cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Data Cap Issue

Great job with Stadia. Love it. But I'm going to have to say good bye for now.

My reason for leaving is Data Caps. Until you all can either make deals with big ISP or convince big ISP to remove data caps in USA. It won't matter how good the service becomes or how many great games you have. When majority of Americans are forced into 1tb data caps this service is going to piss off alot of people that don't understand what they are getting into. 1080p for 3-4 hours a night for a month is around 650gb and and atleast double that for 4k. Atleast. For me and my family, who also watch Netflix and Hulu and Disney plus. That puts us at 1.5tb or so a month. So either I don't play on Stadia, or tell my family to watch less so I can play games. If I go over 1tb is 10 dollars for every 50gb or 50 dollars extra a month. Basically 600 dollars a year. So basically Stadia costs either 50 dollars a month or 60 dollars a month on pro. Not cheap at all. Right now everyone is loving it. Especially since covid19. All the big ISP are offering unlimited data for free. But that's over after June 30th. Alot of your customers are going to be caught off guard and be charged alot of money by there ISP. Google. You guys and gals are going to need to figure out how to make this work for the average person. It seams great now. The dream of many people will be crushed very soon. A lot peoples answer to this is to switch providers....... Majority of Americans only have 1 or 2 options as those ISP have a monopoly across majority of America.

I absolutely hate that I have to leave Stadia behind. But getting a next gen console will be way cheaper in the long run. Your customers need to know the truth of what they are getting into if they don't have unlimited data.

If your wondering at all, I'm on Comcast Xfinity. And in California they have a monopoly on internet. And if you want unlimited data it cost a butt load. Att is the same and sonic is my only choice if it was a available to me at a decent speed at price, as it is unlimited data. But for me, I cannot justify the extra cost and most likely alot of people won't be able to justify the extra cost. Again great service. If you have unlimited data or you can afford it. Play on. Stadia Rocks!

I'm crossing my fingers that Comcast either ups there data cap after all this covid19 stuff to atleast 2 tb. Cause I know they would never give us unlimited for free if they can do make extra money off us poor suckers 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Member

@Beanboy That really sucks for people in America, I feel bad for you - and on top of that you have to live with Donald Trump with the whole world watching! I remember when we used to have data caps, but I’ve not had one for probably 10 years now...

hope you can get it sorted and enjoy Stadia again soon!

0 Kudos
Community Member

Data caps... I used to work for Comcast, back before they went bad and outsourced all their customer service to the Philippines and added data caps...

You could try getting business class service at the expense of lower speeds. Or pay for unlimited like every other person under the age of 40 (cuz who isn't living their life on the net these days?).

0 Kudos
Community Member

I don't know if this helps but Comcast has a plan that costs $25 more a month to rent their equipment and it gives you unlimited data. It's called XFi Advantage. It's a little better than paying $50 more a month but still sucks they don't offer more data.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Comcast just recently brought "xFi Complete" (Formerly XFi Advantage) to California for $25 a month. If you already rent a modem from them ($14 a month) then "xFi Complete" is just $11 more a month since the "Xfi Complete" price includes the price of the modem rental. See images in the Reddit thread below

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast/comments/hgwu3i/xfi_advantage_changed_to_xfi_complete_can_be/

I just upgraded from old 100 Mbps plan I got a few years ago to a 200 Mbps plan with "Xfi Complete" for the same monthly price as my old 100 Mbps plan, now I have no data cap. As another user suggested, you may want to check out "Xfi Complete" now that's it's finally available on the US West Coast, especially if you're already renting a modem from them for $14 a month.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Data caps are a scam. Lifting them across the US during stay-at-home orders didn't seem to crush ISP networks even with a greater load. Networks held up fine, so any "fairness" argument for capping usage is garbage.

Comcast is evil for sure, I'm sorry for anyone that has to pay more to them. Complain to them, complain to Google, write your congress.

In my state we don't have data caps, so I will gobble as much GBs as I can in solidarity for those that are less fortunate.

1 Kudo