pro on a chromecast when playing assassins creed awsome? Yeahhh, its mind blowing how great it works! But i cant play only 4 games..... And the best working games in Stadia for now are only working great on singel player story mode.

If Nvidia ad a web player and fixes some random lag Problems they win the race. And i also have to say that nvidia games are looking so much better then 4k HDR Stadia bull**bleep**.

Whats more importend, good grafik and a lot of games to choose or min. Laags and max. device support?

1 Kudo
Community Member

Free to play games may come on Stadia, but for Stadia Pro players only

1 Kudo
Community Member

I love Planetside 2, and i want it on Stadia. I heared some rumors on reddit that Planetside 2 will come to Stadia.

So if anybody know Something about it, pls tell me!

0 Kudos