cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Seriously though... These prices?!

Ok... For real, now that the already overpriced "Pro" deals are gone, who's paying these prices for games? $60 for ASSASSIN'S CREED?! And that's for the version without the dlcs and without the season pass. If you want those it's $119... Or, you can just pay another $40 for the season pass on here.That's.. Crazy. I don't want to hear about how it's the developers setting the prices. If that's the case, then it doesn't look like these developers consider themselves partners at all with Google. It almost feels like they're intentionally overpricing titles so that they can price their "exclusives" lower and get people to buy them. Maybe I'm the one who is crazy, but I'm going to see how these 3 months go before I will buy any game on this platform. The whole thing looks like one big money grab.

3 Kudos
21 Replies
Community Member

Prices are more or less the same as console and valves steam. So uhm... Not sure what prices you expected but these seem normal to me.
2 Kudos
Community Member

@Radium I'm expecting them to be better. For a service that's trying to break into an established market and build a customer base. You also can't compare these prices as "the same" as Steam for example because Steam has sales ALL THE TIME, and when they don't you can go to Humble Bundle, Greenman Gaming, Fanatical and a BUNCH of other sites to get crazy discounts on these games all the time. People who actually buy games, specifically for PC, hopefully know that they almost never will have to pay full price, at least not for older games like AC Odyssey. But even for more recent games like Mortal Kombat 11, SOMEBODY is going to have a discount on most PC games every week.

When you don't have other avenues to buy, then that means a company has 2 options... charge full price and say screw the customer, or charge good prices, build your customer base, and then when you have a competitive product, you can compare yourself to those console makers for example. But when your best argument is "Oh you can play Stadia on your TV" and I have a PC sitting at my desk with a 49" monitor on it, that's not much of a selling point if the PC game costs considerably less. I want them to be successful, and I could be dead wrong. But if they are planning to "compete" by offering THE SAME prices as the major console makers when SO MANY PEOPLE already own consoles, how are they going to succeed? At the very least they have to offer something in the beginning to build the customer base. Right now all they offer is a "free" game or 2 every month that you can play as long as you're a paying member, and regular or high game prices. How do you build a new product that way?

0 Kudos
Community Member

Cloud gaming dsnt seem to be for you. The service just started 1st sale is over. Each game they have is no more than 4 hours work for me money wise and many others that work can easily afford them. Why did you buy (maybe you didn't) if your not willing to shell out for the games? There will never be a need for codes for games on stadia even if there was a gift system it would be send it to account not a code safer that way.

And yes I honestly find you the weird one as stated in your post sorry.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Gift card currency maybe at some point

2 Kudos
Community Member

@Radium Having like a digital wallet the likes of the one on PSN that you can redeem codes from gift cards to add to that would be a great addition.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Also with pro. So far you should have 4 games that total more than a years paid subscription not to mention the fact your saving money on electricity from not having to run a rig at home. I still don't see your gripe.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Radium People are still going to run their PCs and consoles though right? Am I not gonna use my PC and console because I bought Stadia? Do you own any games on other platforms? You're still going to use them right? No one is saving electricity of all things because of Stadia, lol.

Here's a bigger question... Are you re-buying games you already own to play them on Stadia? I bet most people aren't planning to do that. Like I said, I get where you're coming from. The "free" games do make up somewhat for the subscription price. My gripe is what I said. Google has to make people switch and decide that it's more valuable to buy their games on Stadia than on PC or consoles that they already own. If they can't get people to do that, then the service can't survive and that hurts me and you who invested in it, not Google. They'll just move on to something else. I like the service, I want it to grow and get better, and I think they need to compete better on pricing to make that happen... at least in the beginning. That's my gripe. 
And I'm not saying they WON'T... I'm simply asking them to do it, because right now they're not doing it.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Also imagine the amount of wasted money on console switch overs next gen. Same with pc is support. All stadia games will forever be compatible no need to buy a so called remastered version of the same games every time the tech changes.

I've ran the math I dunno how Google makes money of this service as subscription alone isn't enough to make a profit to keep the electricity bill for running the server farms. The mind boggles lol

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Radium I do agree with your last post... LONG TERM, Stadia probably saves money because there's no need to switch over a console. But even that, how often is that 2, 3, years for most people. SO Google has to earn a market share so that they can EXIST long term in order to outshine consoles because of that benefit of not having to upgrade.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Radium 
"I've ran the math I dunno how Google makes money of this service as subscription alone isn't enough to make a profit to keep the electricity bill for running the server farms. The mind boggles lol"

Lol, I'm definitely NOT saying they should GIVE us the games and be a subscription only service with free games. They'd never last that way. ALL I'M SAYING is reel people in with some great pricing up front, and then once they are in full launch and all the features of the service are working, and everyone sees how great it is and they have a large consumer base they can compete on equal pricing with the console and PC game sellers. What's your gripe with my argument? EVERYONE loves a discount!! lol

2 Kudos
Community Member

Same goes for EA steam I think is still private but they take like a 30% cut of any game put on there client

0 Kudos
Community Member

I left having a pc rig a long time ago. Dead up of badly optimised games costs of upgrades and still not getting the performance I paid for. Nvidia geforce now came out still in beta but relies on steam and runs on Windows all the games still don't run well and that's just in 1080p 

I'm going all in on this service. Runs on Linux Mac graphics 4k future proofed upgrades 

2 Kudos
Community Member

I am excited about no more downloads and updates... that's great. And to be honest, I'm PROBABLY going forward with any future buying on THIS platform too. I think it's great. But I still think in the beginning, the prices shouldn't be equal to everyone else. And for you and me on PC, it's easier to say goodbye, but for people with consoles, it's not that easy.

And GIVE ME SOME KUDOS MAN! I've Kudo'd you like 3 times even though we disagree, lmao!

3 Kudos
Community Member

I agree with @Xevioso, games on Stadia (without discount) are too expensive. This service is very great, but has Xevioso said, if they want to succeed, they have to make Stadia more attractive for people who already play on PC/Console. At least at the beginning .

@Radium, I know that the price of games is the same on Xbox Live or PSN but it doesn't mean that is the right thing to do. In most time, it's cheaper to buy a physical game, and I don't find it normal.

A good start would be to have something like a permanent 10% discount for Pro.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I don't agree at all the sub costs less than the amount it costs to run a console or pc a month free games on top of that and normal market prices with the odd sale... You want more? Your greedy!

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Radium I'm not greedy, I already bought a game on Stadia and I will buy more in the future. I'm okay to pay a game at full price on Stadia because I'm aware of this technology's quality. But not most of people will think like this, especially people who didn't try Stadia.

Don't forget that we are all Stadia player, and we all want that Stadia to succeed. A suggestion is not necessarily a criticism 😉

2 Kudos
Community Member

You do understand that pricing is not solely Google's discretion, right? The publishers of the games have a MAJOR and pretty much the final say on how much they are in order to allow their games on the platform. Prices being in line with other digital stores, outside of whatever sales each one might run with is not something you can reasonably complain about.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I think Stadia games are totally overpriced at the moment. I don't understand the decision for these prices at this early phase of Stadia. There are still a lot of problems and important announced features are missing. It would be easy for google to give us early adopters a good discount for games. At least until everything everting works as it's promised by google.
2 Kudos
Community Member

@Razza @Radium like I said I think they need to do better in the beginning. They just released Darksiders Genesis and it's $10 more than on all the PC platforms. Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle all selling it for $29.99. You keep talking about saving monthly electricity by not running PC, but that's not that much of a savings because MOST people are still going to run their PC for games they already own and for other stuff they normally use their PC for. 

Besides, if they keep charging more for each game then that wipes out any savings right? 

I know Google isn't setting the prices, it's the developers. But that's what I meant when I said it feels like the developers aren't even truly partnering with Google. It feels like they're just trying to take advantage of the new platform by overcharging customers who are excited to be on the platform. 

IGN wrote an article specifically about the Darksiders price. THQ refused to comment on the price difference, they didn't even try to justify it. 

I don't want them to give away the games, I know they have to make a profit or this platform will fail. But they can do better than what they're doing right now, that's all I'm saying.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Xeviosoit seems that publishers are going with the same pricing model as consoles based off the Darksiders Genesis release. 

I'm not sure what you'd want Google to do here and not sure what you mean about it seeming like they're not partnering with Google. The pricing has zero to do with Google.

I can remember complaining years ago on the Playstation blog about game pricing and one of the community reps there replying to myself and others that they give their own feedback on pricing to the publishers but even there Sony had zero say in the pricing, it is the publishers and publishers only deciding price.

Any criticism of Google over the regular pricing of games is horrible misplaced and quite frankly unfair.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Razza I don't know about horribly misplaced or unfair. I have turned the corner on this though after seeing a lot of unfounded complaints about pricing and other stuff. Even I was wrong about some prices. 

I know the developers set the pricing. The only fault I have with Google is I feel like they could probably offer incentives to the publishers in the beginning to get some even better prices while they grow the platform. So I don't think it's unfair. The developers/publishers certainly decide in the end. But Google could probably influence those decisions.

But overall, I'm finding I was wrong. The pricing is fair enough and the pro discounts are decent. I even bought the Shadow of the Tomb Raider at the current pro price. It will be nice to see how this platform moves forward. Mostly I'm positive, and I've had a good experience. 

0 Kudos