cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Does anyone else feel lied to and let down?

I mean Google made some huge promises back when I signed up for the founders edition, but the end result was so pitiful I just get irritated looking at my stadia remote. Terrible game library, non “negative latency” and missing features aside. (That horse has been whipped good and proper).

The sheer failure to deliver on all points in a what gets me. Why bundle this with a chrome cast that you obviously knew would over heat, a device that performs worse than a browser + USB combo. Fabricating tales that wireless + chrome cast is not only best, but revolutionary. 

I am not here to have a cry about it, I am seriously chewing on requesting a refund as I cannot seem to find a single strength with this product other than my now curiosity turned disappointment... I also do not wanna throw money into a platform doomed to be axed in a couple of years... anyone got some compelling reasons to stick with this?

Tags (2)
3 Kudos
52 Replies
Founder
Founder

I don't feel like they've executed well at all and can relate to how you feel unfortunately the more I research I am blown away at the amount of people who are ok with it and even do PR damage control for STADIA. It's something the XBOX ONE probably wish they had during their disaster E3, lol.

I am trying to find reasons to stick with it too but it's hard. I am a hardcore gamer I have a really good gaming rig and can play all the games available on stadia for much cheaper or I've played them before.  What has me holding on is the idea of what if they end up getting it right the next few months? If not I'll just take my loss and probably never come back to STADIA again. I feel the gameplay is fine but I am experiencing some issues with gameplay that I've never experienced with other games before.

I feel like this should be a BETA and they should be doing what XCLOUD is doing.

I should also mention for online games even if I do travel none of my friends want to jump into stadia, they all are die hard dedicated to where they play meaning they stick where all their friends are.

my main hope is stadia brings simulation games like rimworld/dwarf fortress/kenshi these type of games are games i think stadia should back with $$$$ and get behind and build a brand around.

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Anarchrist I personally had very low expectation, so I didn't feel let down. But I totally understand where you're coming from. 

As of now, Stadia is still considered early access and you'll most likely see improvement over the next few months, although little by little.

Not sure when you bought your Founder's Edition, but if you're still within the window, you can return it for a full refund. Next year, when the base version of Stadia is launched, you can give it another shot.

Personally I'll be sticking with mine, since I travel quite often for work and just happy I don't have to lug around my heavy gaming laptop anymore. Flying to LA next week and so glad I'll be able to kick off Destiny 2's new season on Tuesday playing through Stadia on my work Surface Pro 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
5 Kudos
Community Member

i had no expectations about services, features or whatever..., but i feel betrayed  because of the 60fps-thing.

I don't really care about 4k (it's nice, but I don't need it),... but the 60fps (and fast loading times) was the ONLY Reason I bought my founders (and 1 premiere edition for my friend)

I'm Happy with the Stadia concept, but if we see this 60fps Desaster from assassin's and rdr again,... I'm not sure, if I can support Stadia any further.

Google really needs to make clear, that the developer has to offer a performance mode (with minimum frameunlock). and it has to deliver patches for the 30fps-locked titles,... otherwise I see the loss of their credibility. and a lot of bye-byes from a lot of people! me included.

2 Kudos

I am not disappointed, I have enjoyed Stadia a lot.

6 Kudos
Community Member

I don't notice much of a difference from browser to TV minus screen size obviously but I like that I have the option to use either. The various features will come in time. They told us out right this would be a beta phase. I'm excited to see how this platform evolves.
2 Kudos
Community Member

Honestly, I was expecting even worse experience. I felt failed by Google so many times this years that I was expecting Stadia to have much more lag and latency.

So I am surprised by how good and fast everything works, although I am still cold about the catalogue of games.

I only hope that this isn’t another Google+ or Inbox, and Google doesn’t abandon something that works good.

2 Kudos
Community Member

I always knew that Stadia is a paid beta so for me, the service actually works better than expected. But I think Google shouldn’t have bragged on stage about things they cant deliver. Why mention 4K 60fps, why brag about the 10,7 teraflop that are ore than PS4 and Xbox tighter when both those consoles deliver better and sharper picture quality etc.

The release has been a bit messy only because of the lack and the way of communication from Google. But I’m exited to see and be part of the Stadia and they way out of bete (where we are now).

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

The only thing that lets me down is the discounts. The pro subscrption was supposed to bring one game per month and discounts for pro users.

We got temporary discounts and 2 games per month so far. Imho the 2 extra games we got should just be considered a compensation for the features lacking at launch + a welcome bonus. But stadia pro users are paying for these discounts. Even though we have 3 months not billed, we paid 129 euros for the bundle so we kind of paid it anyways.

So Google, you should definitely have permanent discounts in the store, even though it's 2 or 3 games rotating every week, it's the deal we did.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I didn't expect much at launch, and I still think it's going to eventually be a great service.

I am let down by some of the pricing of games. I think it's a mistake to price the games the same as or in some cases more than the established norms. Darksiders Genesis is the perfect example, right now priced $10 higher than pretty much all the PC sites. I know the developers set the prices, but to me that means Google isn't working closely with the developers to make sure the pricing is good. 

Aside from that, my service works well, I like being able to move between devices and I expect it to get better. But I think it's going to be difficult to grow the platform if they keep charging the same and even higher prices for games as the established markets. They need to draw people in and when they have a big enough customer base they can compete equally with the other platforms.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Im very happy with stadia. Using Ethernet cable on a 75mbit connection. It never fail to me.

Im very impressed over what they deliver to us considering we only pay for a controller and a cromecast, we can use that to stream 4K TV series and movies also. So it’s a price cheaper then Apple TV, but here you get a console too.

The no install no upgrade and faster loading is something i really appriciate. Grapics wise i see the grapics is different in some games. Like assassin creed odessey lagg but it also lagg on ps4, (got refund on ac odessy) wolfenstein youngblood have better grapics on stadia vs ps4. And games float well with no more latency then console.

Rdr2 offer 60fps in HD with less latency vs console. And grapics seems similar to ps4 pro if not better.

The last thing that make me very happy is that you never need to waist money on a game that wasnt for you. Refund on all purchases within 14 days/ 2 hours gameplay. This service alone is enough for me to buy my next games on it.

I hope stadia grow and continue on in future, because i dont want to go back to my ps4 that sounds like a jet machine, and need to delete games everytime i want a new and it take hours to install next one. Nice to have options to just continue gaming on my PC when im not home.

2 Kudos
Community Member

I have packed up my xbox 1 and ps4 and moved them to storage. Stadia works great for me and they happened to have 4 games I have yet to play through, so I don't care much about the library size ... YET! They could have a million game, but I can only play one game at a time so as long as they have at least one I want to play start to finish, I'm good.

I'm having fun playing, so all the other stuff people are complaining about is just noise to me.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I was quite excited by the concept of Stadia and Cloud gaming is certainly the future or, at least the infrastructure can support it. 

There are some neat features and so like how I can swap from TV to my MAC and pick up where I left off, albeit it’s quite choppy on my MAC even though I’ve placed it next to the TV. The controller is nice and well designed and, as a massive Modern Warfare fan, the fact there are no updates is cool (Google please bring CoD to Stadia).

However, having played for a few days on Stadia, I haven’t been back since. It feels kind of empty. Pulling the trigger button on Destiny 2 just seems devoid of any feeling or connection. I can’t quite put my finger on it and I’m not sure it’s anything to do with major lag.

whilst early days, I think with the buying power and reach of Google, the games library should be way better and with some triple A ‘free titles’. I can get and have purchased previously all of the games on Stadia from CEX for less than £20, sometimes less. 

For now, it remains an item that sits on the shelf.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Scottydog Destiny 2 isn't really a CoD type shooter. It's more like WoW with guns. It definitely has a different feel. I would recommend trying it with a mouse and keyboard on your PC instead. I hated it at first and didn't really get into it until playing it for a while with a mouse and keyboard.

The game library will improve of course. The prices will drop, it's a new platform so prices are going to be a bit higher for a little while. That is always the cost of being an early adopter (Founder). You get to play with new tech earlier but you pay more for it.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I feel the same way. 4k 60 fps was the big selling point for me. Before launch I considered buying rdr2 again (already played it on ps4 pro) just to take advantage of all the teraflops and 4k60 Google has been so eager to talk about, before launch. But when it turned out to be i washed out version of the console versions, as with almost every game on stadia so far, i decided not to. The worst part for me is the huge lack of communication from google. In the weekly community updates they Only seem to talk about topics no one asked. I get the same feeling as when Anthem came out and EA and Bioware went silent. Still havent lost hope thou. Sticking around the first 3 months in hope of positive surprises!

1 Kudo
Community Member

Stadia has actually exceeded all of my expectations !!!! Very smooth gameplay, no lag. Only complaint so far is the current lineup of games.
1 Kudo
Community Member

Not really to be honest. First of all I think they proved more than any other service that they have the tech to make game streaming viable. The technology works, having said that.. Google's communication has been all over the place. But let's be honest Sony and Microsoft have had their moments too (PS3 and Xbox one). I am a huge Destiny fan, so the fact that I can play Destiny in my living room, at my desk, on my phone at 60FPS (which is not possible on my PS4 Pro) with lower loading times, is enough for me to be satisfied. Yes, not all the features work yet but I am not bothered by that, instead it gives me time to wrap my head around all the advantages that the streaming service has to offer. For example..the free games. I have a PSN plus account and always claim my free games but never play them because I am too lazy to download (capacity management)...update etc those games. With Stadia I just push the red button to play. On playstation I would never...never tried out Farming Simulator and found out it is actually I nice game. Not entirely my thing but fun nonetheless. I never expected Stadia would surpass the image quality of a PS4 Pro and for me the added convenience and practical use of Stadia sets it above the competition. Yes I would like a bigger game library but with not yet having played the latest assassin's creed, red red redemption, the last 2 tombraiders and a active Destiny 2 player I have more than enough to keep me going for some time.
2 Kudos
Community Member

@Anarchrist Do the games play well for you? Can you play them across multiple devices? What was it about Stadia that initially made you decide to purchase it? Does it accomplish that?

New games will obviously be added over time. No brand new platform has EVER launched with a large library of games. I think you were just expecting the impossible here.

Is your Chromecast rebooting unexpectedly or bricked? It is intended to run hot but shouldn't crash endlessly or brick itself. Definitely request a replacement if it does. Mine runs hot playing for hours or even when idle but I haven't experienced any crashes/reboots/etc. Unfortunately all hardware has some failures that make it through testing.

No one ever said that a controller on WiFi would be revolutionary just that it would help minimize latency. Are you experiencing poor performance? Lag? Compression? Spending a bit of time resolving any network issues will usually take care of it.

I've been really happy with it so far. Will most likely be my primary gaming platform going forward. Definitely not going to miss buying hardware for gaming. Some improvements are needed, more games, controller WiFi on all devices, 4k on PC, etc. but I am patient and know the platform will improve at a steady clip. The single biggest reason to stick with Stadia is that it'll improve faster than other platforms.

Just stop believing all the doomsayers wearing tinfoil hats. This isn't some side project for Google that they will dump when they get tired of it. They are heavily invested in Stadia and are in it for the long haul. The last time they put this much of an investment into a product/service we got Android... does it seem like they are going to abandon that? Businesses don't abandon successful products.

So will Stadia be successful? My guess is that it will be. What I believe will happen is that people become so accustomed to trialing a game on Stadia after watching a trailer for it on YouTube that the other platforms will seem lacking in comparison. The ability to jump into a game immediately is really the killer feature that Stadia already has. The convenience it offers is unparalleled.
3 Kudos
Community Member

Solid answer, thanks, and yeah I think I am trying to find an optimist point of view, I really wanna love this platform. I guess the hype train was way too bloated. 

bit reading these responses I think I am gonna hang onto this and stick with it for a year.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Glad to hear it. Also looking forward to see how it improves over the next year. If nothing else the Chromecast Ultra is a great little streaming device.
0 Kudos
Founder
Founder

@Excog 

What's your take on the graphics vs playing the same game on a console? I keep hearing people complain about the lack of 4K and how much worse games look on Stadia.  For me this just hasn't been the case, you? Maybe people get hung up on buzz words instead of what the final product actually looks like? I mean, I'm not seeing much of a difference in game play in terms of Stadia's upscaling vs what consoles do to produce what they call "4K" or HDR gaming. I just haven't had a bad experience at all and it's almost like people get pissed that I can't complain. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

@xgudwilx Don't have a console to compare it to anymore but I have compared FFXV on Stadia vs FFXV on PC. They look and play mostly identical. On the PC I can crank the settings all the way up for some minor "improvements" on graphics but it drops me to about 30fps, playable but not great. I think some things in the game actually look worse (less realistic?) at the highest settings but that's just my opinion.

As far as the upscaling to 4k that people complain about, it is actually a benefit of the platform. First and foremost, the upscaling is handled on their servers which means your TV (assuming 4k) doesn't need to upscale the image which would introduce additional latency. That ensures that regardless of what resolution the game is running at the experience remains as consistent as possible.

Second, the differences are extremely subtle, people are exaggerating the issue, and blaming other things on it that aren't attributable to it. Lots of pixels in the image is because the game is being rendered at a lower resolution than your screen. Loss of detail is because of the compression that occurs when streamed. Most people are complaining about loss of detail but then blaming it on 4k upscaling... which is just wrong.

I played the Project Stream beta and I thought it looked good then but they have vastly improved the compression technology over the last year. Give Google another year or two and I don't think we'll be able to see the very subtle differences anymore.

Give the the game developers a bit more time to learn and optimize the games for the platform and we'll see more games that meet the 4k 60fps goal.

Long story short, it plays great and looks great for me right now. Yes, there are some differences between local hardware but I am honestly more excited about what it'll be able to do in the future vs what it can do right now.
1 Kudo
Community Member

We the users/customers should present a action lawsuit for misleading advertising during the Stadia's Launch.

If even Apple was afraid of due to slow old phones, why Google lied us about the service and we don't do nothing more than be patient?

0 Kudos
Stadia Player
Stadia Player

carcajada-gif-9.gif

1 Kudo
Founder
Founder

Maybe 9 months later but it makes sense to me @Excog ✌️. I rarely have time to game but so far Stadia just keeps getting better imo. I just came on here trying to find out if I could play, say MK2, two player on my Chromebook..one Stadia controller and one xbox controller. ??

0 Kudos
Community Member

Actually no Stadia works great for me, and yes it is still early and not all have been working as intended . But it just really need some more games and defiently some more indie games. And i also miss adventure games 😉

Stadia name Nightcrow#9757 🙂
0 Kudos
Community Member

I do not feel lied to nor let down, but I do feel Google botched the launch in several ways. The code distribution was ridiculous, the lack of communication from the top was bad (people like @GraceFromGoogle were great, though!), and the general lack of the big, exciting features at launch was disappointing. Things not yet ready like integration with YouTube, Stream Connect, etc., make Stadia look rushed to the public.

However, one thing I will not fault them on is how the service works. I understand that, for some players, for myriad reasons, Stadia does not work well. However, for me and many others, it works amazingly well. In fact, on my 4K TV with a wired Chromecast Ultra, it plays a local console. Seriously. That is brilliant and shows what the technology can do, at least under ideal circumstances.

The games library is also serviceable. Is it great? Nope. But this is how systems launch. Nintendo 64 launched with two games! Xbox One and Playstation 4 launched with about 25 or so, similar to Stadia, but I will concede their libraries had more newer games, while Stadia's mostly had older titles. Of course, Google is a new platform holder and cannot easily sway developers to support them with new titles at launch. They need to make their games run on Stadia, which is basically a different environment that runs Vulkan as the graphics API, so this is not trivial.

I think the future is bright if Google toughs it out. To concede a lead in streaming game technology would be foolish, as the games industry is huge and growing (bigger than film!), and this is the future. Getting out now would be like if Amazon quit while it was still selling mostly books, before the explosion of online shopping. That is where Google potentially is now, and leading this market will be immensely profitable in a few years.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm very happy with Stadia. I have average internet but it performs very well for me. It has given me the ability to get back into gaming by playing cutting edge games without gaming hardware. I'd like more games to be available but have plenty to play until then. When people are shelling out for next gen consoles next year, Stadia won't become obsolete like the PS4 and Xbox1 and should be able to play a variety of next gen titles.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I just wish they didnt suffer from gross hubris... how hard is it to email your founder client base to keep them apprised of your shortcommings?! Like... not... one... communication....ever. I hope the ivy league running Stadia is fired. These 1% arses are wayyyy too far removed from reality to know what they're supposed to do when it comes to "customers". LOL.
1 Kudo
Community Member

I visit both forums this one and reddit and there is tons of ultra fanboys that it's really hard to find some real info, It's fine. It runs great for me but everything else is just completely awful. I think i read grace is like the face of google STADIA, during the xbox run you had team members at neogaf participating in coversations and talking about what is coming, talking about indie games...the XBOX team is amazing at getting down the ground level and talking to us.

I could go on but whatever.

0 Kudos