cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Slow download consumes 99% speed&ping

Jump to solution

So I am currently using a stable and good connection wifi speed of 80 mbps and 11 milisecond ping/latency. On my desktop pc. In north europe.

When I download an update for a game, wether on battle net or steam, a download that uses max 7 mbps as tested.

Then testing my internet speed, during this download. The remaining download speed of my internet connection becomes ~ 1 mbps and the ping/latency raises all the way to 39 milisecond.

Both cases tested several times.

During the small download, It is hardly even playable or visible when I'm on stadia. Very glitchy. Even tho the active download is only using 6 mb/s. 

I wonder what might be causing this 7600% efficiency loss. And if it is normal.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

Please note that Mbps is not the same as MB/s.

If your are downloading with 6 MB/s your 80 Mbps is mostly used. The max you can achieve is 10 MB/s if your internet line has the ideal speed.

So yes if you are downloading with 6MB/s you don't have enough bandwidth enough to play Stadia.

Want to know more you could search on Google: 80 Mbps to mb.

View solution in original post

3 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Member

Please note that Mbps is not the same as MB/s.

If your are downloading with 6 MB/s your 80 Mbps is mostly used. The max you can achieve is 10 MB/s if your internet line has the ideal speed.

So yes if you are downloading with 6MB/s you don't have enough bandwidth enough to play Stadia.

Want to know more you could search on Google: 80 Mbps to mb.

View solution in original post

3 Kudos
Community Member

Thanks. I didn't know this. 

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

Many factors here too.. your SSD, speed, and bus lanes, and of course CPU. But if solely talking network, then you can setup your QOS, QOS is short for quality of service and is available on most modern routers. It allows shaping of data to your type. if you are a gamer, you want it set here, which will throttle down the other devices on the network to allow for your preferred data to flow as the most important, and not allowing complete saturation of resources doing the other tasks. Please note though, I found this useless on my Gigabyte network, using QOS seemed to not provide any benefit, probably because the data goes so quickly and I have a powerhorse cpu etc, that getting the tasks done as fast as possible was the better option... 😄

Regards, Dr. Centz
1 Kudo