cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Akitoe00b
Community Member

When can I just subscribe to stadia without having to buy the $130 package?

Jump to solution
I would like to try stadia but I don’t want to invest that much money on something I maybe won’t even like! So when can I just subscribe?
1 Kudo
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Chufu Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hey @Akitoe00b,

Stadia Base (the free version of Stadia) is coming out in 2020. There is no exact date yet, but Google said it might be "early 2020". So this would be one option to play Stadia for free, the other one would be if you can get one of the Buddy Passes from a friend that has a Founder's edition, you get 3 months Stadia Pro for free (just remember to cancel this if you don't want to renew). That would be also an option to test Stadia.

With Stadia Base you would be able to join Stadia for free, you might still need some of the requirements to play on specific places (e.g. a chromecast Ultra for your TV), see here what you need to play then.

Here is a quick overview of Stadia Base in comparison to Stadia Pro:

Stadia pro and base.png

¹Stadia Controller and Google Chromecast Ultra are required for play on TVs.

²Stadia requires Wi-Fi on all devices. At launch, Stadia supports Chrome OS tablets including Pixel Slate, Acer Chromebook Tab 10, and HP Chromebook X2. At launch, Stadia supports Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 4 family phones. Availability and performance of gameplay features and services (including 4K, HDR, 60 FPS, and 5.1 surround sound) are network-, device-, and game-dependent, and may not be available for all games in all areas. See https://support.google.com/stadia for more details.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mad_Dog_Bravo Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Akitoe00b : Or you can do it right now if you are able to get a Buddy Pass.  Of course that won't permit you to play on a TV unless you either have a suitable Chromecast Ultra already available, and you would also need to purchase a Stadia controller as well to play on a TV.   But if you are only interested in playing via a Chrome browser then either wait until the Base edition is released this year, or obtain a Buddy pass.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Chufu Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hey @Akitoe00b,

Stadia Base (the free version of Stadia) is coming out in 2020. There is no exact date yet, but Google said it might be "early 2020". So this would be one option to play Stadia for free, the other one would be if you can get one of the Buddy Passes from a friend that has a Founder's edition, you get 3 months Stadia Pro for free (just remember to cancel this if you don't want to renew). That would be also an option to test Stadia.

With Stadia Base you would be able to join Stadia for free, you might still need some of the requirements to play on specific places (e.g. a chromecast Ultra for your TV), see here what you need to play then.

Here is a quick overview of Stadia Base in comparison to Stadia Pro:

Stadia pro and base.png

¹Stadia Controller and Google Chromecast Ultra are required for play on TVs.

²Stadia requires Wi-Fi on all devices. At launch, Stadia supports Chrome OS tablets including Pixel Slate, Acer Chromebook Tab 10, and HP Chromebook X2. At launch, Stadia supports Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 4 family phones. Availability and performance of gameplay features and services (including 4K, HDR, 60 FPS, and 5.1 surround sound) are network-, device-, and game-dependent, and may not be available for all games in all areas. See https://support.google.com/stadia for more details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide

@Akitoe00b : Or you can do it right now if you are able to get a Buddy Pass.  Of course that won't permit you to play on a TV unless you either have a suitable Chromecast Ultra already available, and you would also need to purchase a Stadia controller as well to play on a TV.   But if you are only interested in playing via a Chrome browser then either wait until the Base edition is released this year, or obtain a Buddy pass.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
solochris
Community Member

I had the same question, from what I am seeing here there is no way to get stadia pro without either buying the premiere edition or getting a buddy pass? Well I don't know anyone who bought it so the buddy pass is out and I can't afford the premier edition. I was just wanting the subscription service for use with my PC (may be my tablet not sure on that one) so I don't even need the controller or the chrome cast. Is there really no way to get the subscription service right now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Chufu Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Hey @solochris,

buying Stadia Pro without needing to have a Founder's or Premiere edition or a Buddy Pass, will probably be enabled when Stadia Base is coming out.

At the moment if you want to join Stadia, you need to have one of the three requirements (Founder, Premiere or Buddy Pass) to be able to get Stadia Pro.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide

@solochris : Correct, there are no available options currently possible without either purchasing the Premium edition or getting access via a buddy pass from a Founders edition subscriber.  The good news is that the base version is planned for a 2020 release date and additional countries are also expected to be available for Stadia users too.  So for now, it really is just a case of waiting until further announcements are made by Google.

Current country list and requirements are available from the following URL:  https://support.google.com/stadia 

0 Kudos