cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Lack of Sales

It baffles me to the business model for Stadia by Google. I got on when they were offering 2 months free Pro Subscription and thought this is great and it will get the confidence back in the platform (as it was not good before at the start of the year). Getting free games with the Pro sub each month, following the other gaming platforms was great and the sales going on for a couple of weeks really kept you invested in the platform.

Now we have had over a week of no Sales at all and with the free trial moving to one month, this will really hit Stadia hard as new players will be reluctant to stay. Also with the news that Cyberpunk 2077 will not come to Stadia day 1, I fear this will be the end of this platform, a real shame! Stadia works so well on my 10 year old Mac, amazing! but I am now really considering dropping the Pro Subscription as I start paying this month. I don't need to play the games I have on Pro, I bought Red Dead 2 full price.

You can not underestimate confidence in a computer game platform and I am afraid Stadia, mine is decreasing by the day.

1 Kudo
5 Replies
Community Member

Stadia is still in its infancy as a platform. Should they have waited until they had a much bigger library and a more polished product before releasing? Perhaps but it is only with real world feedback that they will be able to make Stadia better so it was always going to be difficult to get the timing right.

Imo people should just treat Stadia as a beta version for the next couple of years until the library grows and they fine tune the platform. In the meantime it probably won't be considered by the hardcore gamers but for casual gamers like myself who can't justify spending hundreds on hardware but are happy enough to pay a monthly subscription knowing we can play in multiple locations when the mood strikes and will be offered certain free games every month then it fills a gap in the market perfectly.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Irish Yep I agree that it's fantastic to those casual gamers who can just stream to their TV and that this is the first true streaming game service. I love the ease of use and how well this works, I think its great, but I just feel that it needs to have the support from the more hardcore gamers to survive. Also X-Box's Gamepass will undoubtably become much better for PC(it has just come out in beta form), so the more time Stadia takes to get a good base of players the less chance for it to survive as a competing games platform. Think of the number of games X Box has and PS once they get on the bandwagon.

Also I really appreciate the quality of the free monthly games, a good blend of different types of games.

0 Kudos
Community Member

PlayStation has been around since the 90's and XBox since the early 00's so Stadia was and is always going to have a huge mountain to climb to get anywhere close to either of them so much so that I think it is unfair to even put them in the same category. Stadia is it's own thing and will likely only appeal to more casual gamers in the short to medium term. 

I agree though that they will need to grow their library rapidly to survive and I'm sure they are working on that. Maybe someday when they have a sizeable selection of games and the streaming is as reliable as say Netflix then they just might start to entice some PS and XBox gamers over but the reality is that is a while away yet. 

I'm sure Google would have been aware of this from market research and have accounted for it in their strategic planning.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Well, Even if I cancel my pro subscription, I will not buy a gaming PC (If it is not to develop games) nor a next gen console... I do not see any justification of spending hundreds and thousands of dollars just to have access to one of the most unproductive hobby (aka gaming), this is why I came to Stadia in the first place, because I do not want to buy a gaming device, the last console I bought was the Xbox 360 back in 2007 and from 2008 to 2018, I did not play because I gave my 360 to my cousin in 2007... Then in 2018 someone bought me a Xbox one S this is when I went back to gaming... So I will never buy a console, but stadia needs to step up

1 Kudo
Community Member

@jayo2k  I think you may have inadvertently hammered the nail on the head with that. Only... I think stadia needs to MARKET the PC only games (more) and MARKET that you will get PC power graphics and games that console gamers can't typically get. 

I can see why their target market is console gamers... but the alternative "PC" approach would do them some good 🙂

¸¸.•*¨ What you walk by is the standard you accept¸¸.•*¨*•
0 Kudos