cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Do you really want Cross-Platform Play?

Do you really want cross-platform play on Stadia?

Short Answer:

Nope. Hold the contamination please.

Long Answer:

I feel implementing cross-platform play could spell Stadia's demise, because it's purity and uniqueness would be compromised. Stadia's playerbase couldn't possibly benefit from adding the PC's higher FPS and abundance of cheats into the mix. Do you really want to arm wrestle someone with a bionic arm? I don't. Stadia gives each player the identical unmodifiable platform to see who's better at the game. The consoles can't even hang their hat on that anymore. Why? Cross-play, same generation multi-tiered hardware, and yup... even cheats. There's a real comfort in getting my ass kicked on Stadia just knowing it's the most level of playing fields.

Stadia, do Stadia.

10 Kudos
49 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Xer0graV This is an interesting point I haven't seen made before. I'm not sure though tbh. I'd love to see the player count get increased in games like destiny.

Other consoles have cross platform play and there's no complaints. I don't think there would many complaints from Stadia users either because of the bigger playerbase.

Love does not despair. Love gives us hope that change is possible
4 Kudos
Community Member

Yes to cross-play. Just regulate accordingly. Down with the gaming walls! 😅
6 Kudos
Community Member

The questione in my opinioni is different... Do you want to play online multiplayers game in 2020 ? With the only Stadia users at the moment is not possibile to play almost any online games that is not Destiny 🙂

More over on others consoles you can enable/disable crossplay with one click. Anyone can choose if they want to play crossplay with PC users or not.

Last but not least I think crossplay is a great feature, I personally have a lot of friends playing with PS or Xbox. Having the chance to play with them would motivate me to buy or not a game on Stadia.

4 Kudos
Community Member

I'd like a larger playerbase as well, but not at the cost of plugging Neo into the Matrix. If you bought Stadia this early, you were likely looking for something different. That difference is what will ultimately attract more players, but allowing other platforms to shred Stadia players will have the opposite effect. I understand how cross-platform play works, you opt-in or out at the press of a button, but I also understand how Stadia works. As competitive multi-player team, why would we choose Stadia as our platform in a cross-platform play world? We wouldn't, because we wouldn't be competitive. We should all understand how Stadia works by now, the inherent input lag we experience is only acceptable if the opposing players experience it as well. Cross-platform play is a solution for a dying playerbase, not a fledgling playerbase. There will only be one loser in cross-platform play, Staida. I'll excitedly wait for a match with my Stadia brothers and sisters,  but if they've all clicked the opt-in cpp button, I'll just go back to playing on my PC or PS4 where at least I'm directly connected to that **bleep** show. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

Exactly op, it's basically one big LAN here no lag cheats ever, best thing about stadia.
1 Kudo
Community Member

Certainly an interesting point of view.
However, it must be considered that Stadia is, for now, a niche product. This means that there are not many players on the servers as it happens on PS4 or PC instead.
Playing Cross-platform allows you to play.
For what you say maybe you would need a switch that allows you to activate or deactivate the cross-platform function. So the end user can decide whether to spend 30 minutes of waiting and play only with stadia players or play immediately with players from other platforms where maybe your friends are also there.
This would allow stadia to be a big step forward with others.

4 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Totally agree with @Jenesis in this point. Cross-Play might have it's good and bad things, but one of the very positive things is that you are able to play with a lot of players all across the platforms. Especially because the Stadia-playerbase is smaller than PC or consoles, it definetely makes sense for all onlinegames to allow Cross-Play.

I mean even imagine when "Elder Scrolls Online" is coming to Stadia, this is an MMO, which means most of it's content is based on having multiple players, dungeons can be done with 4 players, raids with 12 players and you can also do massive PvP battles. All of this would be very hard, if only Stadia-players could do this together, because there might be times, when there's nobody online which could have a massive impact to the player experience for this game. But if you allow crossplay with either the PC or console-server, you would find enough players for every activity ingame at any time.

Especially these days when more and more games are Multiplayer Online games, it definetely makes sense to allow cross-play, my opinion.

1 Kudo
Community Member

While a valid argument, I still wouldn't mind being able to play with more people on games like Destiny 2. So if there was an option like some have suggested here then that would be fine.
0 Kudos
Community Member

For first person shooter games this should never be considered, imagine us running about with our perfect Google server connection to destiny and extra input lag because it's streamed vs people with scuf controllers playing local, laggy console players and high end PC, no thanks and even an option would make it even more difficult for anyone against because most would just pick crossplay not even thinking what I said and just be like woooo more players.

For certain games it works but not FPS.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Xer0graV  finally someone who sees this, it's so obvious but people just want more players not understanding we would be Cannon fodder in PVP.

2 Kudos
Community Member

@ARGAH 

I wholeheartedly agree.

0 Kudos
Community Member

What Stadia need to do though is let players know the advantages here and not just with throwaway comments only those with an interest see, they need to get it out there big time.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@ARGAH 

Absolutley! Stadia needs to step up their game on informing gamers of what they actually have here. Honestly...some of the players here don't seem to know what they actually have in their paws. Maybe some were console players that always wanted a PC, but that high cost kept them out. PC is golden drum, full of toxic waste. The competition has an army of fanboys reviewing a platform they've never even used or simply want to see fail. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Personally I'm a PC Gamer and I always have an hight end PC so I perfectly know what I'm saying and I totally understood what you mean. But it's better being able to play instead of not play at all :).

More over on Stadia you can play with pad against players on PC...

This is almost the same thing of choosing if you wanna play in cross-play or not.

Following your reasoning you should disallow pple playing with Stadia pad vs pple playing with Stadia on PC

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Jenesis I don't care about pad vs keyboard, I care about nobody being able to modify the game, everyone being on the same connection and everyone having input delay the same as me, that is super important for any FPS.

2 Kudos
Community Member

@Jenesis 

I disagree with adding players for the sake of adding players, at the cost of Stadia. That playerbase you and I both have on our PC's is still there. Stadia is not a console and not a PC, yet it has the best of both, and the crap of neither. It's never going to be directly connected to outside game servers, so why allow an inferior game experience on Stadia. On that ever old M&K vs Controller debate. You knew that was allowed when you bought Stadia. This isn't a PS4 where we're debating adding M&K into the fray, it's already an accepted peripheral on Stadia. Are you saying you want to further split Stadia's playerbase into separate lobbies like on consoles? Do it, just don't add in players that aren't governed by the same standards as Stadia players. The PC's in the other room man. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Mates, I'm just saying that:

1) I bought 2 games on Stadia (and I'm not going to buy them on PC/Xbox to have a bigger playerbase) and  when I click find an online room the answer Is always "no game found". All the rest is less important.

2) Don't know why you think that the experience will be wrost if you play on server that are not under Stadia. The performances could be very similar to be honest. Anyway Google, if I'm not wrong, talked about cross-play since the launch of Stadia.

3) If people can choose ti enable/disable the cross-play everyone can decide game by game and everyone Is Happy 🙂

1 Kudo
Community Member

Well for me @Jenesis  it is super important to not have it in FPS games, not even an option because people are daft enough to do it just to play quicker unstable matches, for other games that are pve oriented go ahead but not an FPS game, imagine the guys playing local when they see a bunch of stadians in the other team it's be like Christmas for them.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@ARGAHAgain, I agree. Even the option will further reduce Stadia's true playerbase, and after getting their heads cracked they'll go back to a local platform. I'm actually trying to get friends and family to try Stadia by touting the things I've mentioned. Should I switch to telling, "Oh yeah, you can play with everyone on PC, PS, Xbox and more." They own that hardware. Why would they switch?

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Xer0graV  but it's a question of how do Google get other to see and understand from this point of view and get on board with the most balanced pvp ever to have online, people saying let's go cross platform must think we would be competitive when imo me on stadia and a guy on Xbox with similar everything the Xbox guy would win because we have higher latency on stadia and he could be lagging too, something we can't do our connection is bad we suffer not the other players with a good connection.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@ARGAH 

I vividly remember viewing the full video of the link I posted earlier.  I remember another video of a woman touting the same thing. I was sold on Stadia right then. I knew that cloud gaming tech would continue to evolve and have growing pains, but I was in. The ads Stadia runs currently are comedy, they need use those real selling points used on stage in new ads. I've always been primarily a PC player,  I bought a PS4 because every player with fingers was hacking The Division and DayZ on PC. That experience wasn't any better. Stadia is my new hope lol.

Let me state this as clearly as possible.  If you were able to 1v1 yourself in an FPS game, one you using Stadia and the other you using Xbox/PS4. Stadia you isn't getting a kill, unless Xbox/PS4 you takes a bio mid match. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Like yourself I was a PC guy, back in the days before steam was massive and most games were torrent so went to console for a fairer environment, all I found was lag and different types of cheats, ddos and lag switchers prevalent in anything competitive with good rewards, stadia will surely spell the end of that but only if we play each other.

1 Kudo
Community Member

I would want cross play in most games, even in FPS i know that streaming is a disadvantage for twitchy multiplayer games but as some one who remembers playing Quake 3 arena on my Dreamcast against PC players running mouse keyboard it could be fun and I enjoy that challenge. 

but definitely any co-op shooter needs cross-play 

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Jenesis 

Stadia advertised crossplay between your devices. I don't recall them promising a crossplay between pc, ps4, xbox, etc. If so, I personally wouldn't have purchased Stadia if that was the case, I already own those. They did however tout a superior "cheat free" multiplayer gaming environment on stage:

https://youtu.be/vscPGupgznM

@others

Destiny 2 does not have CP on any other platform. Not even Xbox with Windows PC, that's for good reason. Most CP games are F2P cash grabbers, except for COD MW I guess. On that note COD MW - Ground War doesn't allow CP opt-out, and that's going great for console players lol. It's a turkey shoot even for direct connect consoles.

Again, I'd personally wait for more gamers to see the advantages of gaming on Stadia. Bringing in Stadia haters and critics, cheaters, and op hardware is a mistake that will ruin a platform with great potential. Sorry, that's not the playerbase boost I'm looking for.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I vote yes but as an in-game option. I can see MMOs and co-op games benefit from cross-platform play. Competitive FPS and fighting games might have to wait until input latency is reduced further. In the current state of unequal internet speed, if your friends don't have the capability to sustain smooth Stadia connection, at least you can still co-op with them this way.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Yes, this creates a bit of a pickle for Stadia, and has always been in the back of my mind, too.

I had assumed that playing Stadia through chromecast + controller could feasibly  cross play with other console users (PS4/XBO) without much issue ... but it gets in a muddle in my mind when you think about those Stadia players via Chrome ...  its a two fold problem really.  Going against those with high end PCs, cheaters etc ... but conversely, if cross playing with console users - well you have a mouse and keyboard vs. their joypad ... yeah, messy basically.  Perhaps why we get cross play in games like Farm Simulator and not Destiny 2 ... lol

0 Kudos
Community Member

It could crossplay but you couldn't be competitive, if your going to do it you are pretty much saying it's fine these guys can compete on an equal footing but you would be at a disadvantage that is just fact you are streaming with input latency about 50ms higher that a guy with a wired controller so there would be absolutely no point ever using stadia to PVP when the console is there.

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@ARGAHThere's plenty of good reasons to own Stadia besides the fact that youre only playing with other Stadia players. You have Google as the product owner and you're able to play games on almost any device, plus numerous other benefits.

I think players wouldn't be as offended at cross-platform play as you think they would.

Love does not despair. Love gives us hope that change is possible
0 Kudos
Community Member

Yeah there is but I'm just saying adding crossplay for anything PVP FPS would be a bad thing, we would get owned here and go back to console because it unfair and unbalanced, they will probably do it anyway because people are wanting it but guarantee it will be bad for us.

0 Kudos