cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Think I'm done with stadia

I thought this platform was the future and hung around for a bit but recently I'm just finding it meh, its pretty lame and the thought of going back to Xbox to play the likes of Dark Souls, FIFA 20, Forza 4 etc. local is too appealing also the player base is never going to grow here either.

It's a shame there are things that could've kept me longer but it is what it is, anyone else feeling the same recently?

2 Kudos
19 Replies
Community Member

then stop playing then, no need to tell strangers on the internet that you are done...

You just fail to see beyond today... Stadia is not a today's platform but a tomorrow one... This is what keeping me here; I see how it can be later. 

On Xbox I have : 

• Watchdog 2
  • GTA V
  • RDR 2
  • UFC 3
  • Wildland
  • Breakpoint

But recently canceled gamepass.

But i do not touch it anymore... It is not either this or that, it is not like you have to buy Stadia, you just buy the game.

The last time I downloaded a game on the One S, I realized why i did not want to touch it anymore...

I wanted to compare Destiny 2 on both platform... On Stadia, I just claimed it and played right away...

On Xbox.... Gees, 100gb, I had to make room so I removed many games then started the download and went to sleep... The next day I check the download and... It stopped, other games downloaded updates so I did not have enough spaces anymore... I gave up and went on playing destiny 2 on my laptop then went back to my room and switched to the phone.

4 Kudos
Community Member

@jayo2k we could write a book on how much you go on about why you stopped playing Xbox, if you don't like it don't tell strangers on the internet, jeez....

You see what I did there? Jokes aside stadia is supposed to be now because I play it now, onlive back in 2010 was packed with way more features than this.

3 Kudos
Community Member

I disagree, respectfully.  I have came from PlayStation and Xbox as well as PC gaming and I don't look at stadia as replacing any of them.....yet.  I'm enjoying stadia for what it is, a decent platform that "could" be a lot better as features roll out.  I think Google missed a couple key areas.  1. Didn't release a dedicated tv box that does both stream movies as well as a stadia hub.  2.  No MAJOR exclusives (why would someone abandon Xbox or PlayStation for games they probably already own?).  They have the resources and money, Google should have invested in a massive multiplayer exclusive (such as world of  Warcraft or ESO.  Hate it or love it has WOW still a massive player base) and this would have brought people to stadia.

I am giving it time.  New gaming platform with a lot of potential.  Patience will be key.  Let's see what 4/28 announcement brings.  Hang in there.  Don't replace any consoles full time but see where stadia goes.

0 Kudos
Community Member

It definitely need time... The xbox series x and ps5 have no exclusives at all and that will last for at least 1 - 2 years... So established companies can launch a new console without exclusive is fine but for google it is not?

@ARGAH "stadia is supposed to be now because I play it now"... Failing to see tomorrow is exactly the issues with today's society and what lead to massive people rushing to food banks early in the pandemic... They fail to see beyond today...

0 Kudos
Community Member

@jayo2k not sure if your response is to my post about exclusive.  I didn't say it was ok for xb or ps not to have an exclusive but not ok for Google.  Maybe I wrote it in a bad way to come across like that.  What I meant was Google "could have" had an MMO exclusive to bolster it's player base.  It simply would have helped it's cause.

I don't play anything but PC any longer and haven't for a while.  I game stadia a few months and gave it a whirl, been s short time but I like it and plan to ride the waves.  I don't see myself with an Xbox series x or ps5 for many reasons but mainly I like the idea of stadia at this point. Loading from chrome has been very simple.  I'm more of a digital purchaser anyways and have been for a handful of years.  Some like physical media, I simply do not.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@jayo2k would you care to explain what you envisage the future of stadia bringing?

I know you said all you care about us click play and ease of access, that is now and of course you are content.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@ARGAH please do not take offence of what I said.

That being said, I like the audacity, the innovation.

Take the PS5 and the XSX, what innovation do they bring...? NONE, same old just with better graphic, and better graphic means larger games, larger games mean longer download and having to constantly uninstall games to install new ones... Do you know how large the next flight simulator is...? No consumer pc on earth can store this game in full... 2 Million Gb... 2 freaking million gb.. 20k terabytes...

I do not see how one can get rid of Stadia because you do not buy it, you just buy the game and play...

• There is a rumour about project chimera (using machine learning to make games... That mean if I understood correctly that even small team of 14 devs can make a game like World of warcraft in record time because the machine will take care of creating the assets and devs can focus on game logic).
  • Apparently (still a rumour so...) Stadia gen 2 run games better than the XSX, but I guess the 8k will eat lot of data).
  • I can put my hard earned money on something more useful than a $5-$700 console or a $3000 gaming PC because gaming is a non productive activity so spending that much is an non sense unless you earn money of it.
  • Stadia runs on powerful data center, so we can really imagine a giant battle royal of hundreds if not thousands players at once
0 Kudos
Community Member

@jayo2k: "Take the PS5 and the XSX, what innovation do they bring...? NONE, same old just with better graphic, and better graphic means larger games, larger games mean longer download and having to constantly uninstall games to install new ones... Do you know how large the next flight simulator is...? No consumer pc on earth can store this game in full... 2 Million Gb... 2 freaking million gb.. 20k terabytes..."

It's almost moot having debates about Stadia on a Stadia community site, but looking at things objectively...

1. Do you have any clue what the new SSDs and things like "Velocity Architecture" bring to the party?  No need for duplicate assets (yes, it's a thing they do to speed up loading on spinning discs) and compression yielding smaller packages.  Granted, local consoles don't have infinite storage and so if you download a lot you may need to uninstall or offload games to external storage.  Mind you, consider how many games you actively play at any one point in time.  You may have the odd favourite, but most just never get played again.  Just because Stadia shows you any and all games you have ever played in one place, it doesn't necessarily make that better.  It might be slightly more convenient on occasion, but I've never had an issue with 1TB of space.  It's like Google Music - the choice is overwhelming, so what most people do is download what they listen to most onto their phone or tablet so they can play it locally on a device with comparatively little storage.

2. The next Flight Simulator install is about 150GB (and not coming to Stadia, but will come to Xbox One/Series X).  Most consumer PCs and consoles can store this game in full.  The rest is generative and streamed from the cloud (sound familiar?)  Who cares if I have to download it?  It's only 150GB, and all games can be pre-loaded.  Would take me a couple of hours to download, no big deal.

3. Machine learning to assist games developers applies to ALL games development, not just Stadia.

4. Stadia Gen 1 is meant to be 10.7TFlops - almost twice Xbox One X.  Yet, games look either no different or perform worse.  Numbers mean nothing, and developers saying one thing also mean nothing until we end up in the real world.  Server farms rendering games as video feeds is a different proposition altogether and you WILL have to deal with compression.  Not so on local consoles.

5. It's funny how suddenly $500 worth of hardware is such a big deal when it comes to gaming.  Very narrow minded.  What about total cost of ownership and the price of games (that you admit is non-productive)?  To play games at full fidelity, you need to pay for PRO.  You can't sell the games, and there is no hardware to sell.  Going back to my first point, very few people actually go back to older games, especially franchises that get regular updates.  So, let's assume an average of $50 per game @ 24 games (1 per month for two years) plus hardware and subscriptions (both get free games so we can ignore those):

Buying Stadia premier, 24 games and 24 months of Pro is roughly $1,506

Buying Xbox One X, 24 games and 24 months of Live is roughly $1.630

Over 2 years, that's just £128 difference!  But...over the years you stop playing older games, and just because they are there in your menu doesn't mean they are worth playing or going back to.  You're stuck with them on Stadia.  At least with physical games you can sell them.  Even if you only sold half of those games for just $20, you end up roughly $112 better off with the Xbox One X yet have had no less fun or value from them.  Let's also not forget, when it comes to getting the next console it's not $500, it's only $300 because you can sell the old hardware.  But actually it's only $200 for the new console because you have $112 to put towards it from selling a few games.  

Like I said, you cannot just say "Xbox Series X" is $500 and there are way better things you can do with $500 that spend it on a games console, but also neglect everything else.   Sure, the above argument wavers a little bit if you buy digital games, but as I demonstrated earlier, even then the difference is not that great especially over a 2 year period.  It all depends on your gaming habits and preferences, but Stadia is about convenience, not power or value.  MS and Sony will have their equivalents very soon, and with WAY more games to play.

Don't get me wrong, cloud gaming is here to stay and Stadia is very convenient.  It's also very experimental at the moment, with glitches and stutters that that can ruin game sessions that would never happen with local play (like in F1 at high speeds just coming to a corner and it skips a few frames...into the wall or gravel and its game over). I tried it, I tried liking it, it's just not for me yet.  It'll always be there as an option and if/when it gets that killer exclusive game that I just can't live without, I can sign up again any time, play it and then cancel my sub again until the next big game.  It's very complimentary, but for me it's not a replacement for local gaming...not just yet.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Today my Wasabi controller has finally arrived and it works perfectly smooth, so now I can play Stadia. I have already complained enough and I have told Google what I think positively and negatively about its platform and its corporation, so I do not intend to extend my comments any longer.

Now I am just a spectator with nothing to say, I have practically all the games, so I have few incentives. A few weeks ago I returned to Star Citizen and I have preordered New World, today

I had a nice offer on Alien Day and Total War Shogun 2 gift.

I will wait for what they have to say in the Stadia Direct ... but I can only hope for more promises in the future and nothing in the present.

So I will continue in the shadows.

I have participated in your thread just because you are my friend ARGAH

1 Kudo
Community Member

Cheers @Whito I consider you and a few others as friends too and not internet strangers seen as though I've spent 4 or 5 months getting to know the few that post now and again, maybe this thread hits a nerve but been here long enough to ask fellow supporters if things are turning a little sour or so I thought....

1 Kudo
Community Member

@ARGAH Greetings to you too 😋 I leave Matt1 and Mad Dog Bravo Chronosp and Nilas there too.

I think I've participated enough, and if you're right at least I was getting sour.

So I prefer to let new users give their feedback.

I prefer to wait and see ... and well we can continue using the blog to chat about irrelevant things like the purchase of WHO by Bill Gates 🤣🤣🤣

1 Kudo
Community Member

Nice ARGAH moment I will always remember you although I sincerely hope to see you again. I also love soccer and my most beautiful moment was watching Messi and Ronaldinho play against Inter Milan, and my niece plays for the Argentina national team.

The thread is fine, express what one feels and see if others are also going through something similar or just became paranoid.

A Megacorporation like Google does not pay attention to opinions or feelings, they only understand numbers and profits.

Believe me it is not wrong to express anything, people talk with their credit card and that is what is damaging Stadia.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Come back later then? It's not like you're selling your Stadia console. Lol. We are all waiting for new games and features. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

OK guys obviously this thread is too much for some, for the people I made relationships with this is my favourite moment my entire life....

https://youtu.be/SLjIg_q80CU

I was Argah, take care guys will delete bookmark and never return, have a good one 😉

2 Kudos
Community Member

@ARGAH Great video. I’m an English man living in Scotland, so ever time Scotland win or England loose I hear about it from all my coworkers...! That said, I always hope for a Scotland win (except if playing England) and love to see France loose, so that video is spot on!

My thoughts on the topic, I think Stadia has a lot of potential that hasn’t been explored yet. Personally I’m happy just playing games so it works well for me but I can understand the frustration when you want something to be great and for some reason the features that seem like they should be easy to implement have not been (e.g. family sharing)...

@Whito  I was wondering where you had been...welcome back!!

I think it would be great if a few of us organised some times that we can be online on a certain game for multiplayer. I always need some help in destiny...as @Streamer events demonstrated...I am not so good at D2! 

2 Kudos
Community Member

Yeah I'm back PUBG baby cross play with console, funny how things can change just when you're about to lose hope 🙂

4 Kudos
Community Member

🎉

0 Kudos
Community Member

platform is young takes time to grow. EA as a supporter is also a huge win for stadia though, we just have to wait unfortunately. But stadia isn't going anywhere, just use it when you want it. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

agree

0 Kudos