cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Resolution/HDR/Framerate info in Stadia app

I would really appreciate an honest information about the native rendering resolution, the framerate and as well the availability of HDR of all games in the Stadia shop/app.

At least 60fps is very important for streaming at low latency and buying a game first and then finding out that certain features are not available is far from ideal.

9 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Member

@MarkusXM : If Google provided that level of information as to what resolutions and frame rate are supported currently on the games it might actually make some folks think twice before buying a game...

Giving users an informed choice as to what to purchase...what a novel idea that is....

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
1 Kudo
Community Member

Well it's true that it may not seem to be a smart business move for Google. But it would be one to regain some trust from the customers. Stadia itself works far better for me than I ever expected but it's not great that I don't know which games to buy without Digital Foundry checking them first.

To provide everybody with some information about the games I bought though...

GRID (close to 4K with variable resolution; mostly solid 60fps; HDR)

Mortal Kombat 11 (close to 4K; 60 fps, even the fatalities etc. that were 30 fps on consoles; HDR)

Gylt (variable resolution up to 4K; mostly stable 60 fps; HDR)

Trials Rising (4K; 60 fps; no HDR)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (4K/30fps or around 1440p/60fps; HDR)

I didn't pixel count anything but this is what my eyes perceived 😉

0 Kudos
Community Member

Is that native resolutions or is that upscaled from 1080p?

We also know that not all games are actually being streamed at 4K either, as Destiny 2, for example, renders at a native 1080p and is then upscaled to improve quality, but never reaches 4K, Red Dead Redemption 2 renders at 1080p or 1440p, depending on what data rate you are using, and is then upscaled to 4K on a Chromecast Ultra.

1 Kudo
Community Member

That's the native game resolutions I was talking about. Again it's my perception and I didn't pixel count. I know the visual difference between 1080p and 4K though if I see it. Destiny 2 e.g. looks terribly blurry on Stadia and just doesn't have the fine details in the picture. You can tell that it's 1080p upscaled. Besides Shadow of the Tomb Raider and maybe Trials Rising all mentioned games probably render lower than native 4K but have an extremely detailed and clear picture. Upscaled form 1800p or so and maybe dynamic but they look excellent on a well calibrated 4K set. Destiny 2 does not! 😉 I used to have the XBOX One X versions of Trials Rising, MK11 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider and they all look as good (or extremely close to it) from a normal viewing distance on Stadia. That's the Stadia experience I was hoping for! Sad that the selection of games which live up to that promise is relatively limited so far.
1 Kudo
Community Member

Right now a few weeks after launch I am not going to sweat what’s 4K/60 or not too much. But long term like before Stadia opens its free tier they need to bump up the performance of some of these games otherwise what is the point of paying for Stadia Pro yes you get free games but you are also supposed to be getting 4K/60. 

I know technically we are getting an upscaled  to 4K image but that is not really a good look, at the minimum the specs should perform beyond a Xbox One X 

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

While I agree that more information is always welcome, I think that a streamlined trial system (play one hour of any game without any financial transaction taking place) would alleviate the need.  Then people could just try it and decide if it is up to snuff enough for them or not based on actual time with the game.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Perhaps @GraceFromGoogle  could actually point us to a list of games that natively support 4K/60fps on Stadia as it is hard to get this information out of Support in a meaningful way...

Charles 9:24 am
All games should be playable in 4k/60fps

Mad Dog Bravo 9:25 am
Well I don't believe you when you say that all games a 4K 60fps because I know for a fact that some of them aren't.

Mad Dog Bravo 9:25 am
Red Dead Redemption 2 : Has a reference to 4K maximum output resolution & 30 FPS maximum frame rate.

Mad Dog Bravo 9:26 am
So that right there tells me that that is one game on Stadia that doesn't support 60fps at 4K resolution.

Charles 9:27 am
Phil Harrison, our Head of Stadia already confirmed this in Twitter.

Mad Dog Bravo 9:29 am
That was prior to the launch of Stadia, he promised that earlier in the year, and then back tracked on it just before Stadia founders launch. Do you mean to tell me that he has now since the founders launch stated that all games are 4K 60fps?

At which point I was directed to the following Twitter posted in October as being the only information that support have....

Yes, all games at launch support 4K. We designed Stadia to enable 4K/60 (with appropriate TV and bandwidth). We want all games to play 4K/60 but sometimes for artistic reasons a game is 4K/30 so Stadia always streams at 4K/60 via 2x encode.

So there you have it, Stadia will play everything at 4K/60 even if the game itself doesn't support it.  There is no definitive list as to what games are actually playing natively at 4K/60 with or without Stadia streaming via a 2x encode.

At which point I realised that trying to get the information out of support was like trying to get blood from a stone, they don't have the information and it doesn't appear to be available anywhere...

2 Kudos