cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Update on timeline for Family Sharing?

Hi, any Stadia insiders out there?  Can you give us an update on the hoped timeline for family sharing?  I have some family members itching to use Stadia with their new controllers on their own accounts. 

75 Kudos
47 Replies
Community Member

Subscribed/following this question since my family is also in a holding pattern.😎👍

4 Kudos
Community Member

@powerofprimes It was supposed to be available at launch and no informations was yet provided on the subject. 

It is my opinions it will be in the next substantial update but that's just a opinions.

I collect Kudos for living.
2 Kudos
Community Member

I am concerned this is being pushed farther down the road. This is just a bit of conjecture, but I suspect that the Stadia team is hoping that we give out our buddy passes to our family members thereby making it impossible for that family member to later be part of another family sharing account. (In hopes of driving up revenue.) Meanwhile I am holding onto my buddy passes that could be put to good use by their friends once I know I can share my games out to my family via sharing. If I can't share my games with my family, Stadia is not going to make sense for us.
6 Kudos
Community Member

I'm interested in seeing if it's going to have a 'family plan' membership tier (like Play Music/YouTube Premium) with a slightly higher monthly fee, or if it'll simply allow game sharing across multiple accounts linked as a family (I'd be ok with both if the latter restricted to one person playing at a time, Vs simultaneous play at the higher cost... Y'know, incase anyone from Google is listening 🙂 ).

Along the same lines,I'd actually love it if I could just have one Google bill a month! (From end of February when my Founder pass begins to bill I'll end up with Google One, YouTube Premium and Stadia all billing - would love one bill with a group discount on it!)

7 Kudos
Community Member

My ideal situation (which Google doesn't care about) would be the same model they use for YouTube TV.  It makes sense to me.  1 account with family sub accounts - 1 price, and I think they allow at least 3 in use at a time.  When I buy a digital game on a console, anyone on that console can play it with any account.  This should be the same for Stadia.  I'd like to be able to use my family accounts to play games with my family on separate screens.  (Sports games, Fire teams, etc.) 

6 Kudos
Community Member

I agree, 

Youtube TV model would work perfectly. 

Price per active seat. 
My kids want to have their own saves for the games they want to play. 

2 Kudos
Community Member

@TheRealAnorak 

Three at the same time is way too much. Video content functions differently from game content. At max it should be two (the owner of the content and a "family" member) which is what Xbox and PlayStation do. Any more than that will hurt game sales.

2 Kudos
Community Member

Yea but now they’re making the buddy passes time sensitive. I could be wrong, but I believe the timer starts ticking once you receive the buddy pass, not once you claim it to give away. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

Family Sharing is also a crucial feature for me. No Family Sharing means I cannot buy any Game on Stadia my girlfriend is slightly interested in. Also no able to share Games in a household is one of the main fuels to the whole „With Stadia you don‘t actually own the Games“ argument, which I hear very often when I talk with people who are not into the Stadia idea.

8 Kudos
Community Member

I'm on the Play family plan and haven't seen concurrency limits yet, but maybe haven't run into them.

For me it would provide tremendous (I'd put this in caps but I don't want to come off as a shouter) added value if games could be played simultaneously. Let me explain. Me and my young son play games together (coop). As many games don't provide local coop, after finishing Darksiders, we're now playing the discounted Youngblood which had online coop. I had to send a buddy pass to an account I set up for him and then had to buy the game twice, once on each account, for us to be able to play together. He plays on the TV and I sit next to him with a laptop. (Yes we're streaming Stadia twice without any issues.)

The way I look at it, we're playing the game once. I would like to pay for it once. Stadia basically introduced a sort of local coop using the built-in online coop and me using 2 screens. I'm willing to stay on Pro for a feature like that, but I'm not willing to keep paying twice for a game I play once.

Anyway just my 2c concerning simultaneously playing a game in a family library.

8 Kudos
Community Member

Its now March 2020 with no answers on when this might actually make it to daylight.  Meanwhile I expect I wont see it until my "free" period expires and I have to start paying the subscription rate for the premium.

3 Kudos
Community Member

Hello Google,

give us information please.

4 Kudos
Community Member

The only real selling point to Stadia (for me) right now was that I thought I could pay for one subscription and play coop with my son. I am in about $200 since christmas, Still cant do it (Without paying for a second subscription and buying every game twice). I bought a used ps4 so now we have 2 and we coop fortnite and other free games on Sonys system than we use Stadia for less money.

Get your stuff together Google.

5 Kudos
Community Member

I'm in the same boat. I can no longer buy games on Stadia while this isn't addressed! I want something very simple: the ability to create separate logins, so that our saves remain separate. That is all. If I buy a PS4 game, I log onto the PS4 as myself when I play, and he logs on as himself when he plays. I never have to worry about him overwriting my save or vice versa. Not so with Stadia...

3 Kudos
Community Member

Hi Google.  It's been nearly 4 months since this post and we are closing in on 6 months since launch.  We still haven't heard anything from you on Family Sharing.  Now Doom is getting released, and we are going to have to purchase it on another system, regrettably.  We much prefer to play on Stadia.  With so many kids at home right now it seems like now is as a good a time as any to flip the switch and allow us to add sub accounts to our Stadia Pro.  We are waiting, and understanding you want to roll it right, but you haven't given us a clue about when to expect it.  So it is starting to get frustrating as new titles are released that other members of the family want to play.  Even giving us a target date some time in the future would be highly appreciated at this point so we know where to spend our gaming dollars.

15 Kudos
Community Member

This feature is needed and so is a official response.

6 Kudos
Community Member

Follo

1 Kudo
Community Member

I had to "friend" my daughter my buddy pass when I received my founders edition so we could play together, but now its starting to charge me for both accounts. I looked everywhere for a way to set up my 3 other kids' accounts, but nothing.  I'd love to be able to game with the whole family, like today, for example, when we're isolated from the world.  I bought them all controllers, but missed the message about needing a founders edition in order to play before they all opened them excitedly for X-mas, and here 3 months later they still have to borrower mine to play a 2 player game.

5 Kudos
Community Member

Also, relevant, Steam does it. What I mentioned before. About owning the game once and multiplaying it with people that don't own a copy. They don't even need to be family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClPgQMi_h8c

4 Kudos
Community Member

Ik hoop ook dat het delen van de games in het gezin eindelijk eens wordt ingevoerd. 

Op de manier zoals het nu gaat wordt mijn gezin niet enthousiast. 

Ik ga de games niet 2 keer kopen en 2of meer abbonementen nemen????? 

2 Kudos
Community Member

Waiting for family sharing before buying.

4 Kudos
Community Member

Just adding my voice to this. Come on Google, given the current global situation surely this is something you can bring forward? I doubt there's anything technical stopping you so it's just your strategy, DO THE RIGHT THING!

8 Kudos
Community Member

They finally released the free version of Stadia, and still no information. Come on, Google help out your customers!

5 Kudos
Community Member

The Stadia app has updated and the Family section in Settings has changed. I went looking in their help section for a step by step and found this monster:

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9575790?hl=en&ref_topic=9495322

In typical Google fashion, not very much of this is clear cut but it seems if you already have Family Library set up via Google Play and family members, sharing, etc. then other family members just need to start making Stadia accounts. I will be working on this over the weekend with my wife's account (normal Google account that should be able to access all my Stadia games) and two child accounts (that will need to request access based on content levels, gonna see how much of a kludge this is).

From the support article, it sure sounds like this is going to be set up the way we (well, at least I did) expected but it remains to be see how well it all works.

3 Kudos
Community Member

I think this is different.  This is for kids to set up their own Stadia account, when their account is currently part of a family group within Google.  Obviously I could be wrong, but I believe that is what this is.  I will be curious to find out if 1 purchase of a game will allow multiple accounts within the family to play that game.  Either way, this is in no way how I envision family sharing.  With YouTubeTV, you just send an invite from the main account to the other accounts you want to have access to your subscription.  That is pretty much how I envision Stadia working.  

1 Kudo
Community Member

I agree, but Stadia is listed under your Family library here: https://families.google.com/families

It even has YouTube TV listed there (I don't subscribe to that) so it makes me think that sharing on Stadia will function like that, Google Play content, etc. Again, not sure this stuff is rolled out yet but they seem to be making steps towards it. The support article also mentions Stadia Pro and implies that those games on your account (I would imagine the parent account with Pro) would be claimable from the child accounts, hopefully with the appropriate content levels applicable.

3 Kudos
Community Member

I see what you are saying.  It seems to me they have put the infrastructure in place, but they have not pulled the trigger to enable yet.  Thanks for pointing this out. 

4 Kudos
Community Member

Coming this year... I have x4 kids.. this would be a big deal for me. Granted, they need more family games. We need JackBox!

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2020/04/stadia-confirms-family-sharing-is-coming-this-year.html

4 Kudos