cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Canceled Stadia - the lag and performance is pitiful

My friend has an XBox and I have a PC. The wonderlords at Bungie don't have the capability of us playing Destiny 2 together on different platforms so we tried out Stadia. My internet is about as good as you can buy with what I have available in the area.

I play Destiny on PC through Steam when I'm not playing with my friend and the performance is fantastic, no lag whatsoever. Smooth as silk.

Stadia however...WOW. What an absolute disaster. Blocky images, lag, terrible performance overall. It's unplayable.

I was planning on keeping the service so we could continue to play but it's just not worth it at any price, even free.

What a missed opportunity. I have tried everything and searched the forums to get better performance but nothing works.

Thanks for the free couple weeks Stadia but my god this was such an awful experience.

1 Kudo
22 Replies
Community Member

Hi @ZepStrawberry18 

Are you playing on a 2.4ghz WiFi network? If so, then I recommend switching to a 5ghz network. My initial experience with Stadia was similar to yours (but on Chromecast ultra). After I switched to 5ghz, my experience improved tremendously. I have a dual bandwidth router which is what gives me access to both 2.4ghz & 5ghz WiFi.

If you're using Ethernet, then I don't know how to help you.

2 Kudos
Community Member

@ZepStrawberry18 

At this point I would imagine that your experience will form your decisions going forward, however I would suggest that this sounds, unequivocally, like you had some form of fairly major issue.

If you have a 40mbps+ Internet connection and a PC, TV or a.n.other device capable of handling Stadia you should have an almost seemless experience of 4K HDR, free from any of the issues you state above.

I would seriously advise contacting Googles customer support, and letting them run you through the troubleshooting, and then be cheeky, ask for another month.  This in no way sounds like the experience you should be having.

3 Kudos
Community Member

So, Stadia is great at exposing subtle networking issues. You claim to have very good internet (though we don't know where you live) but that Stadia is absolutely awful. I spent this past holiday weekend in Prescott, AZ, in the mountains, with 40Mbps connectivity on a 2.4GHz shared wifi and was able to play games on Stadia without issue whatsoever.

Stadia is less dependent on having the "fattest pipe" and more dependent on having a consistent and stable connection. Unlike YouTube and Netflix which buffer streams so you don't notice hitching, or local games like Destiny 2 on PC which use TCP to ensure all data is transmitted, received, and processed in the correct order and uses an infinitesimally tiny amount of bandwidth beside, Stadia *does* require that smooth and steady connection as it's using a lot more data to relay that smooth, 4K image to you.

What you're describing is more of either a location issue, ISP issue, or internal network issue, none of which is up to Google to solve. The technology works and it works really really well. If it didn't, nobody would use it. It's more apt to ask, "how do I figure out what the problem is", instead of running around falsely claiming that Stadia is pure awful.

6 Kudos
Community Member

@Dare : I agree with a lot of what you are saying, although it is very difficult to identify when Google is just plain messing about with their infrastructure.  The support guys have absolutely no clue about what is or isn't happening on the Google network that might be causing interference with the experience that a user might be expecting.  Typically, every new game release on day one sucks for me.  Extreme lag and all manner of performance issues and hiccups.  Switch to another title and issue is gone, switch back to newly purchased title..it sucks again.   Wait a day or two, everything runs fine again.

Just something that I've just got accustomed to with Stadia because I've wasted too much time going back and forth with support and getting absolutely nowhere.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
2 Kudos
Community Member

@Dare 

It isn't as simple as a "smooth" connection, I have a 500mbps connection sent through a Netgear mesh Orbi system, and I run an ethernet cat 8 cable (I know it's overkill for my speed, I'm expecting an area upgrade any time now) to my CC Ultra, most of the time, Stadia runs smooth as butter, but I'll get 10 minutes here and there where it becomes unplayable, there is no drop in speed, I can even go into my bedroom (same setup, connected by ethernet cable via Netgear Orbi mesh) and it will run smoothly, go back to the living room, and lag.

If you eliminate the speed, and stability of the connection, then logically, the only reasonable answer would seem to lay at Stadias feet, maybe a mac address issue? I don't know enough about Stadia to posit a decent guess, all I can say is that it is definitely not just down to speed and stability of connection. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

At the time of my comment stability was a lot easier to achieve (for me) than it seems to be lately. I don't know if it's a capacity issue or what, but like you said, you can go an hour over ethernet doing just fine and suddenly for 10 minutes you're skipping frames and experiencing sudden but extreme macroblocking making gameplay darned impossible. Then it'll clear up again. 

Those issues I do leave at Stadia's feet. I'm an engineer and I keep detailed real-time visualizations and logs of network traffic. During those times Stadia traffic is prioritized over everything else and during those times no other devices are using.bandwidth. My overall bandwidth isn't taking a hit and my jitter hasn't moved. That's a Stadia problem, and it's happening more and more frequently these last few weeks. 

2 Kudos
Community Member

I've been with Stadia Pro since last December and at first there were a few connectivity issues but for the last few months i haven't had any problems in fact i cant remember the last time i had any buffer problems. The only time i had them before is if someone else connected to my internet and started online gaming and it then had a few seconds of buffer before coming stable. I've increased my internet speed to 350mbps and we can literally have 3 people online gaming and zero buffer on Stadia. Its proving to be a really good platform to simply press a button and be straight into a game. Currently have the Chromecast Ultra plugged into the back of my projector on a 100" screen and the experience is incredible. I honestly cant fault Stadia and for the price i think its unbelievable and cant quite figure out why more people are not getting onboard with it. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

You have a terrible experience because you have a terrible internet.

1 Kudo
Community Member

That simply isn't true in all cases, I have a 500mbps connection sent through a Netgear Orbi mesh, this means I can connect my Chromecast with an ethernet cable, barely losing any speed, and maintaining excellent stability.
I have 2 Stadia setups, and 1 will become unplayable I can log into the other, and it runs smoothly again, go back to the first, and it's still lagging.
My experience isn't unique, and this sometimes happens when I'm the only one in the house, so nothing is pulling traffic away from Stadia, even if it was, I have the 2 Chromecasts set for priority traffic.
Stadia do have as of yet unexplained lag issues.
1 Kudo
Community Member

I was replying to the the OP. The experience he describes is the one of someone with a bad connexion.

You're saying it runs as butter most of the time, yet you have interferences when you're moving in the house. This is probably an issue in your setup rather than Stadia.

By the way, the power supply provided with the CCU is compatible with ethernet.

1 Kudo
Community Member

You seem to have misunderstood my post, I said I have a more than fast enough connection, run through one of the best Wi-Fi mesh systems for the home market, finally the mesh units are connected direct to the Chromecast with a cat 8 ethernet cable.
When I said I can be playing on on of the 2 identical Stadia setups in my house, 1 will suddenly start to lag, sometimes for up to 10 or 15 minutes, during this time, not only do I have a stable connection (tested at several times and places through the house, including an app that directly measures the connection to the Chromecast) but if I go to the other stadia setup, that one will run smoothly, I then go back to the lagging one, after shutting it down and logging back into Stadia, only to find it unplayable again.
Now this doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen at least once a week (I may not have been a founder, but I'm 42 and retired, unless I'm being dragged out by the missus, I'm usually on some form of game, and have racked up over 600 hours in under 4 months on Stadia).
The simple fact is my connection is not at fault, not my speed or stability, the only other thing it can be is a Stadia issue, many other people have had similar problems, and just because you have been lucky, and experienced no lag, doesn't mean that your experience is by any means the "typical" one.
0 Kudos
Community Member

@Nilas Based on what are you making that assessment?

1 Kudo
Community Member

If I had to guess, I'd say general ignorance, mixed in with the dunning-kruger effect.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Or someone who has a decent connexion and none of the issue you're talking about. I'm a founder and I played nearly a thousand hours on Stadia already, during long sessions. I can't see why the system would work for some people but not the other, except if their connexions and setup aren't the same quality.

1 Kudo
Community Member

@MojoFilter81 

My guess is some people, myself included (as I layed out above have lag problems, despite 500mbps connection hardwired through a WiFi mesh system, the lag is not because of lack of speed or stability) have lag issues, that sometimes make games unplayable for 10 to 15 minutes.

Combine that with no real progress with any of the platforms problems since launch has caused the 50 or so IRL friends that all got Stadia to ditch it in favour of console/PCs, largely due to the lack of availability of games. 

I'm 42 and retired, I spend most of my time being shouted at by the missus because I'm constantly gaming, I'd either played all the Stadia games I'm interested in before, or I burned through their catalogue faster than they are releasing interesting games. 

Stadia has the potential to become the gaming platform of the future, but it seems to be aimed at the "Pro" market, rather than people who have the money to buy games, basically it seems to be being run by "faceless suits" rather than gamers. 

I've been a gamer since before the word existed, playing on my Atari 2600 and ZX81 etc, I think I've owned every home computer and console released in the west, and a couple that weren't, and out of them all, Stadia seems to be managed/marketed the worst of the lot, then you have word of mouth advising (very important, specially to a new concept platform) and with players leaving it so regularly (litteraly all my IRL friends, and out of my Stadia friends list, only 3 are active) other people will not be being encouraged to join.

I think if I was to point out 1 major problem, it's that Stadia was released too early, with too few games, and an unfinished platform (seriously, gamers like to talk to each other, which genius decided to leave out a text chat interface?). 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Stadia is a system that runs very smooth. No Problems since begin of the Plattform. And with the Developertools from Chrome u could play in 4k on PC since the start.

Only Metro has Serverproblems sometimes.

Ofc u need 5Ghz and a stable connection without minilags and the Googleserver must stay near to u. In Germany no Problem.

1 Kudo
Community Member

Did you bother to read any of my posts here, I have a fast, stable connection (500mbps through Netgear Orbi mesh connected directly to my Chromecasts with cat 8 ethernet cables), while 1 Chromecast will become unusable with stadia, the other will be fine, and when it does lag (often for up to 15 minutes at a time) I can run speed tests on the connection to the Chromecast and it will be fine.
The problem is not with the connection, but with the platform, again, just because you don't get hit with lag, doesn't mean that it isn't happening.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Only because u cant see a problem, it does not mean its all right 🙂

At the start of stadia, there was so much to check in the settings of graka, chrome, wlan etc. pp. Who knows what is the real Problem with your chromecasts. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

@MassiKK thats the point.

Thats a stadia Problem too. The Most people want to press Start and the Plattform have to run. But stadia has lot of requierments to the network, Infrastructur and where u live. The Most dont get it and say it is stadia. Yes it is, but not directly. 

1 Kudo
Community Member

@Schauschau

The point as @MassiKK correctly pointed out, is I have a great connection, very stable and I still get infrequent, but regular bouts of gameplay destroying lag that seems to always last 10 to 15 minutes, and as I have explained now several times, when the Chromecast I'm on starts to lag, I can log into the other one, and it's fine, go back to original Chromecast, and still find lag, that would point to a flaw in either all 3 of the Chromecasts I've gone through in the 3 and a half months I've been on Stadia, either that, or Stadia have connection issues.

The fact that I can go from one lagging Chromecast to a perfectly fine one and back to a lagging one is very strange, if it was always the same Chromecast that lagged, I'd put it down to a hardware fault, but it can be either. 

However you want to try and twist things, the basic facts are that if my connection is faster than needed (by a factor of 10) and extremely reliable (I use a Netgear Orbi mesh system, connected to the Chromecasts with ethernet cables), and if it's not a hardware problem, then the problem lies with stadia, how else could it possibly down to anyone else?

And saying that because stadia may not support some ISP infrastructures, is indirectly a stadia problem is nonsense, it's a Stadia problem and only a Stadia problem, directly to be fixed by Stadia. 

Otherwise they'd better change the advertising to "compatible with " some" networks, recommended speed of 40 mbps, but if you get constant lag, then don't come crying to us"

Not a very reassuring message. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

Oh PS, before anyone says it could be my Netgear mesh, the problem is exactly the same if I use the router that came free with my ISP, I just have to rely on Wi-Fi for the bedroom Chromecast, so the speed drops a bit, but not hugely. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Classic-Rando i think u dont understand me. Yes its a stadia Problem.

In the Most cases in reddit and here in the first month issues mostly was setting Problems. It is Not every time, but by far the Most. 

This is a problem too, because the stadia Support cant handle it, because the problems are everywhere. 

A connect test, Dont Shows Mini lags for exampel, that can have impact.

Developer Chrome Tool was important at the Start too, to play smooth and in 4k 😅

In the End stadia gets better, but very slow and the requierments are mostly the problem. 

2 Kudos