cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Hacking and it's counter measures

I read an article a while back which was one of my primary draws to Stadia. 

"Hackers". How the ability to hack a game client when it's streamed from server client is virtually impossible. 

I've removed myself from steam games that don't take an ultra aggressive stance to hackers or MMOS due to this. There's nothing more disheartening than investing so much into a game you enjoy to just watch it slowly collapse onto itself. 

Can anyone confirm Stadias anti-hack measures or capabilities?

¸¸.•*¨ What you walk by is the standard you accept¸¸.•*¨*•
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Chiram All the game hacks I know of would require installing software alongside the game or otherwise altering the environment in which the game was run. That's impossible to do within the context of cloud-streamed gaming since we don't actually get access those systems. It's a completely sandboxed environment.

(Of course, the downside to that is that we also aren't able to install/run any mods which might improve the single-player experience.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

So in essence the only way we would encounter hackers is if we entered a cross platform/crossplay title. :). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Chiram Yep. And in my (admittedly limited) understanding, securing cross-platform play against hacking falls back to who the publishers who host the multiplayer sessions. So there might not be a lot that Google could do about what players do outside of their data centers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I dunno it just seems like so many good points Google could market to and gain more users this would be one of them. A lot of gamers are done with people who download hacks.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia brass has yet to udder the no hacking taking points since pre-launch. I'll say it again, Stadia's only real selling point was it being hack/cheat free, but that's not true anymore with the implementation of cross-play. Stadia should be looking to poach every last PC player by rereleasing all the games ruined by hackers as closed platformers. With the consoles now embracing kb&m in closed platform play it seems Stadia's niche market will continue to shrink. 

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Sad to say I think you may be right. I have faith though. I really enjoy this platform and as long continual improvements are made, it should be fine. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Chiram 

That's the thing though, they're not making improvements. "No Cheaters" was key feature that was actually in place at launch. Imho Stadia actually took steps to remove that feature, the feature that motivated me to purchase two Premiere Editions. I completely regret my purchases and I'm playing mother hen with my paperweights until Stadia finds itself. I voiced my concerns and displeasure about the possibility of adding cross-play before The Division 2 launched. I was worried, because so many others wanted cross-play to artificially boost Stadia's playerbase or to play with friends on other platforms. Stadia is currently free, Pubg is currently free, so you'd think the masses would flock in droves right? Wrong! At least in my fairly large circle of gaming acquaintances (PC & Console), not a single other gamer has considered trying Stadia. It's fricking free! What's next? Paying gamers to try Stadia. Stadia just keeps doing it wrong. You want boost Stadia's true playerbase, and prove its use case? Add COD MW / Warzone (currently plagued by tens of thousands of confirmed hackers on PC), and keep it ABSOLUTELY closed-platform. This would showcase Stadia's one true asset, and instantly solve the unsolvable problem of local platform gaming.

Do it, and they'll come, they'll all come.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

All games could have crossplay and a toggel to turn it on and off.

Then all should be happy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Xer0graV

I agree with that, although I haven't played Division if Stadia could find a way to market (Actively promote that's it cannot be hacked)... maybe portray some loser running a script and ruining everyone's day... then cut to Stadia it would send the message strongly.

Couple that will Stadia Exclusives and insane discount prices those numbers will come. 

0 Kudos