cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Stadia Username #

Hey everybody, Apologies for asking this if it has already been asked (I couldn't find a post). Any ideas on the reasoning behind the # numbers following a Stadia username and whether this is likely to be taken away in the near future. Not sure about anyone else but they can be distracting when seeing other people on Destiny 2 for example. Cheers ; )
Stadia Username : HankePants#8141
1 Kudo
20 Replies
Community Member

@HankePants : None that I am aware of.  Buyers of the founders edition were given their tag names without the #, but just like Discord the use of the # and digits allows players tags to be unique but also giving folks the ability to select the name that they want (albeit with the #xxxx added automatically afterwards).

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
2 Kudos
Community Member

@Mad_Dog_Bravo thanks for the reply buddy. So are we saying that anyone can select the same username that I have for example HankePants and just have a different 4 digit code at the end? That seems a little unpersonalised from an account perspective. If somebody else can select the same username s myself. Cheers again.
2 Kudos
Community Member

@HankePants  yup that's exactly how it works. Unless you're a founder. Your name isn't "unique" and anyone else can have that same name. The #'s after the name, are what will "separate" you but yes anyone can claim the username "HankePants" they will just have another 4 digit # after their name than you do.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Sho Ok I understand what you are saying thanks. Perhaps it's just me moving from a Console gamer. I've never been a player on PC or any other platform. Simply Xbox or PlayStation for the past 15 years. Where your name is personal and cannot be replicated and gave more of a sense of personalised identity. I see the rationale I do. But personally I see myself getting frustrated with seeing more than one user with the same name even if there are differences in their 4 digit codes. Especially if I'm trying to locate friends as the Stadia community ultimately grows and grows. But hey, this might just be me and some serious OCD on personalisation. I knew that the Founders had first choice on usernames but I didn't know that a Standard user can have their usernames replicated. Appreciate the replies though. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Member

No problem, n it's def understandable. I am not a PC gamer in anyway either, just I do know blizzard as well as discord operate the same way. I also agree with you, this is one of the main reasons I personally purchased the founders edition, so I could have a unique name that no one else can take. So I 100% understand where you're coming from man. It's just how some services like to do things. Also it's not too bad to find someone, even with all the usernames, when you search for a friend just always make sure you put their correct 4 digit # kinda thing. In ways it makes it more convenient for some and in others (such as yourself) I can def see where it's confusing or just seems out of control. Idk if they will ever change something like this though. Sorry I can't help any more than just letting you know that's sadly just how stadia is atm. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

That's ok. Hopefully something will develop in the future. I'm just devastated now finding this out as I did have a Founders Edition and created this name but unfortunately I had to return it just before Christmas due to unforeseen circumstances. I attempted to cancel the return the day after it was picked up but it was too late which removed my Founders Account. I had to purchase a Premiere Edition and I couldn't even use my 3 months free as I wanted to use my existing Stadia and Google Account. So I am currently paying the £8.99 Pro Subscription : ( to be honest it's been a complete mess for me and I'm even more devastated now. But I am enjoying my gaming time on Stadia. Just wish I could have kept my Founders Profile as I attempted to cancel the return. Anyway, I won't bore anyone anymore. Hope to see you out there.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I’m not impressed that those of us late to the party on founders but will be contributing the same subscription month on month are disadvantaged by none unique names.

Perhaps it was known about and I clearly missed the detail pre-order but upon receiving Stadia and disappointingly finding pointlesss unique numbers at the end of my chosen username, I contacted Google to be basically informed “that’s the way it is” or something to that effect.

Not great and definitely needs addressing. It wouldn’t be bad if you were given the next available number, I.e. #1 if the username hadn’t already been chosen, or better still just give us the username format like founders get. What is the point of limiting it now?

Google should embrace those “few” of us who are currently committing to this service rather than dividing us and stop this nonsense.

0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

I think that the numbers are absolutely fine and are simply a functional method of allowing users to have any username they want. However, I think that PRO subscribers should be able to CHOOSE a name and a number (although they wouldn't be able to remove the number altogether) as this would be a cool little perk and is similar to what Discord offer with Nitro. I think this would please a lot of users! However, I think the numbers should stay and that Founders should continue to be the only ones without as they were the first of the first on board.

Stadia player since 19/11/2019!
3 Kudos
Community Member

On, say, PSN, if your chosen name is taken, theres nothing you can do about it. So you may decide to add a number at the end. Player1. Player23. Player2020 etc.

This is no different, it just chooses the number for you. I believe some games may be able to code the display of the username as to remove whatever appears after the #. 

The bonus for founders is that their username can not be replicated. I know that there will never be another CookieMcCrumble on Stadia, with or without any numbers at the end, and this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy lol 

CookieMcCrumble on Stadia, PSN, XBL, Steam, uPlay, Origin.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I actually regret misunderstanding the # thing when they explained it, I thought you only got hashtag IF username was taken and knew nobody would have my very unique name so didn't rush for founders, hate my name now and get jelly at the people without the numbers 😞

0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm sure I've seen somewhere a reference to contacting Google if you want information about changing your name. Seem to recall it being in the profile somewhere but as of right now I cant remember exactly where, might be worth looking into, not had any info on this though so I dont know how much or how little they will be able to help

EDIT: In fact cancel that. Open the Stadia app, click your profile icon. Under user name, theres a link to contact Google if you want to change your name.

Screenshot_20200126-163449_Stadia.jpg

1 Kudo
Community Member

Thanks @CookieMcCrumble  but it's not the name I hate it's the # and numbers which really irk me, I could've got founders but I held off till after new year having a family to support and birthdays dropping in December along with the festive period decided to wait not understanding I would have the # and numbers after my name.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Ah, gotchya. Shame, it's quite nice having that little personal footprint 🙂

0 Kudos
Community Member

As others mentioned, the # is standard on some other sites. But also, for people to whom the name was important, becoming a founder allowed that little "extra" benefit of not having the has, and I think they did a decent job of making it clear that the name was a big Founder's feature.

Basically, it's the same idea behind crowdfunding. The people who commit to a new product early, always get a better deal (2 for one, or a lower price, etc.) for whatever the crowdfunded product is. Then the second round gets a good deal, but not as good as the first. Maybe not 2 for one, or maybe the price is slightly higher etc. Becoming a Founder allowed Google to go to investors and potential partners and say "We already have a commitment from X number of people for our product", which allows them to make deals that are crucial to creating the service.

Also UNLIKE crowdfunding, the great thing about becoming a Founder is that Google didn't charge you a dime until it was time to ship the product. I think a lot of people didn't pay attention to that. So I signed up on day one (June 6th) not actually having the money ready. But I knew I would be able to put the money aside by the time November rolled around. So that's what I did.

I think it's great having the Stadia badge with my name and not a # or numbers. And I think it was a pretty fair and normal process the way they decided that.

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

I wish with the names that the capitalization was also locked. For example, I am the only scarlet, all lowercase. But there are a lot of Scarlet, with the uppercase S. It makes it a little confusing when people try to add me haha. So there could eventually be a cookiemecrumble with all lowercase.

scarlet_stream on YouTube and Twitter
member of Stadia Source stream team
1 Kudo
Community Member

As already mentioned, you only get an EXCLUSIVE name if you're a founder (aka no one else can EVER have that name and you will NOT have numbers after your name you will have the founders badge next to your name) if you are NOT a founder then your name is NOT unique and ANYONE else can have that same name. (Hence the #'s after the said name) it's not like discord is the ONLY service to do this as well, blizzard does the same thing. Example there can be 100 users with the username "Thebestever85" and how you tell those 100 users apart, is with those #'s, so you will have "Thebestever85#1124" " Thebestever85#1125" etc. Only founders get a "unique" name that no one else can get, n as I stated above, you see that from their founders badge. I honestly don't see a problem with it, n as mentioned before many other services do this same exact thing. Discord, blizzard etc.
2 Kudos
Community Member

That's dumb they should do it like PS4 and Xbox where I make a username and it'll tell u if it's taken or notcnot on console like those everyone has a unique name and they won't do number but I do understand if you really want a name you can have it with Stadia buttttt u get numbers after like hmmmm uh. Lol

1 Kudo
Community Member

With you on that one @GreatOmegaX 

They say common sense isn't that common. The naming convention at sign up was confusing. I thought that I could select any name and if it was taken, then I just choose another name.

The numbers are irritating to put it mildly.

I have Xbox and Xbox has it simply nailed....

It's tough trying to follow the Stadia rationale here.

As I say common sense etc etc....

0 Kudos
Community Member

Hey! I am looking for active players to add to my friends list. 

Username: Khaoskitty#4022

Game list:

Destiny 2

Red Dead Redemption 2

Get Packed

The Crew 2

Grid

Zombie Army 4: Dead War

Tom Clancy's: The Division 2

Stacks on Stacks on Stacks

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Monopoly

Samurai Showdown 

Borderlands 3 

Feel free to add me, I play daily. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Yeah I think it's dumb....as hell like if I wanted a number in my user name i would put one. They didn't even say uh were going to put a number after your username once you create a user name like what... 

0 Kudos