cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens after my 3 free months of Stadia Pro are up?

Stadia Employee
Stadia Employee
38 34 20.7K

Hi everyone,

Can you believe it’s already been three months since Stadia first launched onto your screens? Time sure flies, but we’re just getting started!

With the first three months of most Stadia Pro subscriptions coming to a close, we wanted to address the questions about what happens when a Stadia Pro subscription lapses. Take a look at the FAQs below to learn all about how you can continue gaming with Stadia.

FAQs:

Q: What happens to my Stadia account if I cancel my Stadia Pro subscription or when my 3-months of Stadia Pro expires? 

A: If you decide to opt-out of your Stadia Pro subscription, your account will be reverted to the free version of Stadia when you reach your subscription renewal date. Your Stadia Pro subscription will automatically renew though so there’s no lapse in your membership unless you actively cancel.

Q: What will happen to the Stadia Pro games I claimed (e.g. Destiny 2: The Collection)?

A: You’ll lose access to your claimed Stadia Pro games but will retain access to the games you've purchased from the Stadia store.

Q: Will I lose access to the Stadia store if I’m no longer a Stadia Pro subscriber?

A: You’ll continue to have the option to purchase games from the Stadia store and play them.

Q: What will happen to the progress I’ve made on the Stadia Pro games if I cancel my subscription? 

A: If you decide to re-subscribe to Stadia Pro, you will regain access to your previously claimed games, as well as retain your progress for those games. Additionally, if you decide to buy one of your previously claimed Stadia Pro games a la carte in the Stadia store, you will regain access to all of your saved data and progress. Your saved progress is safe!

Q: Will I be losing anything else if I cancel my Stadia Pro subscription? 

A: You’ll lose the ability to play games in 4K with HDR and also 5.1 surround sound. You'll also lose the ability to claim upcoming Stadia Pro games and access to discounts on game purchases.

Q: What about my friend that didn’t purchase a Founders/Premiere Edition nor receive a Buddy Pass? When will they be able to play games on Stadia? 

A: In the coming months, anyone in our 14 launch countries who didn't buy a Premiere Edition or receive a buddy pass will be able to access Stadia for free.  

If you have any additional questions or concerns, you’re more than welcome to post in the Stadia Community Forum or contact the Stadia support team

34 Comments
Community Member
I would assume that if I re-sub in the future that I would regain access to the pro games I claimed previously?
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide
Hopefully this clears up some confusion. Thanks Stadia team!
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Kolivan That's literally answered in the post lol.

Community Member
So can we buy Destiny 2 if we cancel or are we just SOL?
Stadia Employee
Stadia Employee
@Kolivan - Yes, that's correct! As long as you claim the game while your Stadia Pro subscription is still active, you'll have access to that game once you re-subscribe.
Community Member
Thanks Stadia team! Communication has been so awesome lately.
Community Member

What happens to your founders gamertag do you lose that too?

Community Member

hey @StadiaTeam, there's some rumor about the Founder's badge and the #numbers. Once you are a Founder, always a founder, right?

Community Member

@Kolivan 

The answer is right there in the post lol. In case you missed it though:

Q: What will happen to the progress I’ve made on the Stadia Pro games if I cancel my subscription? 

A: If you decide to re-subscribe to Stadia Pro, you will regain access to your previously claimed games, as well as retain your progress for those games. Additionally, if you decide to buy one of your previously claimed Stadia Pro games a la carte in the Stadia store, you will regain access to all of your saved data and progress. Your saved progress is safe!

Community Member

Such a great post, answered all my questions and have me a lot of information that’s all good to know! Thank you for another amazing community update, keep up the great work!

Community Member
I still think we should keep Destiny... it was advertised that we would get it... with the fine print saying its a "pro only" game. kind of a bs move.
Community Member
Please update football manager been 15 days now unreal.
Community Member

@Suffolkgamer Agreed. What's the hold up here @StadiaTeam Miles SI games has said on twitter that the update has been submitted to Google and the delay is with you. 

Community Member
What happens to my unused Buddy Pass, will I still be able to use it if I let Stadia Pro expire?
Community Member

Hey, @StadiaTeam,

When our subscriptions run out, could you at least let users who bought into the premier and founders edition get to keep d2 the collection, because it was a major selling point for stadia, and honestly the only reason I bought it. You should reward the people who supported stadia in its crucial months and at least let them keep d2 collection.

If so,

Thank you from Draxis_Skjoung

If not,

Well I guess you read this far,

Congrats.

Community Member
If i decide to cancel my sub, can I re-subscribe at any time or do I need to wait till they enable Stadia Pro for everyone who wants to pay?
Community Member

If I buy a game at it's normal price then in the future decide not to go pro, will I still have the 4k and surround sound? If I paid full price will I always get the surround sound and 4k regardless if my pro subscription?

Community Member

If we purchase games from Stadia, we should have access to 4K with HDR and also 5.1 surround sound on those games. Not having that access can be a turn off for many. 

Community Member
"Q: What will happen to the progress I’ve made on the Stadia Pro games if I cancel my subscription? A: If you decide to re-subscribe to Stadia Pro, you will regain access to your previously claimed games, as well as retain your progress for those games. Additionally, if you decide to buy one of your previously claimed Stadia Pro games a la carte in the Stadia store, you will regain access to all of your saved data and progress. Your saved progress is safe!" This I like very much! The only reason the Pro subscription has any value to me is 4K and of late since I can't stream Stadia due to the HDCP on Chromecast Ultra and browser support for 4K is not here, been really questioning the subscription. 1080p gameplay on 4K monitors or TVs is a horrific nightmare of a visual experience. But it is good to know that even if I was to temporarily stop the subscription, all the claimed games and progress would still be recovered. Makes it worth being a Founder and maintaining that collection of games.
Community Member
@Danielo, honestly, the only reason for having a pro subscription is 4K HDR 5.1. It has been that way since the pricing was released at E3 in 2019. Besides, not sure if you are aware of this but the overwhelming majority of gamers especially on PC (despite the PC master race none sense) game at 1080p NO HDR NO 5.1. Even when you look closer at what those PC gamers who talk about 1440p being the best resolution for gaming, are using, it is a pixel count of 2560*1440 or 3,686,400 pixels. 1080p has a pixel count of 2,073,600 vs the 4K pixel count of 8,294,400. So 1440p is not much different from 1080p. For this reason, it makes perfect sense that Stadia Base, even though you will be buying all your games on there, is at 1080p not 4K. I would also argue that for what you are getting for the $10 or so per month subscribing to Pro (i.e. 1 may be 2 games to claim each month), it makes more sense to be a pro subscriber than be on Base and buy the games. Especially since you will recover all you previously claimed games if you re-subscribe to Pro after leaving for a period of time. Pro actually works out to be identical you PS Now or XBox Game Pass only you are accumulating the games over time with the subscription. Probably because there are a very limited number of games on Stadia currently.
Community Member

Wasn't "Destiny 2: The Collection" supposed to be a perk of buying the Founders edition? Buyers were supposed to retain that even after pro expires. Destiny 2 was listed separately from the "3 months of pro" in the Founder's Edition feature list.

Community Member
@StadiaTeam What about the Founders badge and absence of numbers after our names? Do we keep that privilege as early adopters or does our name revert to base and get 4 random numbers after it?
Community Member
Will there be Huawei phones compatible with Stadia
Community Member
Bait and switching your founders with the misconception that Destiny 2 was a bonus for paying 129.99 for a chromecast and a controller is a super shady move, Google. If you treat the game as 'added value' but then take the game away, it was never an added value at all. It was a marketing tactic to sell more founder's units.
Community Member
@Xune you keep your founders tag
Community Member
@Waluigi you're right the did say that when advertising it. It's a shady move but what can ya do. They adjusted afterwards saying it was pro only
Community Member

Good info and it makes sense.

I would only wish there was a yearly option for the subscription already. 

Community Member

I have renewed my subscription, but i will never be happy that the Destiny 2 Collection is being taken away from Founders. this is false advertising and someones should sue Google. Google being the giant they are, should honour their promise. Check these tweets and see yourself how a false advertisement is made. Not cool!

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1156263185181106177?s=20

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1136670139586400257?s=20 

Community Member

I know what about to say is probably going to upset people, but...... DESTINY 2 BASE GAME IS FREE ON EVERY OTHER PLATFORM! 

Community Member
I am a student at Drexel. My exams are coming up this quarter. I would not be able to do gaming the next month, if I cancel my subscription my claimed games would be taken away and there would be no game left to play once I finish my exam and relax. this is just absurd
Community Member
@Draxis_Skjoung or at the very least let us have access to New Light (base game) without the DLC like Bungie has already done, the game is free I shouldn't be expected to have to either a) keep getting ripped off at £8.99 a month or b) spend £39.99 on the upgrade edition and get the DLC that I'm really not even bothered about because I have it on Xbox already
Community Member

@sudharshan I'm worried for you and your finals if you can't even understand a simple blog post. It's already been stated in the article and addressed again in the comments that you do not lose access to the pro games you've already claimed nor do to even lose your saved data once you return to a pro membership. You've nothing to worry about, broseph. 

Community Member

What if i didn't receive my buddy pass?

Community Member

Why cant yall at least have one game thats free for when u buy stadia because i cant use stadia now because my oass went out to claim free games so i cant even play anything anymore