cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Important features lagging behind.

Why does it feel like some very needed features (family sharing, platform messaging, or even Stadia controller wireless support on PC) are falling behind with no recent info on a potential implementation? 

----------------------------------------------------------------
mixer.com/StadiaStreamer

discord.gg/StadiaStreamer
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Well wireless controller support for web is due based on the announcement earlier this year, around the March/April time-frame, so I guess that there isn't a need to provide any further update on that until either it is released, or delayed.

Family sharing feature, long overdue IMHO but that really only matters for those with a family, so I guess not a feature that everyone is looking for.  They did imply in the run-up to the release of Stadia that it was going to be an early feature, so I guess it depends on what you define as "early".  If it comes within the 1st year of Stadia then I guess that that is early to some and late to others.  I agree more information on this feature would be nice all the same.

Platform messaging, another long overdue feature too.  Not heard anything on the whereabouts of that, so I guess we will need to wait until April when I expect that we'll see another update about the planned features for Q2.

Personally, I'm not gonna stress too much about when this stuff makes it out at the moment, the world is in a right state at the moment dealing with much more important priorities IMHO.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Some of these features I give a pass too because they're not a big problem. You're also right that the world has many more priorities, but there is no reason they shouldn't have had a messaging system right from the start. That is one of the things stadia needs most to keep players engaged with each other.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Mad_Dog_Bravo 

Sure, I agree on the much more important state of affairs right now, but if that is to say that we should not expect any other resolution because things are burning, I mean, why even be on the forum right now or do anything else for that matter?

Now, if your point was that those features might have been and would further be delayed because of the COVID-19 outbreak, then communication provided from the Stadia Staff to their community would have been great.

Moreover, my concerns are rather directed at (as it appears to me, thus the topic) the lack of urgency on releasing some of these important features innate to a gaming platform, than the features themselves.

mixer.com/StadiaStreamer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Streamer :

I can't comment on if anything has been delayed or not due to covid-19, as I have no way of knowing.

I didn't say or imply that there wouldn't be any resolution, my view was that on the wireless controller we were informed earlier on in the year that it was one of the features planned for release in 3 months.  Now, if that was from the start of the year, or from the date of the announcement... I don't know.  So that is why I was saying that it is likely that we'll either see the feature in the March/April time-frame, or we will hear an update on its progress if that feature slips.   Of course we may hear absolutely nothing, but for now I'm giving Google the benefit of the doubt.

As for lack of urgency, I guess that might be the case, but then again some users of recently supported Android phones are probably very happy that their phone got supported instead of messaging, or family sharing features, or maybe not.

Personally the chat feature isn't something that I'm concerned with, not something that I'm looking to use anytime soon, never used it on Xbox or PS, which says heaps about the amount of multiplayer games I play.  But of course I can see the importance of that feature for those that do use it.

Whereas, I'm very keen to see family sharing released, but until then my kids are old enough to know which games they can play on my account and those that they are not allowed to play.  So while it's a feature that is very important for some, I can still live without it for the time being.

Hopefully, once April gets underway we will have a similar post from Google about the features that they plan to deploy over the coming 3 months, that's not a bad approach to keeping folks informed IMHO. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Mad_Dog_Bravo 

It simply irks me when I read that there are much more important stuff going on in the world right now, as if nothing else should matter (at this point at least).

You bring up a good point about the Android update. So it boils down to what's important to user X vs Y.

But as you know, multiplayer gamers make up the bulk of most gaming platforms, and what makes a platform successful is not just the games themselves, but the bonds and friendships that are formed. And Stadia is currently making that difficult.

mixer.com/StadiaStreamer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Streamer : I can understand your frustration, but our views appear to be very different on this matter of stuff going on in the world.

I definitely hear you on the multiplayer side of things, my style of gaming is very casual and with a family and kids running around the place the chances of me actually being able to sit down and play a video game with a bunch of other folks around the world without constant interruption...well...fat chance!  Lucky if I can even watch a movie of my own choice these days, let alone see it till the end.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

By now I thought it'd be at least on par with on live UI which was over 10 years ago and able to release with user dashboard, sharing clips viewing live feeds of what friends or anyone else is playing basically an interface and not something to just click play on a game which is effectively the experience on Chromecast.

Fortunately I'm in division 2 leaving all my stadia worries behind its basically the PC I'm playing on and always finding people to play with just by matchmaking unlike destiny on stadia.

0 Kudos