cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Update on timeline for Family Sharing?

Hi, any Stadia insiders out there?  Can you give us an update on the hoped timeline for family sharing?  I have some family members itching to use Stadia with their new controllers on their own accounts. 

75 Kudos
47 Replies
Community Member

Thanks for posting this.  Unfortunately, they have been saying this for quite awhile.  It seems to continue to get pushed back.  "This year" doesn't really tell us much.  

3 Kudos
Community Member

I see there is now a Family Sharing option in the Stadia app, but the help page just talks about parental controls for kids. Doesn't say anything about sharing my Pro games and purchased games with my wife... Total lack of clarity from Google. Buying games twice and/or payig for 2 Pro subscriptions is unacceptable

8 Kudos
Community Member

Watch this space: https://families.google.com/families

Stadia is at the bottom, but still no way yet to share game purchases between family members. @StadiaTeam has to know this is a highly asked for feature especially with the community of gamers growing now and access to Stadia for All now available.

8 Kudos
Community Member

As far as I understand this help page about Stadia family, there is no intention to enable game sharing. The "family" feature is just there so parents can restrict

• Whether or not their children are allowed to create Stadia accounts
  • Whether or not their children can buy stuff on Stadia
  • Which games their children are allowed to play on Stadia

So in reality, this feature is meant to enable parents to control their children, not game with them. Bummer.

3 Kudos
Community Member

Thanks!

If it turns out this is the case, I'd stop buying games and end my subscription. I've never heard of a game system where you can't switch the user to play games within a household. I have done this with my family since PS3...

How else are we supposed to use it within a family? Even if it were restricted to one device that would be fine, I don't need the games played on other TVs or anything. I just need separate logins so we can play and not overwrite each other's saves... like every other system for the last 15+ years...

4 Kudos
Community Member

4 Kudos
Community Member

More than likely they're trying to figure out pricing and an arrangements the game developers will agree to. 

Most likely the standard Pro membership will enable shared games but only one-two players at a time and then offer a "Family" Pro tier that costs more but shares game and allows all 6 to play simultaneously. I'd try a family tier that shares games and allows family multiplayer for $24.99 a month on but they really need some annual pricing discounts.

4 Kudos
Community Member

I’d definitely love to see annual pricing discounts for pro.

Add me on Stadia: TyrantOvrYou#4485
0 Kudos
Community Member

Doom Eternal, Red Dead Redemption 2 ans Mode AAA Games coming or releases for STADIA ans all Guys Wish Same Like Steam Family or Google Play Family fhe similary Feature a Stadia Games Family Sharing Option. Sound Like good and the Option was many replyed in a Stadia Closed Reviews Portal so i see the Option in Feature but cant say why Not yet activat.

Friends have no interest in Stadia while Family Sharing actually Not supported and for using Stadia need registry a Creditcard but dont why while PayPal is good alternate payments Option

0 Kudos
Community Member

Man, whats the point in implementing the family feature if it doesn't do anything.....

5 Kudos
Community Member

This is getting to be a monthly post.  We are still waiting! 

3 Kudos
Community Member

I really want to buy Sundered... but I've decided to stop buying until Family comes out! Stadia is great but I can only do so much solo, I need to share these games with my wife and kids!

There are a few games I've decided not to buy until we have this feature actually... come on Google!

8 Kudos
Community Member

I dont understand why there comes no information from Google themself. I have two Kids and wont buy every Game twice or three times.

5 Kudos
Community Member

keeping this alive, looking to purchase additional premiere editions, but not wanting to purchase several copies of the same games. This is probably holding a lot of people back from making the switch. Wheres at least an answer or an update, why are we in the dark as new features and screens adding family feature suggestions fall out of the sky.

5 Kudos
Community Member

I guess I could understand "family sharing" to not necessarily mean "games purchased sharing," but then what is the point? Other than Family Link that Google has already enabled for managing child Google accounts, what would enabling a "family group" within Stadia give you currently? As we've discussed in this thread already, sharing one's Pro subscription with family members may not be in the cards given it's quite inexpensive (although there is precedence with existing Google services such as music streaming; sharing the service with others costs more per month). I can't possibly imagine that creating a family group for Stadia accounts isn't going to at least "share" purchased games with other members of our family group, within the confines of parental controls we've already set up (as this already exists with movies, books, etc. if you enable it).

Trust me, I'm not fuming at anyone's post or information here, more incredulous at Google for not clarifying this further for us yet, finalized what Family Sharing is going to be for our "early 2020" feature release, and/or...some other third point I can't think of (or am too angry right now) to elucidate. I recognize this is a complicated feature  that potentially touches across the Stadia platform in many ways, but I know for (at least) myself I'm just looking for better clarification for what's going on here.

3 Kudos
Community Member

@Samas here is an example.

I bought RDR2 and I've been playing it for a while. Now I want my wife to check it out. 

On PS4: she logs in as herself and plays the game. Her profile and save data is separate from mine.

On Stadia: what can we do? There's no way to simply sign out my account and sign in hers so she can play. We would have to buy two copies of the game!

This is a deal breaker for me. But the post just before yours has some good news actually, so I'm hanging on for now

3 Kudos
Community Member

An update on this in any form would be helpful even if it is just a "This is what it is going to look like." kind of update.  I am not really sure why they are being so silent on this issue since it was one of the features mentioned early on.  I think I am going to pass on my pro subscription until this gets clarified. 

3 Kudos
Community Member

What's the point of this forum if the Dev's don't use it? this silence is ridiculous. 😡

4 Kudos