cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Honestly - This is depressing (Rant from a continuous improvement guy) and Stadia fan

I am a continuous improvement guy, a manager and auditor. I work in various aspects of business and have even co-owned a design company/worked as lead designer. Quality auditing is my specialty. So why the rant?.

This platform has potential but the lack of community output and quality interpersonal pushing is the worst of any platform I have seen. We need more than the stadia community blog.

1.) I am a google fanboy, have everything in my home essentially google. Stadia by baseline functionality fits in my life and my families life. I have been even developing an application ( Website owned, logos up, UX Frames, programming rolling) for this platform until the response i get the other day regarding a release date for a cross play title ( dead by daylight). From a guide "Could be any day this month, just distract yourself". While I am sure the reply was meant in good nature; it's a testament to painting the windows black. 

This was a question posed by myself and my dead by daylight group ( which consists of 50 members) who all wanted to join up on stadia. Three of them are relatively popular streamers. They were interested in the stadia only functions but the lack of information turned them away. 

After that response I reeled back. Told my kid to quit playing and I broke out the steam accounts after he searched for an HOUR for an orcs must die 3 game to join. If you can't understand it starts with your community and THAT community have a place to function effectively, everything else will fall apart. The very fact that we have to connect through forum posts  says it all. The browser functionality and community buildings needs to be integrated. Majorly. 

Since you are increasingly adding new games, which dilute your current numbers for multiplayer functionality... perhaps it's time to focus on what's truly causing people to bow out.

2.) I have been a founders member since the beginning and my household is 4 stadia accounts, all with founders. I am responsible for bringing at - least 30 people to stadia personally. Collectively my family has purchased easily 1,200$ worth of titles. I suppose I will just "distract myself" from that? 

3.) I have watched the market place grow with new games ( great ) but also have seen the resentment for lack of information and general quality of staff responding. Stadia is bleeding interest loss from it's devout fanbase. In the last 3 weeks alone most of the people I know have moved on. However; due to these experiences my gleam of faith has been tarnished a bit. 

Break out the community features. 

Give us actual updates not just new titles randomly appearing. 

Even after all this I am still supporting stadia because of it's potential, ease of use and again.... I am a continuous improvement man. Progress can be incremental but it starts with your loyal consumers. 

I love this product. Give it what it deserves. 

Features please. Tell us how you are going to get the community numbers self sustainable. What's the end game. 

¸¸.•*¨ What you walk by is the standard you accept¸¸.•*¨*•
13 Kudos
26 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hi @Chiram 

thanks for your open words.

Just for me as a non English native speaker and to understand you correctly, you are upset with the vague release dates of new games on Stadia? Or in other words you would like to see more / better communication from the Stadia team to the community?

For me personally, it is a little bit more complex to describe what Stadia is. In theory, it's only a plattform to run games. For all the game, the game's publisher is responsible to build a community, maintain a high gaming experience, etc.

Otherwise, I would like to be more a "Stadia community" that plays games and not vice versa. At least like Steam where there is a community hub, chats, etc.

But, I have no idea what the actual long time goal for Stadia is.

Let's cross our fingers that Stadia will develop for "us" in the right direction 🙂

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.
1 Kudo
Community Member

@Tobonaut I think this post is quite similar to the comments I made in another string the other day. The Stadia guides are great because they are users like us who try to make this platform and forum a better place for all users. I was quite pleasantly surprised that @GraceFromGoogle  replied to that post of mine and I tried to respond to her comment with some constructive points around what is causing frustration....but then there wasn’t even an acknowledgement of my reply, which was ironic given the points I raised were all about lack of communication from the Google team. I’m not sure if it is really the Google team that run this community platform that have the power to make any forward looking statements but the theme for a lot of people is the same - we are all bought into the idea of this platform fully....but we are all really frustrated by the lack of information given on key features coming etc. Surely at some point they need to address that to be successful?

2 Kudos
Community Member

We are not so bad, today a player joined in an Avengers game.

Go to Reddit, they won't listen to you here.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Why we should move on Reddit, we have this nice place to talk about stadia, I hate reddit even if is a much bigger universe, is toxic. I love this place, never found a better community in 20 years of gaming.

2 Kudos
Community Member

The better comunication is ask for since the begin of stadia. NO REACTION!

Perhaps reddit is a better place. 

I dont See that any Feedback is wanted at the Moment. 🤷‍♂️

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Schauschau , @Orwell 

as an information some Reddit moderators are also a part of our Stadia Guides team. 🙂 Feel free to have fun at the Stadia Subreddit 🙂 (http://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia)

---
Please mark posts that helped you to solve your problem as an "Answer" or give "Kudos" to other helpful posts.
1 Kudo
Community Member

In this case we are lost 😅

We will see the next year. 

@Tobonaut : one question: will stadia have raytracing and the same quality in all games like the xbox Serie x and ps5?

There are no Information from stadia. I See stadia with the quality from xbox one x.

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Schauschau for this question, I do not have an answer sorry.

---
1 Kudo
Community Member

No Rtx probably and I’m very worry about the performance on cyberpunk, if google don’t say anything I’m thinking to buy the Xbox, I mean I bought  50” 4k monitor just for stadia and I can’t play anything in 4k...

1 Kudo
Community Member

Thats not right :

https://stadiagamedb.com/?filter=4k

And upscalling is good in quality. 

But i will buy xbox Serie x and ps5 too. And use stadia for free games in future, if they are aktractive. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

Ok sorry.

Can’t play attractive titles in 4k 60fps, the only one was Ac but is 30 fps only...

So I’m wondering how cyberpunk could work..

10 Treaflops 🤷‍♂️

1 Kudo
Community Member

I joined Stadia 4 months ago and for the first week or so I was really impressed.
Until I learned exactly how old stadia was, how slowly the games catalog was growing and the quality of the games on offer, finally what killed it off for me is the lack of information coming from stadia.
I love the concept of the platform, but it's as if it's been designed by people who have no experience with gaming or gamers (gamers like to talk to each other, which genius decided to release the platform without a text chat feature?).
My genuine advice would be to copy PlayStations business model, it's already the same basic concept with "Pro" and PS plus and and PS now (and PS plus and now combined only come to £1 more a month if you buy a yearly pass, less if you shop somewhere like CD Keys!).
PlayStation have had decades to refine their business model, they've had massive success and failure alike, but at the end of the day, they have arguably the best gaming platform available today (if you don't count PCs, which isn't really a platform).
At this point, I don't even know if I buy AC Valhalla on Stadia if it's going to receive updates or not, AC Odyssey hasn't seen one since launch.
Things like this are killing stadia, similarly to the OP, I brought around 50 people to stadia, I'm the only one left, of the 20+ stadia friends list, I see 2 active players, that's about 70 people who likely will never look at stadia again.
I'll keep my pro subscription going, but at this point I'm not sure why, I have a PS 4 in the living room, and an X box in the bedroom, these will be updated to the series X and PS 5, so I really have no need for Stadia, something a friend of mine said to me has stuck with me ever since he said it.
It went something along the lines of "why on earth did you invite me to a kids gaming platform, there are no games, and all the "pro" games are obviously marketed at kids who can't afford to pay £50+ for any new games worth playing, but can talk their parents into paying £8.99 a month for a subscription."
I really couldn't fault his logic, if Stadia want to make it as a gaming platform (and it may not sound like it, but I genuinely hope that they do.) then they need to start taking to their players, and giving them what they want before Stadia gets killed off by word of mouth.
1 Kudo
Community Member

@Chiram and @Classic-Rando ,

You both clearly laid out what I wanted to say. I have been with Stadia since the beginning, and other than saying "the tech works", there is nothing else that excites me anymore about the platform.

I have been saying this for a few months now. Gaming is no longer just playing games, but it's about building a community. Stadia is nearing the 1-year mark, but still does not have a platform messaging or chat feature. It seems the focus has been to release a lot of games and say: "We have a lot of games!", while completely ignoring the necessary features that your current faithful subscribers need.

This is even more evident on Destiny 2, as you can see the player-base on Stadia decrease daily. So, I completely agree with the points you two made. Stadia should focus on many of the features necessary for this platform to be successful, as well as improve their community building approach. Because right now, it's not working and has not been working for a while now.

----------------------------------------------------------------
discord.gg/StadiaStreamer
4 Kudos
Community Member

@Streamer

I don't think we could be more in sync.

I genuinely think that a lot of the problem is with denial, when the game updates come out, the first posts generally say generic platitudes (Amazing, such choice, etc), and that sentiment is echoed by the majority of posters. When I post something along the lines of (actually it's not amazing, it's the bare minimum, also you haven't addressed problems x y and z) people actually defend Stadia, as if I'm attacking it for personal vengeance, instead of pointing out the problems that the 50 or so people I brought to stadia all told me are the reasons why they left.

Very few people actually post their agreement, but if you look at the total "kudos" for the last 3 months (I've only been here for a week or so into my 4th month now) I'm number 3, you're number 4,and a guy called Matt1 is number 6 or 7, the rest are Stadia guides.

Now when you consider I generally only post on game updates that @ChrisfromGoogle releases and sends a link through discord, obviously a lot of people are in agreement with us, but all that tends to be posted is "wow, 6 games, thanks Stadia" (never mind the fact that you'll never play any of them, it's 6 more games for the numbers).

More people need to stop just pressing the "kudos button" and start posting what they think too (even if it's just echoing something that has already been said), otherwise Stadia will continue to see dozens of "awesome" posts, for every "problems" post, regardless of how popular either are. 

At this point, I genuinely think the platform will collapse before long (have you waited for other players in RDR2 Online recently, or MK11?). 

Stadia needs to take drastic action, and they need to do it now, or all the people posting "Awesome" will be doing it to a dead platform, and if you think the numbers are dropping fast now, just wait till the new X box and Playstation 5 release! 

1 Kudo
Community Member

oh my god a real post about platform discussion.

I go for the popcorn

4 Kudos
Community Member

@Classic-Rando some guy called Matt1 generally has been posting similar concerns to the above. Quite ironic! Google just need to communicate clearing what features are coming and when. And explain why the really simple stuff like a chat function, family sharing etc. Etc. Etc. Are not here yet.

3 Kudos
Community Member

It seriously is like it's been set up to fail, that or being mismanaged on an almost criminal level. 

Example,

People have been asking about pre orders for months, noting is announced until the day Immortals goes on for pre sale. 

Example 2 (kinda also to do with pre sales) 

As we couldn't pre order the Avengers the only way to get the bonus pre order content was to buy the Deluxe edition (seems a kinda slimy way to coerce people into buying the more expensive version. 

I could go on all day, but I assume you already know what I'd say. 

A gaming platform should be run by gamers, not faceless suits! 

0 Kudos
Deleted User
Not applicable

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but messaging is coming: https://9to5google.com/2020/08/31/stadia-2-32-final-prep-messaging-uplay/

Let's not forget that Google has a messaging platform that they plan to integrate Stadia with, they call it ...YouTube, I think? Something like that - anyway, it's pretty big from what I hear. And you don't just "turn on" something like this - they're integrating a messaging system for a gaming infrastructure into a huge and pre-existing community. Something like this is built out over time - you want Family Play, yes? You want that with or without moderation, parents? Maybe we'll hear something at the Launch Night In  event...

And speaking of communities and moderation, do you really want another Steam, or reddit, or Facebook? Personally, the thought of a Stadia community infrastructure with any more substance than this forum right here terrifies the **bleep** (did it for you forum software!) out of me - toxic cesspits that can fuel atrocities like Gamergate? Nah, I'm good. In general, echo chambers just tend to echo hate, and I think we've all had enough of that.

This is also a really REALLY good read, if you actually want to understand the current landscape and think about how this will play out long-term - because make no mistake, this is a long-term play. I read that, and then I look at Brendan Greene and wonder what he is up to with this little project.

I honestly don't think we know what we're going to get here. The possibilities are vast - and when you throw 5G and AR into the mix it gets even more exciting. I wholeheartedly agree that the communication style (or lack thereof) sucks, but we all know it is 100% typical of Google - I got zen about my frustrations in this department long ago. And sometimes they just pick a direction and drive to see what happens...

1 Kudo
Community Member

You think gamergate was a bad thing?
Journalists being called out for giving favourable reviews to friends and lovers garbage games was bad, a peek inside the gaming industry that was based on quit pro quo?
I no longer believe the opinions of most major "gaming sites" and "critics", sites that legitimised people like Anita Sarkesian, who crowdfunded hundreds of thousands of dollars for a video series she never finished, and stole in game footage to pass off as her own, then did it again, because it was for "equality in gaming", I don't know if you noticed, but even with the rise of female gamers, they're still outnumbered by about 20 to 1, so of course most games have attractive women in, just like most adverts that use women have attractive women instead of (ahem, don't worry, I'll be polite) horse face, small breasted men with long hair!

Gamergate aside, yes I do want a stadia community, i want to be able to go to a 5 year old co-op game and get instant teams, like I can on the PS 4, I want dedicated communities to each game, so if I have no friends that play, I know where to look.
As for the chat function, I think you must be an optimist, "almost" implemented after a year of service is a terrible precedent to set for future additional services for the platform.
Again it sounds like I hate Stadia, I really don't, I love the concept, but I can get everything stadia does and a lot more with a console, Xbox have a driveless machine now, the V series, its basically stadia but with decades of development already gone into it, PS 5 I think have announced a similar machine (or will do on Wednesday).
Stadia is moving at a snails pace, and it's hemorrhaging customers, it also seems to have laid all its eggs into a few AAA games that are being released around Christmas. I've only been here for 3 months and a week or so, and I've already burned through their entire catalogue (everything worth playing anyway).
It's just so frustrating, that such a great concept is being run so badly, in my opinion Stadia released a year too early, they should have spent all this time creating a text chat feature before release, they should let us use the mic in the controller and still get sound from our nearly £2000 sonos sound systems (seeing as the controller can't power any decent can drivers, so if we want to speak to each other, we have to suffer terrible sound), I could go on, but I'm just repeating myself, if people are honest, they know what is wrong with stadia, what needs fixing and why, but Google fanboys (I own 2 homes, both have Google nest hubs, cameras etc, I bought the Pixel buds for some reason, even though the echo buds are quite a bit better, I'm almost a fanboy myself at this point, but at least I can still say that Google do some things well and some things not so well.) absolutely resist even acknowledging that stadia has problems.
It has problems, lots of them, and they need dealing with now, or they won't have a platform to fix this time next year!
1 Kudo
Deleted User
Not applicable

Gotcha. Support for abuse, bigotry, intimidation and discrimination - understood. I have no further interest in anything you have to say @Classic-Rando . You may froth at the mouth about your perceived white male entitlement without me going forward - I refuse to participate in forums that people like you frequent. It's why I left reddit.

Have fun y'all, and try to be better to everyone than this.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I think "deleted user" here quite misunderstood the point of "gamergate".
People just wanted to play games, be left alone and be able to trust what gaming journalists said.
I don't care what sex, race, pronouns, whatever "deleted user" is/uses, so long as they are interested in the same game as me, I'm happy.
But that isn't good enough for "deleted user", they have to step into the platforms /games and magazines /websites I read (yes for the first 20 years of life, there was no online gaming or journalism to speak of, so we read actual magazines) and say I don't like this, so I'm going to change it, if most people don't like something, they just move on to something they do like, but to some people, women being attractive is a major problem, notice how they had to drag race into the conversation too, and completely seemed to forget that gamergate started about corrupt journalism.
Yes I made a hyperbolic joke about the games industry (and others) changing characters to be more androgynous, and it was in bad taste, but it was a joke, I thought that was obvious.
My honest opinion is the true problem is people like "deleted user" I seriously doubt they actually invested any money in the platform by buying games, or it'd take more than one post about my surprise that gamergate is perceived as a bad thing overall (I'm not denying that there weren't people who took their frustration out on the main players with stalker/abusive messages, but this is the Internet, I could post "I like cats" end end up getting death threats from dog lovers, some people don't seem to be able to control themselves when they have the perception that there will be no consequences. For every person posting abuse, there were 100 saying "we just want to be left alone and to be able to trust gaming journalists".) for the them to just up and quit the platform.
Gamergate happened people, it's time to get over it and let it go, it's also time that people start to admit that there were problems on BOTH sides, I can freely admit that, but if you ask people like deleted user, it was all about misogyny and somehow racism (even though most games you don't have the faintest idea who you're playing with I played WOW for years and there were plenty of women who played as men and vice versa, generally the impression I got was that men who played as women were treated far better in game, and not in a creepy way, but were given preferential treatment on loot drops etc.), and they will never admit that there were serious issues with several large gaming sites.
Again I could litteraly type a doctoral dissertation on this subject, but the honest people, who were actually involved in in know what went on and why, but if I had to sum it up in one sentence, "a real gamer wouldn't quit the platform they were using and enjoying because they heard one opinion that they didn't like" would be right up there at the top.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I just read the "why is cloud gaming so important" page, it basically comes down to "it will enable MILE games (massive interactive live events)".
I'm not sure if you noticed, but world of Warcraft achieved that quite a while ago now, with millions of people cut up into servers of tens of thousands of people, the game that is going to top WOW for simultaneous numbers of people online would have to be insane, if you've heard anything about the development of such a game, other than just concept doodles, let me know, otherwise you may as well forget about it for minimum 5 years, and that's if a major development company basically devoted all its resources to such a massive undertaking.
2 Kudos
Community Member

Glad to see some stadians talking sense about the service as a whole, pictures of controllers and a screen are cool and all but the service is terrible and there is literally no reason to stay on it with the price of xbox series S, £250 for truly next gen and built in SSD, I think Stadia has missed its opportunity.

3 Kudos
Community Member

WOW, this post really hit me in the right place, almost everything you said I can relate to.

I am a Stadia fan and Google fanboy, I have been advocating Stadia, and really trying to promote it within my own circle, but I am getting very tired of having to defend Stadia, CONSTANTLY, I I get that it takes time to grow a platform, and I get it won't be perfect right away, and those aspects are easy to defend, buy just reminding people, hey it's a new platform and takes time to build. but there are way too many reasons for people to get exited for Stadia, but get turned off very easily. 

the lack of transparency if frightening, I 100% understand the lack of release dates for games, that's between Stadia and the Publishers and Stadia is subjective to publisher control for that, but how about dates, timelines, for features of internal Stadia functions? ESPECIALLY ones that were supposed to be live on day 1 (family share, crowd play, just to mention a few) I'm not mad they aren't live, but I am upset and frustrated at the lack of communication and transparency.

and completely agree that the "Just wait and distract yourself" answer is getting really old. 

if you go on Reddit and search my name you will see my name defending and white knighting Stadia all over.... so if a die hard fan like me can start getting frustrated with these simple fixable things.... imagine all the "New" players who could possibly be increasing the population of the platform, and how easily they now have gone from "Sure I'l give Stadia a try" to "Hell no, Stadia sux" it doesn't take much for some, but on the other hand, it doesn't take much to improve simple things Stadia

Stadia, you need to BE BETTER, the potential is there, the system is there! communication, marketing, transparency all need to improve, yesterday. 

OK, that's my rant, I'l got back to supporting Stadia.... for now.

5 Kudos
Community Member

Thank you for the effort and the true words.

I totally know the feeling! As a founder and fan of the Stadia Service it is so disappointing to see Stafia fail so hard. And I wrote a similar post some months ago. But as usual: No real response by Google.

I also remember myself promoting Stadia even before release to my friends and then it came without keeping the promises. Even if they're continously improving,  The features are just released - no Roadmap in advance, just: Now we have... So the less nerdy friends just started to make fun of me: So you finally got 4k? That's nice, but shouldn't it be available since months?... So I completely stopped to promote Stadia.

I agree: Witout caring about the community, Stadia will loose ground to other cloud gaming services. With the libary of games they already lost.

So please Stadia enhance your communication/information. Otherwise 4k is the only feature where Stadia is ahead of their competitors,  but for how long...

...and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

3 Kudos
Community Member

Thanks for the replies everyone and discussion. I see some of the replies got a bit heated. Whoever the user was that got deleted; I tend to relate this conversation to a previous co worker of mine. They used to be offended by everything and everyone. If someone had a contrasting viewpoint, that person was labeled as "toxic" or a "whiner". Which in itself is its a logical fault. Problem is, people like this fail to see the difference between a logical/constructive viewpoint and a post that screams " STADIA SUCKS, I want this game, you don't have it. YOU SUCK". 

The contrasting differences are apparent to most... but to a hammer, everything is a nail. You're anticipating being offended; those with low self image find that this (online) can make them feel powerful. When in reality they should focus less on labels and tribalism... and understand no matter what product is released there will be good and bad elements. 

Now onto some of the replies. 

@Tobonaut  But, I have no idea what the actual long time goal for Stadia is.

- - - If the guides are unsure, maybe there should be some type of corrective action to this. As it doesn't reassure the userbase. They should arm you guys with the needed knowledge 🙂  Thank you for reply Tobonaut

@Classic-Rando  finally what killed it off for me is the lack of information coming from stadia.

Yep. Any information that frequent, with dates and solid information would be very appreciated. I hate finding out from third parties. 

@Streamer   This is even more evident on Destiny 2, as you can see the player-base on Stadia decrease daily. So, I completely agree with the points you two made. Stadia should focus on many of the features necessary for this platform to be successful, as well as improve their community building approach. Because right now, it's not working and has not been working for a while now.

I created a guild on destiny 2 as soon as stadia launched. (My first time playing the game). Called Zero Signal. Raised to the top of gear score very fast. Had 30 + members. AND ZERO WAY TO COMMUNICATE. Nobody in the stadia exclusive guild could raid. Most of us quit. I transferred to PC then moved on. 

@Whito   oh my god a real post about platform discussion. I go for the popcorn

Sea Salt and Caramel please

@ Deleted User Let's not forget that Google has a messaging platform that they plan to integrate Stadia with, they call it ...YouTube

Which will be a powerful integration tool. What we are complaining about is we need to know when. We need a ROADMAP. 

@ Deleted User  You may froth at the mouth about your perceived white male entitlement without me going forward

I rest my case about a hammer sees everything as a nail. Waiting to be offended. We are all gaming brothers and sisters here ( and on every platform). People forget this in a tribal era. 

@MaximoKnight    the lack of transparency if frightening, 

YES. Also like any relationship - If there's no transparency it will never work.

@Amoker     So please Stadia enhance your communication/information. Otherwise 4k is the only feature where Stadia is ahead of their competitors,  but for how long...

So true on this. I even upgraded my internet line to 1 gig just for stadia to utilize the 4k for my family.

¸¸.•*¨ What you walk by is the standard you accept¸¸.•*¨*•
5 Kudos