cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sir_JayVee
Community Member

Pay to keep playing bought games?

Jump to solution

I have the Founder's Edition. The renewal date is fast approaching. I have bought a number of games which I should now be able to keep playing in Stadia Base if I were to end my Pro subscription. 

But... There is no Stadia Base. Do I understand it correctly that I'll need to keep the Pro subscription for now as it is the only way to keep playing on Stadia? To keep playing the games I bought and payed for?

Does anyone else feel that this is a rip off, or did I misunderstand the idea that after the included 3 months of Pro we would be able to seamlessly shift to Base with the bought games?

Did the Stadia team make any announcements about adding free extension time to our Founder's / Premiere editions while Base is not yet available? (It would be the only fair play at this point, I feel.)

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mad_Dog_Bravo Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Sir_JayVee : In effect your account switches to a basic account if you decide not to continue your subscription.  Even though you can't get a basic account yet, that is what in effect happens.  So you do not miss out on any of the games that you have purchased.

"I'm assuming nobody has been able to try this out yet, as nobody has yet reached their renewal date (Nov 19th - Feb 19th)." - actually this has taken place already for any users that returned their Stadia founders edition or premium edition package but had purchased a game.  They are still able to play their purchased games.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Whito
Community Member

Screenshot_20200212-134623_Chrome.jpg

I better keep my opinion. Officially you do not lose your access even if Stadia Base has not been released. I recommend saving the image before deleting the tweet ... as they do with the controllers. Surely this publication will be reported.

1 Kudo
4 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide

@Sir_JayVee :

I don't think you follow the pricing model correctly.

You pay a subscription to:

1. Play at 4K and/or with 5.1 audio
  2. Receive Pro discounts on games that you wish to purchase
  3. Claim Pro titles that are made available from time to time
  4. Ability to save more screenshots and clips

That in a nutshell is about what you are paying with a pro subscription.  If you purchase a game (not claim, but purchase), that game is yours to play regardless of whether you have a pro subscription or not.  The caveat though is that you can only play that game at 1080p/stereo if you do not have a valid Pro subscription.

So if you want to play purchased games at 4K/5.1 then yes you will need to pay a subscription.   If however you only play at 1080p/stereo then you can cancel your subscription and you will still be able to play the titles that you have purchased.  You won't be able to play any of the claimed titles until a subscription is active again, at which point you will still have access to any saves/progress that you had made on those claimed titles.

Does this answer your question, or do you need more clarification on this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sir_JayVee
Community Member

I'm not talking about those Pro perks, I'm talking about what happens with the bought (not claimed) games when you end your Pro subscription and the renewal date has come and gone and Stadia Base is not yet available.

Your answer is basically the Pro vs Base pricing model explained, but it kind of assumes that Base is available. Which it isn't.

I'm assuming nobody has been able to try this out yet, as nobody has yet reached their renewal date (Nov 19th - Feb 19th). But perhaps there was some communication from the Stadia team that I missed, hence my questions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide

@Sir_JayVee : In effect your account switches to a basic account if you decide not to continue your subscription.  Even though you can't get a basic account yet, that is what in effect happens.  So you do not miss out on any of the games that you have purchased.

"I'm assuming nobody has been able to try this out yet, as nobody has yet reached their renewal date (Nov 19th - Feb 19th)." - actually this has taken place already for any users that returned their Stadia founders edition or premium edition package but had purchased a game.  They are still able to play their purchased games.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Whito
Community Member

Screenshot_20200212-134623_Chrome.jpg

I better keep my opinion. Officially you do not lose your access even if Stadia Base has not been released. I recommend saving the image before deleting the tweet ... as they do with the controllers. Surely this publication will be reported.

1 Kudo