cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Well Played Google - Activision Blizzard pulls it games from GeForce Now

Jump to solution

I have just read the article on many webs, and everything points to an agreement between Google and Blizzard. 

Really good news for us.

"Their departure from GeForce Now may have something to do with the exclusive streaming agreement that Activision Blizzard signed with Google last month, under which the publisher’s esports competitions will be streamed exclusively on YouTube and its games will rely on Google Cloud as the “preferred provider” for their network infrastructure. Is it possible that Activision Blizzard removed its games from GeForce Now because it wants to bring them to Stadia in the future?"

Activision Blizzard pulls all its games off Nvidia’s GeForce Now streaming service 

2 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

Just wanted to give an update, came over this article ,

According to https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/15/21138927/geforce-now-activision-games-pulled-blizzard-nvidia-reaso...

" Furthermore, the disappearance of Activision Blizzard games from GeForce Now does not have anything to do with the exclusive streaming agreement the publisher and Google signed in January. In its quarterly conference call with investors on Feb. 6, the publisher said Stadia is not a part of that arrangement.

That pact dedicates the publisher’s esports events to YouTube and specifies Google Cloud as the “preferred provider” of network infrastructure."

Seems like we still will be in the update limbo, and that we will actually  "celebrate" in three days time  the two months vow of silence from Google's  so called "official" Google Stadia announcment.

Stadia name Nightcrow#9757 🙂

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
23 Replies
Community Member

Most top companies will pull the plug in GeForce now, it's too complex in it's current state you can't just put loads of games on a service it to be allowed, people thinking this was a thing that could replace a PC or console were mad because who would risk buying games.

Like I've said before it's no more than a service to compliment what you have even then though why wouldn't people just stream from the local PC they already have.

1 Kudo
Community Member

IMG-20191204-WA0009.jpeg

I transmit from my local PC. I do not need GFNow. How I miss my PC Y_Y

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Whito I also have a great gaming PC. And I also miss it because is in my daughters room and she's 1 year old 😭.

She took over my "man's cave", so Stadia is my best option for now 😂

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Sherian That's nice to hear ... she will take good care of her cave and her big PC ... My wife's PC is right next to mine ... but it's not that powerful, so she is now taking care of my PC with Final Fantasy XIV ... it's the only Game she uses. So Stadia is also my best option at the moment 

: P

20191202_204057.jpg

0 Kudos
Community Member

" Is it possible that Activision Blizzard removed its games from GeForce Now because it wants to bring them to Stadia in the future?" 

And you really expect an answer to this question?🤔  just curious. 

In my eyes, Blizzard just removed the games because geforce now is now out of beta and their agreement/deal/contract whatsoever, just expired with it. Greedy Publishers like Blizzard are liking their piece of the cake when GFN gets money by mainly advertising and using Blizzards products as exclusives to their cloud service. 

But again, maybe all the conspiracy theoriest are right and google made a deal or even xcloud, who knows?! 🤷‍♂️

0 Kudos
Community Member

Activision and blizzard will bring individual games to stadia whether that's exclusive I doubt it, I'd guess GeForce now just can't afford to run the servers atm and pay all these companies as much as they want while trying to profit from said companies assets.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@ChronosP  I'm not waiting for an answer to this question. I'm just trying to open a thread to talk about this news. Sorry if you misunderstand me.

I'm actually having fun with Stadia, specially with Metro and MK11. But I would like to hear that AAA tittles from one of this "big fishes" of the game industry will be part of Stadia.

I really think that Stadia has more to offer than any of the other streamming services, so, even if it's just a rumor, I'd like to think that this indicates a new route for Stadia.

Finaly, I have to say it, I'm tired of reading every day only about complains (both on the one hand and on the other) and very few productive things, so I prefer to wander than complaining.

I hope nobody feels offended by my comment

Sherian.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Hopefully leads to good news for Stadia if a deal was in the works with Activision Blizzard.

I haven't minded how everything has started with Stadia, typical experience for early adopters.  My gaming experience has been absolutely solid, shocking how well it runs. 

This potentially good news gives a nice lift from the drumbeat of some that are predicting failure.  It's hard not to notice that articles reviewing GeForce always had a positive spin on shortcomings while articles on Stadia always seemed to attack shortcomings from a negative angle.  I'm not shocked or bothered, but there seemed to be a lack of objectivity in many reviews.  I just evaluate the quality of the reviews with my own actual experience.  

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Sherian 

don't worry pal, not offended at all!

But i can imagine many scenarios why this has happened to GFN tbh and atm its all just pure speculation. Although I would be happy to have blizzard games here on stadia but i can almost feel the outrage that this would bring over this platform additional to this typical "hate" mentality. 

Anyway, another rumor and worst case scenario would be that Blizzard launches its own cloud service. I don't know about you folks but im certainly sure that noone wants to have 10+ subscriptions per month just to play their games everywhere. 😒

2 Kudos
Community Member

@PerAsperAdAstra I've also noticed all reviews saying this is what stadia should be and so on BUT all these game reviewers already have a collection of PC games so of course it works for them, it's a shame they don't make it clear to neutrals that gfn is pointless if you don't have a PC already and it would be daft to use as a standalone like Stadia intends to be.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I disagree @ARGAH gfn is useful to those who can buy, not tied to a specific platform and see the benefit of not having to update new hardware for already owned digital games.

I subscribe to stadia and gfn. The way some shameful developers are approaching (rather distancing) gfn for their own greed is nothing short of robbery if you own Steam games in my opinion.

I for one won't entertain double dipping into games I've already if I already own on Steam and this is where gfn shines. Call it a principle thing.

If Stadia had gone a different model, heck I'd have paid a fortune per month to play my back catalogue of 140 games from Steam. Somehow personally I think there was a missed opportunity here.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I just don’t see any point in GeForce now unless owning a PC, the whole model relies on companies not wanting a piece of the pie and with that comes the ability for said companies on board now to back out anytime and use it as leverage in a deal to go exclusive with stadia or amazon when they start whatever they plan on doing, if that happens and you try to use GeForce as standalone because pc can’t run the games you purchased your screwed.

My thoughts are basically why use GeForce now and not shadow pc or stadia.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@ChronosP 

5 subscriptions here

Stadia

Origin premium access

Amazon Prime

Final Fantasy XIV x2

Netflix

So no please.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Just wanted to give an update, came over this article ,

According to https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/15/21138927/geforce-now-activision-games-pulled-blizzard-nvidia-reaso...

" Furthermore, the disappearance of Activision Blizzard games from GeForce Now does not have anything to do with the exclusive streaming agreement the publisher and Google signed in January. In its quarterly conference call with investors on Feb. 6, the publisher said Stadia is not a part of that arrangement.

That pact dedicates the publisher’s esports events to YouTube and specifies Google Cloud as the “preferred provider” of network infrastructure."

Seems like we still will be in the update limbo, and that we will actually  "celebrate" in three days time  the two months vow of silence from Google's  so called "official" Google Stadia announcment.

Stadia name Nightcrow#9757 🙂

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Community Member

I have also read that there's no exclusiveness with google. So it's posible a new streaming plantform of Activision Blizzard.... hopefully not so.

Sherian #1004

0 Kudos
Community Member

Only time will tell if this is down to a deal being done between Google and Activision-Blizzard. 

The possibilities could be really god for both parties however. Imagine a scenario where gamers are tuning in to watch Call of Duty E-Sports on YouTube and on that same feed they have the option to click a button buy/play that very version of Call of Duty they are watching, instantly on Google Stadia. 

It could be a really good move by both parties if some sort of Cloud exclusive deal did happen. 

1 Kudo
Community Member
1 Kudo
Community Member

Who would've thought the big companies wouldn't let players use GeForce now to access their games because it's the right thing to do and not want a lot of cash, crazy.

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Especially for MMOs I guess. Some companies just doesn't seem to be happy that GFN allows players to stream their experience/access to the game. Especially because in some of their Game-TOS it is stated that such a streaming is seen as third party software which is not allowed. So before players get banned, I guess the big companies just removed their games from GFN, because that solution was easier for them. Just my thoughts. 😁

0 Kudos
Community Member

this is likely to backfire spectacularly. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

I do not get why people will be happy Activision is leaving GeForce now... Be happy that they come on Stadia, but hey, competition, I own both...

GeForce now just need to clearly explain what is their service and go the Stadia route by just removing all the unnecessary steps. Implement a click play type of app. they use the steam and windows platform to go around agreements but in the end it is a cloud feature. It works great but they just need to do like google and  be a fully independent cloud gaming service.

As for Stadia, I laugh everytime I hear someone says that it will not be around in 36 months... They''ve been saying that since before its launch, me I truly believe that in the Future it is the PS5 and the Xbox series that will not be around because of the cloud (amazon is coming, that means the big company saw what the future will bring us) 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Those companies pulling their games from GeForce now are kind of dumb in my opinion... They should instead work on an agreement. 

They do not realize that they are getting themselves away from many potential customers who would have never bought their games if it was not for GeForce now because not everybody can/will buy an expensive gaming PC... Many people went like, I can enjoy of Games without having to put 3 months of my salary to buy a PC ? Then went on buying games. 

One of the principle in business is to put yourself within customer reach, stadia and GeForce now allows that. 

I would have never buy doom eternal if it was not for stadia because fps are better on PC and I I will only but am expensive PC for video editing not gaming

0 Kudos
Community Member

I agree @jayo2k tunnel vision from these companies are denying themselves potential sales.

My own pc died a few months ago. Theres no way I'm buying a new one....hello Stadia but also gfn.

Shame on companies (they know who they are) hurting progress with cloud expansion services like gfn and denying their already existing customer base from playing legit purchases games.

Bravo companies like Ubisoft and many more who realise the vision and opportunity.

The more options for the consumer for cloud without strangling it at the first hurdle needs to be at the forefront of the industry priorities.

0 Kudos