cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Do you feel like you're getting your moneys worth? 3 month free

If you think about it these 3 months are going to be the most featureless & minimal for gaming, I feel like we're going through a steam early access phase where we think 3 months is good but in reality what is it worth? If you already have the majority of these games on a PC or another console what is there to do? I see people posting pictures of using it on their smaller screens just like people post pictures of a plate of food, it's cool for awhile but then you look for the substance.

I know this isn't a popular opinion here but during that last free month I really hope they whip their stick out and show us a reason to stick around.

3 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Skywalker Different people will have different answers obviously, but I feel I'm getting my money's worth. Why? Because I came in with low expectations.

I've been a tester for Project Stream, and accumulated 20+ hours in AC:O. At the end of the test period, I remember thinking "Yeah, we won't see anything from this for at least 5 years". Imagine my surprise when Google announced that they were planning to release it by the end of this year. Since then I've been keeping myself updated with all Stadia news, with a hint of skepticism. Even until release, I always treat this release as another testing period, considering Google is labeling it as "Early Access". So the fact that the release was kind of barebones didn't surprise me at all. I'm just happy I'm able to play games during breaks at work, or during work travel.

Money wise, the amount we're paying already cover the hardware cost. Whether you think the devices actually worth that much, that's another matter, but price wise, it's definitely cheaper than buying the individual devices separately. The 3 months Pro membership is basically free ($70 controller + $70 chromecast MSRP is already more than the $130 founder's package tag), not to mention the buddy pass.

I'm not even planning to buy any games at this point. Bought Tomb Raider, then found out it will be free next month, refunded. I'll play it again in a few days. And I'm actually glad Farming Simulator is offered as part of Pro subscription, because otherwise there's no way I'm playing this game. I think at this point I'll wait until my 3 months Pro is up, see what games they're offering during the sub period, then decide whether I want to continue with Pro.

But so far, I'm happy with my purchase.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
4 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Yes, and can't wait for more games! : )
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@Skywalker I'm kinda in the same boat as @Ivan in that I am interested in watching them build this out. Did not even know coming in to this that we would be getting multiple games for free. I already bought ACO even though I have to play through it again, considering buying MK11, grateful to hear that TR will be available to claim next month, and looking forward to diving in to D2 over the holidays.

My Buddy Pass went to a friend who is participating in the X-Box version of this streaming service build-out, and I'm excited to hear what he has to say when comparing the two.

I am getting a ton of value from this. I like it a lot. But I like having early access to new tech in general, so...

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same boat as Ivan - I buy every single console on release and the majority of them have nothing, the advantage of those other consoles is they get alot of third party launches so no one has played the next generation of those games, google doesn't have this advantage.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT if you remember correctly X1 came out first pretty barebones with killer instinct and something else, and PS4 as well..but look at PS4 or Nintendo right now the games they've been release have been incredible.

I feel google  will buy studios like Microsoft and they will build their first party studios out

patience is a virtue here

2 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I think I read an article where they got some of the lead developers from assassin Creed to help and start developing exclusive games for stadia, and the fact that they were able to send some Google engineers to destiny to have a grasp of what to expect with destiny 2 they may be able to get other developers from some of those companies if the employees want to look for other opportunities. I've been playing the Xbox streaming service and loved playing borderlands 2 again there are some graphic issues that not stream in the 1080 graphics or higher but input and everything is fine. Stadia does have something to look after but the biggest thing they need are games. They need to take an Epic strategy like making some games becomes exclusive to stadia looking at what epic is doing to steam. A lot of issues is people having to buy the Chromecast and controller to play but if can play on web browser the service is completely free and playing indie games at 1080p isn't really a huge issue in my opinion. And really thinking about it people will still need to pay $15 for Xbox service and for there streaming who knows if they will even be able to play the new games for streaming, I play on the PC and we don't get every new title for there Xbox gold pass service. Google has the money and the technology they can definitely have a superior edge over Xbox cloud service
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I think I read an article where they got some of the lead developers from assassin Creed to help and start developing exclusive games for stadia, and the fact that they were able to send some Google engineers to destiny to have a grasp of what to expect with destiny 2 they may be able to get other developers from some of those companies if the employees want to look for other opportunities. I've been playing the Xbox streaming service and loved playing borderlands 2 again there are some graphic issues that not stream in the 1080 graphics or higher but input and everything is fine. Stadia does have something to look after but the biggest thing they need are games. They need to take an Epic strategy like making some games becomes exclusive to stadia looking at what epic is doing to steam. A lot of issues is people having to buy the Chromecast and controller to play but if can play on web browser the service is completely free and playing indie games at 1080p isn't really a huge issue in my opinion. And really thinking about it people will still need to pay $15 for Xbox service and for there streaming who knows if they will even be able to play the new games for streaming, I play on the PC and we don't get every new title for there Xbox gold pass service. Google has the money and the technology they can definitely have a superior edge over Xbox cloud service

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

That is a dangerous game if they take on the EPIC strategy they better make sure the title never ever hits the "Top wishlist" of steam or the press is going to be so bad for STADIA. There is quite a few games they can find through Itch.io/Gamestorm or if they have a team looking into games being developed that have yet to be revealed.

I agree they need to be aggressive like EPIC but they also need the robust features of steam.(this is the number one complaint when people talk about EPIC, they lack features, MODs, stream share..the list goes on and on with the amount of decked out features STEAM has GOG is getting better too)

so if they create a robust ecosystem, amazing prices for those games..they will easily dismantle the competition.

I really really personally want them to look into MODs especially with single player games..not sure how that would work with cloud stuff but hey google is looking to innovate the industry..HAVE AT IT.

1 Kudo