cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

My issue with stadia game pricing

I'm a computer, mouse and keyboard is superior in every possible way player. I love the idea of stadia, if you want my money, you best lose this idea that you are a console thus you should get to charge more for the game you are selling. I simply will not pay a higher price for a game I want to play knowing that is cheaper if I just buy the digital download and play it on my PC solely. If you want my money then you need to make it worth me wanting to buy on stadia. Unless it's an mmo I don't usually replay older games once I have beaten them so the idea of stadia going under and me losing my game library isn't really that big of a deal to me. But you have to make it worth buying on your platform instead of digital downloading.
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Community Member

If you won't pay console prices then don't get into stadia. The fact of the matter is stadia is more like a console than it is a PC. Google has already shown that games can be on sale so it's not like we won't see differences in prices in the future but I highly doubt it'll be PC level low. PC games have always been lower than console, I know it sucks for PC players but if you don't like it don't play on this platform. Personally I think Stadia needs more time to bake anyway. I love the concept but there are some fine details it's missing.
3 Kudos
Community Member

Stadia is an arcade in the cloud. There is no console. The consumer owns none of it. Will we get any refund for the games when we op out of Stadia? No.
0 Kudos
Community Member

opt out*

0 Kudos
Community Member

@ANile8r According to Google execs statements, you will OWN the games you buy. If you opt to go with the base, free subscription, you will still be able to play any games you purchased (not claimed, but actually bought). And they stated that in the worst case, if Google should fail that they would want to make their users whole. They didn't say how exactly, but most likely it means if this platform fails and you bought games, which developers got paid for, you'd probably get a digital code to redeem on steam or on the developers websites like Ubisoft or whatever. 

The only thing you don't own are the "Pro" games that they let you play for free as a paid subscription member. Whatever you buy you own... assuming we can believe them, lol.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I never understood why STADIA has to have console pricing and couldn't be competitive with PC pricing, why are people always saying "this is how it has to be", absolutely not, it doesn't have to be that way we see immense deals every day for these games which are older now. STADIA doesn't have to follow the console mold, it doesn't even have to follow the PC mold, they can really capitalize on being the best place to get games by having undeniable deals, this is a billion dollar company it makes atrocious amounts of money to take a LOSS to do that for the first couple of years.

BUT i don't think google cares about gaming anyways and the more i read people saying "This console is not for you" turns me off , because a console should be for EVERYONE.

2 Kudos
Community Member

I think we need to give it time they will figure it out, I was really thinking about it - when you travel or you go to a hotel and you use the hotel wifi you can just pop up a screen and play your games on it which is pretty rad.

The easiest thing anyone can do is buy the games on the console you already have or pc? no one is forcing you to buy those games for stadia you should buy it where it's more affordable.

I also think STADIA first party games are going to be free just like Microsoft first party games are on XBOX, I ALSO think google is smart enough to release their first party games on steam/gog as well to maximize profit and also maximize the USERBASE so we have tons of people to play with.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Funny, I think there is no way google will release their first party games anywhere. Mainly for technical reasons but also think about it, one of the biggest complaints is that stadia has no exclusives. Why would they lean away from that fix?
0 Kudos
Community Member

@Doomsday01 As has been stated in many threads already, Stadia/Google doesn't set the prices, the developers do. I'm sure they'll set the prices on their own games once they start developing, but for the major studio titles, the developers and publishing companies set the pricing.

Aside from that... What's with the complaints? Stadia has been live for only 6 weeks! In that time, they have given us 6 "free" games! They only have 26 games on the platform right now, so they've given away almost one quarter of the games they have.... And... Nobody is even paying a monthly subscription yet.

There are some legitimate complaints here when it comes to pricing, but really it only applies to the fact that for holiday sales everywhere else the game prices have been way lower than they have been here. But that's only for holiday sales. In general the pricing has been comparable and as I said... Google doesn't set the pricing. 

And why would someone who is so gung ho about keyboard and mouse gaming bother with Stadia in the first place and then complain about the pricing? It's meant to be a console experience without the console. That's why the developers are charging console prices. I'm not knocking you, lots of people love keyboard and mouse gaming. I wish I was better at it! I suck at mouse gaming!! But if it means that much to you, this probably isn't the platform for you anyway. The whole point is to give people a console experience that's portable.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Doomsday01 If anything I say here sounds rude, I don't mean it that way. I disagree with a lot of your OP. First of all, if you're a "computer, mouse and keyboard is superior in every possible way player" then what was your interest in Stadia in the first place? It MEANT to be a console experience without the console. Basically a portable, plug and play console platform. So it probably doesn't suit your preferences from the start.

Also, because it is meant to be like (or be better than) a console experience, is why the pricing is closer to console pricing than PC pricing. But let's talk about the pricing. As it is meant to be, it is comparable to console pricing, but the Pro Deals have been pretty decent. The PROBLEM I have seen with pricing is that when the other sites, Steam, Greenman, GOG etc... have sales, their price are WAY better than the Stadia prices. That really showed during the holiday sales. So I think we need to see better prices when the same games are having sales on other sites. 

The bigger problem with pricing is that Google/Stadia doesn;t set the prices. The developers and publishing companies set the prices. A perfect example was last week Ubisoft had AC Odyssey Ultimate for sale for $42 on THEIR store, but it was still $119 here. That sale is over now, but if the developers are really partners with Google, then they shouldn't be having those kinds of sales on their own sites, and still charging full price here. 

But as long as the developers control the prices of the major titles, they're probably going to charge console prices here on Stadia. We heard recently that Google acquired Typhoon Studios so once they start developing their own games and setting their own pricing, things might change. Hopefully as this platform grows, and they can really compete with the consoles, then they can also offer competitive sale prices. 

The last thing I will say is this. Stadia has been live for only about 6 weeks. In that time, they have already given us 6 "free" games. They still only have 26 games on the platform, so they've given away almost a quarter of their existing games already. I think as the library grows with both major titles, self-developed exclusives, and Indie games, the pricing of things will stabilize. But it's still SUPER early. And I do think that this might be the wrong platform for you if you're all about mouse/keyboard/PC gaming. That's not a knock on you, many people love that! I wish I was better at it, I stink when it comes to mouse and keyboard gaming, lol! But they intend this platform to FEEL like a console experience without the hardware.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I also own an xbox. I have had several PlayStations as well. A computer guy can still like consoles even if you feel the computer is superior in every way. I will admit there are games that they keyboard and mouse may not be the best controller for that game but those are usually console exclusive anyway.

As for Google not setting pricing. Think about that for a second. A company runs a huge sale but leaves stadia price the same? Why would they do that? If every company continues to do that it will kill stadia all together then nobody will enjoy it. 

I haven't had any real issues actually playing my games with stadia so I'm not complaining about performance. Just frankly unless it is a console exclusive type game, I will not pay console prices for it when the computer version is much cheaper.

I will agree with you that the ones that are on sale are usually closer to PC prices and the few games I have bought have all been bought on sale.

While I disagree with a lot of the YouTube videos damning stadia, they do have at least one point that I agree with and that is stadia released way to early and frankly is in an identity crisis right now. Ok two things I agree with them on, the commerical is both awesome and cringe worthy at the same time. Of course they think it's just cringe worthy.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I do think there's a problem when the developers are setting prices higher here than other places. That Ubisoft/AC Odyssey one last week really bugged me because Ubisoft has been a "partner" with Google in this since the beta. But it's only been 6 weeks. I think the developers are saying Google has to show them that the platform can be profitable before they will really work on the pricing. I hope it gets better, but it's not as bad as it seems.

I've been hoping they would give AC Odyssey as a Pro "free" title. I'm still hoping that when they open up the platform to everyone that maybe they will give that game to kind of attract a bigger player base. I think they'll have to give up some major title to do so. But we'll see, it's still early. I think it'll be at least 6 months before we can really get an idea what this platform is going to really offer.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I think Stadia pricing is largely correct. It's not a product aimed at existing PC players. 

Even if games are £10 dearer on Stadia than PC, how many games would you need to buy to cover the cost of a decent gaming PC.

Likewise for a console, how many Stadia games will you be able to buy with the same money that is required to buy a new PS4 Pro, Xbox One X or better yet, the new consoles that will be coming out. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

Have no issue with the pricing because never plan on buying any, will pay the sub and play my free ones.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I think there are two things to consider here.

1.) Hardware Costs: Stadias big advantage is, that you don‘t need the hardware. So next time you have to upgrade your hardware, consider a fraction of this cost and add it to the steam price.

2.) Stadia is a new platform: And on new platforms prices are often a bit more expensive. At the beginning of the PS4 publishers charges a lot more for almost identical PS3 Ports. They did that, because on new platforms there aren‘t many games and this means very few competition. With more time and more games, i think the prices will get better.

That said, for such a young service, I think the prices are actually quite good. We got already 6 free games and nearly every full price game received a pro discount in only 6 weeks. For example many criticize Shadow of the Tomb Raider with it‘s 60 bucks price tag, but you could already get this for only 24 bucks.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I actually bought a playstation 4 for 2 dollars. They gave me a loaf of bread. I plugged it in to the tv today, with a spring onion. But the company that sold it to me told I have to call the company who gave me the spring onion to find out why it is not functioning accordingly.

So went to the beach, found myself a big vortexual shell, and I placed it against my ear, and I said "Hello, God. This is me... Why is my spring onion not functioning accordingly?" 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Stadia is neither a pc or a console. It has the hardware of a pc sure but, it has it's own OS much like PlayStation and Xbox does. So every game has to be customized for port to the stadia. The issue is some developers ( yes you Ubisoft) take the lazy way out and tend to used a crude version of the pc port version on stadia. This si why in games like Breakpoint you have so many issues with the game. Like GUI ones ( ability menu). If the devs actually took the time to make a real port for stadia all games would play like Destiny does. But most companies ( I said devs before but its actually the publishers who are to blame) want to put in as little work as possible while gaining as much profit as possible. The plus side is as stadia grows and more people realize the benefits of having it. It'll force the Publishers and Developers to put in the work for a great experience on stadia to capitalize on the consumers that use it.

Army2willis
0 Kudos
Community Member

I want to try to have my say even if I am not very good with English ... google translator helps.

I am a PC player I have always had powerful PCs to play the latest games.

Unfortunately now my PC is getting old and I don't have the money to get a new one with the Geforce 2080 TI. For this reason, having a 1Gb fiber optic connection, I decided to try Stadia. I must say that I am very happy but I am also a bit sorry for the high price of the games.

I play with Mouse and Keyboard, I don't know how to use the controller because I can use Stadia with controller on TV as if it were a console for me it is only an added value but not necessary at all.

Accustomed to PC prices for older games I think it is absurd to have to pay full price for a game that is even one year old. Moreover, due to its nature, Stadia necessarily brings disadvantages that digital copying for PC does not have. With staff:

• You cannot play Offline
  • You have no control plan on the game files and therefore on any mods and modifications.
  • No Nude Patch for games (this is a joke)
  • Sporadic network slowdowns make the game unplayable.
  • You cannot keep a game running all day, pause it and restart it whenever you want because rightly Stadia must free up resources on the datacenter if you don't use the game.
  • You can't make graphics changes even if, in my opinion, it would be necessary (maybe motion blur or excessive antialiasing annoys me) but the Stadia games seem to be able to decide how they want the settings to be put .. I understand which is a developer problem, not a stadia one, but still what is currently seen on games.
  • The quality of the conversion for Stadia does not necessarily mean that it is comparable to that for the console or PC given the haste of the developers.

And then it's a question of Marketing ... Stadia's entry into the market has not been the best, it has brought with it numerous criticisms. If you want customer loyalty, at least the first period, prices must be low and people who are PC gamers or Console Gamers are inclined to switch to this type of entertainment, or at least as an alternative to their PS4 or PC.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I have made two purchases so far on stadia ..
I took Ghost Recon Breakpoint at a full price in my opinion excessive, I bought it only because I love the Ghoot Recon saga. And I must say that I was disappointed by the bugs and the graphic rendering it has on Stadia. (although happy to be able to play it since I wasn't running on PC)
and then I took Rage 2, I don't like the game mode too much but the price was tempting and I enjoy the game!
here you read? I said "the price was tempting" ... if the prices are tempting people, like me, buy and play.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I agree even though they had ghost recon for half price up until Christmas day. The fact that we never know when they are doing sales and then they always show up outside of pay periods is kind of annoying. This is something I agree they need to work on. (I am one of the people that got GRB for half off) even though we ended up getting an older version of the game and to this day still have not received the update to play the raids.

Army2willis
0 Kudos
Community Member

You get what you pay for, Steam games are usually cheaper but are poorly optimized and you're rolling the dice on if the game will even run properly/at all.

Outside of two games, no other games have any major problems on Stadia. One of the two with a problem was just a minor inconvenience that has since been fixed. The other game had one big problem that already existed and still exists on the Steam version but has since been fixed on Stadia.

1 Kudo
Community Member

That's interesting but you never mention what games you are talking about. If you could elaborate more so that I can gather accurate data that would be helpful.

Army2willis
0 Kudos
Community Member

At the end of the day: 

- Google is not enforcing a pricing policy with partnered dev houses. That may be a sign as to their confidence in their product AND ability to sway big dev houses to program for them.  

- Google is not subsidizing the game prices...safe for pro deals.   Perhaps putting their own skin in the software side in way of subsidy is prudent?  

...$10 /$15 more isnt a deal breaker on most games.  Im not too worried about that.  Hopefully if/when they gain clout pricing will normalize.  

1 Kudo
Community Member

I got all my games on stadia for cheap. I simply played stadia, every day, and as I logged in, they kept offering me more and more cheap games As if playing for free is not cheap enough. And then they even told me, do you want these games for cheap? And I said hmmm. And they said, "they will be yours forever. You don't even have to play them. Infact, we will take care of your ability to play them. For as long as we exist. You will always have the ability to play the games you bought from us, for cheap."

And I said, "but what about my parents? I really enjoy it that you want to addopt me like this, google."

And google said "You can still have your original parents. We just wanna be your extra parents for free, as an addition."

And I said, "Shut up! Take my money NOW!" 

It was love at first sight.

2 Kudos
Community Member

I just look at it as 9.99/month for 2 free games per month I can pause and instantly resume on all my devices. No waiting for updates or wasted time loading. Just "Hey Google, let's murder fools" and instantly im jumped in. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

Honestly they hard to beat. Sure the service has its downfalls  ( none of which is lag related for me personally( i have over a gig/s of net) but the benefits beat any other console and even pc hands down and I own a powerful pc. I don't have to download the dumb Uplay launcher I can just play, no downloads, no updates ( except 2k20), no messaging friends ( hopefully coming soon, no streaming ( also coming at some point), just the ability for 10 pocket change dollars the ability to get 2 games  ( even though lately its been 3 and four games) free each month, I spent less than 250 on 9 games and got another 18 for free. That's hard to beat library wise

Army2willis
0 Kudos