cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Playing RDR2 on a 13" macbook; should I even try?

I have a 13 inch macbook pro with the following specs:
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

Processor: 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

It's the 2017 version. 

Can I play RDR2 on it, if I get from Stadia? Anyone tried it yet?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Community Member

The specs doesn't matter.

Your internet matters.

If you have a good internet, try it.

If you aren't sure about your internet, try it, and if you can't play, you can easily request a refund within 1 hour and 59 minutes of play time (max 14 days after your purchase).

2 Kudos
Community Member

@Nilas 

Thanks Nilas!

My internet speed is about 24 mbps. 

If I use the same wifi network my roomate uses, will he have problems in terms of the internet getting slow?

In other words, do I need to get a better/personal wifi network for stadia? I'm just worried about the wifi becoming slow for other users of the same wifi network.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Yes you may be affected by the usage of your room mate if he use a lot of brandwidth.

Your connexion should be enough to play in 1080P/60FPS (if the game you play is programmed to play in 60FPS). 4K may not work.

I think you should be trying either :

- buy any game in the store and if your internet isn't fast enough the game will pixelate. In this case you can easily request an instant refund in the Stadia app (limit : less than 2h of play time and less than 14 days after purchase).

- or you can subscribe to Stadia pro to play the free games. The first month is free so if it doesn't work you can unsubscribe before getting billed.

This is the best way to see if you have a stable connexion and if you can play when your room mate uses internet.

1 Kudo
Community Member

The number of devices connected to your WiFi will affect the overall internet speeds. For 24mbps, I recommend no more than 3 devices connected simultaneously while you're streaming a game on Stadia. Also, I believe 35mbps is the recommended speed for maximum resolution of 1080p. Anything lower than 35mbps will result in 720p (and lower). Your fps might decrease as well.

You should check your router's gigahertz frequency emission. It's probably 2.4ghz. You can get another router with 5ghz or increase your internet speeds. But if your current router is a dual bandwidth, then you should have decent streaming quality.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Community Member

Everyone has already nailed it but I want to double down on checking if your router is dual band. If it is, try to use whichever band your roomate isn't on. Also, will your macbook be running over wireless?

0 Kudos
Community Member

I play on a MacBook Pro, 2017 or 2018 (I can't remember). It works great when I'm hooked to Ethernet, so if you can do that, I highly recommend using an Ethernet cable. I've been running things like Destiny 2, Turing Test, Elder Scrolls, and a few others pretty flawlessly if I'm not trying to stream-share at the same time. If you're going to stream what you game, a MacBook Pro is not the best for that. But if you just want to play games, the MBP will be great!

scarlet_stream on Mixer & Twitter
1 Kudo
Community Member

Specs does not matter... I also have the 13 inch 2017 MacBook Air and it plays just fine, just this MacBook screen is crap but this is an apple issue not stadia. Make sure you disable location service on your Mac otherwise you will experience lot of lags and freeze.

I play on wifi and I experience no lag

0 Kudos
Community Member

@seneca15 

As others have said, no need to invest money and 'risk' it.

If your WiFi holds up on any game (it will comfortably), then Red Dead will run perfectly.  Stadia isn't about the specs of your Macbook at all.

For what its worth, trying Stadia on my Macbook on a free trial sold me completely.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Oh, and welcome to a very pleasant world of never having to worry about 'can I run xyz' or 'does it need an update' ever again.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Thank you!

3 Kudos