cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Exposure to features needs to be touted

So funny story but it proves the point of the uninformed mind-set. I was on video chat attempting to set up a friend pass for a long time gaming buddy of mine on the other side of the country.

Actual conversation transcript"

Me, *directs friend to the stadia website and app* *tells her specifically to read up on Stadia and watch youtube feature videos*

Her, " Ok I got the app downloaded, buddy code is used"

Me, " Ok great now link the controller to your ultra or connect via computer"

*ten minutes later she comes back to the screen*

Her, "Yeah I don't get this. Where do I download the games?". "Why can't I link my steam games?"

Me, *SIGH* " You don't download the games they are streamed to you. Steam is it's own entity, google doesn't own steam."

Her, "This is stupid, I thought this was like NetFlix. Why would I pay twice for the same games I have on steam?"

Me, *Even larger SIGH* " Who friggin told you it was netflix of games?

Her, "Nobody I just assumed it by how it was advertised. It came across as a streaming service with monthly subscription"

Me, "As for the buying. You've been buying parts for your new computer off of new egg for a year now right? You still have 2,400$ to go to even complete your rig, which will be almost obsolete by the time you build it"

Her, "Yea so?"

Me, "This streams at maximum settings and up to 4k. You are sitting on 3 gig line.... I bet you right now, if you boot up Destiny 2 it looks better than your current PC that you paid 4,700$ for 2 years ago."

*Watches her boot up Destiny 2*

Her, " ok that loaded fast"... "So I feel kinda retarded for spending all this money on parts suddenly"

Me, "yep. Imagine no "hackers" ruining your multi player games?. 

* I instructed her to switch to her phone app and connect the controller*

Her, "YOU GOTTA BE **bleep****** ME? It loaded the game just like that?!"

Her, "This is seriously the end of computer rigs"

My point is, she watched 3 youtube videos, went to the official stadia site and had virtually no idea the gravity OF the features. She "understood them" and just figured it was like "netflix" and wasn't all that big of a deal. I believe the features of what the service offers differently needs to be advertised hardcore. This platform needs to pull people away from or subscribe as an alternate source of entertainment. 

¸¸.•*¨ What you walk by is the standard you accept¸¸.•*¨*•
3 Kudos
11 Replies
Community Member

You are a good friend. 

Add me on Stadia: TyrantOvrYou#4485
1 Kudo
Community Member

@Chiram 

What got me hooked on Stadia was the easiness of it.   I’m a hardcore gamer myself.  I have PC, PS4 Pro, etc.   I grew up with intellivision/NES.   

As the systems got more complex, this last generation was the last draw.  Updates, patches,  installs, downloads,  to play one game took forever...  especially if on a bad connection.  

Stadia is the future.  

2 Kudos
Community Member

@CodyM2  I personally quit purchasing gaming consoles around XBOX (original). I did purchase a nintendo switch for my sons birthday. He played Zelda for 3 hours. Never touched it again ( Spent more time on the PC gaming ). 

The reason I quit with consoles is they lost originality. Back in the day, I could own a Genesis, SNES, Sega masters, NES, Turbo Grafx, Neo Geo, Jaguar, 3DO and EACH console was entirely different with a different game portfolio. Even the ports of the same games, were different.

PC Offered that variety but like everything else, lifestyles change and demands change. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

It seems to me that people just don't know what stadia actually is, and the advertisements don't help either.

0 Kudos
Community Member

$2,400 more for her computer? Is she like a video editor or music producer?

0 Kudos
Community Member

@mcnichoj  $2400 for a reasonable gaming computer is about right.

I would have dropped that much for a decent machine no questions asked.  I did it in the past.   On my last computer, I paid $1900 for it.  But, it was for home use and my business.  If I wanted to put a new graphics card in it, I would easily put another 200-400 into it no problem.    I'm still considering it.  The graphics card that is.  

For now,  My computer still does what I want it do to.  Edit videos, play games.      Probably, in the next couple of years, I will buy a new one soon.   

0 Kudos
Community Member

It's very easy to reach 2400$ for a gaming PC, especially if you add in monitor, mouse, keyboard, windows, mounted by seller, bluray driver, watercooling, SSD, a good case, a good power, etc.

It's not just the motherboard, ram, GPU, CPU.

You may even have to make some cuts with such budget.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Nilas 

He said he was editing on his machine, so you definitely want to pay that price. Simply gaming though as a hobby that's overkill and a waste of money. A "decent" machine (which to me means it will struggle running games but should still play most of them) is priced below $1000. A good machine is around $1000 and should be able to play everything. A great machine would be around $1500 but the only logical reason to have this is if you're loaded or you intend to play Ark. People spending above this solely for pleasure are very far and few between. I'm not accounting for people who want to play VR or play games at 8K with a million frames per second because those people are super niche.

0 Kudos
Community Member

You don't have stadia quality with a PC below $1000 though, far from it. That's what I call a waste of money nowadays, at least when streaming is an option.

PC gaming is only worth it if you're going to outdo cloud gaming, and yes it will be costly.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Nilas 

Granted Stadia has a limited game selection and if a game you want to play isn't on Stadia but can be played on a $600 PC then it's really not a waste for that person.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Babaganuche7  "It seems to me that people just don't know what stadia actually is, and the advertisements don't help either."

I agree with you on this. I think the early launch and generalized advertisements have stunted the growth a bit. I really believe they need to package deal this with google play pass and incorporate it into the google play app itself. 

0 Kudos