cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

For high dynamic range do you need an HDR tv for it to work

Jump to solution

I'm considering dropping sub and just buying games outright from now on, have no 4k using a 5 year old HD but anytime I put it on HDR I feel it looks better, anyone know if it does look better or the colours are just brighter meaning I could get same effect messing with local brightness and contrast settings?

1 Kudo
18 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Yeah options always there, will probably drop a sub during sales if able to pick up a couple games at reduced price but without 4k or HDR and no plans to upgrade tv it's a waste of money, even if only £100 a year or so.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

@ARGAH Exactly all are options, it is perfect to try. Honestly and this is between you and me since nobody is spitting us (When Star Citizen is released if Stadia does not succeed, it will simply disappear) But shhhhh don't tell anyone, it's our secret

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

What ChronosP shared, that is exactly what it looks like. The big huge massive difference between hdr and no hdr. Is literally like playing a different game altogether. You can see things that you could/would otherwise simply not see.

I tried this on the ps4 version of red dead redemption 2.

But on google stadia, I have to be honest with you here. I have tried every game hdr on and hdr off. I can see no difference. I've opened and restarted the games so many times for this purpose.  Even photographed to check the difference. And I can't see any difference. I think hdr is simply always on. Also if you're not subscribed and also if you put it off or disable it.

And I hope it stays that way. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

The questions you have to ask yourself:

• Is the sub worth the better image? (placebo or not doesn't really matter as long as you experience a better image)
  • How much will it really cost you being a pro subscriber (how many games / year will you buy, if you don't have to buy games as soon as they launch and can wait for pro deals, how much money do you save that way? If you are someone that buys many games being a Pro subscriber might actually be cheaper...
  • Do the free games then add enough of a perk on top of the above?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Dratster as of now I'm not going to sub, doesn't mean I'm not supporting just don't see any benefits of sub and don't care about top resolution as long as it's stable I'd play on 720p if had to.

Right now though two things would make me reconsider, one if they add queue for non subs meaning I may have to wait, that would be snide but would understand and sub or two, free to play games like dauntless, fortnite etc. are added and needed a sub to access them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I've accepted Whito answer as solution, it does make my brightness pop a bit but only notice on crosshairs in dark areas playing destiny, it certainly doesn't add the effect seen in the comparing images shared in the thread.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Yeah same. But it would be weird for stadia to disable hdr on all of your games just because you don't have pro. I expect they will simply keep it this way. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@ARGAH 

They could also go the "advertisation way" where for non pro members here and there some ads appear, while at loading screens or startup interface or something. Would like that way more then queuing times tbh. I already saw that on geforce now and its pretty bad in my opinion. Sometimes you have to wait for hours before you can play.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@ARGAH I hope that at some point it is worth going back for the sub.

I will keep it until the launh of X box PS5 Then I will make a decision if I continue with Stadia I buy one of those consoles or against my will continue the PC master race.

The last game that Ghost Recon buys I swear it looks like a PS3 game.

I plan to clean up Division, if you have these horrible graphics and less than 30 FPS, I will surely keep the games I have with 4k HDR but I will stop buying

0 Kudos