cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Troubleshooting connection and stream quality issues

Before you try other troubleshooting steps, make sure your internet has a connection speed of 10 megabits per second (Mbps) or greater. Even if you’ve signed up for an internet plan of 10 Mbps or greater, we recommend testing your connection on the device you’ll use in the location where you want to play. 

Learn about your connection status

Learn about data usage, bandwidth controls and ISPs

Troubleshoot slow game responses or degraded visual quality

Your Google Chromecast Ultra, computer, or phone might have a weak internet connection. To improve the connection, here are some things you can try.

Chromecast

Tips for improving game streaming quality

• Plug your Chromecast Ultra into Ethernet, if possible. (Note: Your Chromecast Ultra has an Ethernet port on the power adapter.)
  • Turn on Game Mode in your TV’s settings, if available. Check with your TV’s manufacturer for instructions. 
  • If you’re using Wi-Fi, move your device closer to your Wi-Fi router. This will increase signal strength. Keep them at least 2 feet apart to prevent interference.
  • Use the 5GHz Wi-Fi band instead of the 2.4GHz band. Check with your Wi-Fi router’s manufacturer for instructions on how to switch. 
  • Stop streaming music or video on the same Wi-Fi network, even if it’s happening somewhere else in your home. Stop or pause any downloads or backups. This can free up bandwidth that’s being used by other services.
  • Open the Google Home app[icon] > tap your Chromecast > tap Settings [icon] turn off 50Hz HDMI mode.

Tip for improving screen distortion

If your screen seems stretched or out of bounds, or Stadia notifications appear cut off, set your picture size to “screen fit” and disable overscan in your TV’s settings. On certain TVs, the "16:9" picture size implies overscan. Check with your TV’s manufacturer for instructions. 

stadia.com (Google Chrome)

• Make sure JavaScript is enabled in Chrome for stadia.com.
  • Open a new Incognito Window for Stadia. 
    • If this resolves the issue, you might have a browser extension that’s incompatible with Stadia. 
  • Make sure you don’t have a Chrome extension that blocks the WebRTC protocol as this will prevent Stadia from working properly. Some VPN Chrome extensions may do this. Check the information for your extension in the Chrome Web Store
  • Make sure your firewall or VPN rules do not restrict traffic on ports in the range 44700 - 44899 (TCP and UDP). These are required ports for playing games on Stadia. Note: This range might change in the future. 
    • If you’re using an enterprise network, check with your network administrator. Your network administrator might block ports in this range. 

Stadia mobile app (phone or tablet)

• Connect your phone to Wi-Fi. 
  • If you’re using Wi-Fi, move your device closer to your Wi-Fi router. This will increase signal strength. Keep them at least 2 feet apart to prevent interference.
  • Use the 5GHz Wi-Fi band instead of the 2.4GHz band. Check with your Wi-Fi router’s manufacturer for instructions on how to switch. 
  • Stop streaming music or video on the same Wi-Fi network, even if it’s happening somewhere else in your home. Stop or pause any downloads or backups. This can free up bandwidth that’s being used for streaming or downloading.

Tips for improving Stadia Controller connectivity

If your Stadia Controller is slow or unresponsive, it might be having trouble connecting to Stadia. To resolve issues like missing or delayed button presses, here are some things you can try.

• Move your Stadia Controller closer to your Wi-Fi router. This will increase signal strength. 
  • Stop streaming music or video on the same Wi-Fi network, even if it’s happening somewhere else in your home. Stop or pause any downloads. This can free up bandwidth that’s being used by other services 
  • Limit the number of other devices using a lot of bandwidth on the same Wi-Fi network. 

7 Kudos
Highlighted
Defmincex13
Community Member

My feedback setup. Stadia on 5ghz wifi connection, chromecast ultra, stadia controller, 1 gig internet = excellent connection status (4k 60fps "or so it claims") with minimal input lag playing Destiny or assassin's creed. Stadia on hardwired cat6 cable, PC on chrome browser, mouse and keyboard, same 1 gig internet = good connection status. Never 4k resolution and while input lag is minimal, mouse movements will stutter every 2 minutes for at least 10 seconds. Checked bandwidth usage during gameplay pn PC and stadia is using around 20 to 25 MB/s, or 200Mbps in this scenario but can never surpass "good connection". This is concerning when the stadia website along with its speed test says i should be getting 4k on a fraction of this connection. Overall I can forget im streaming a game and it feels like im playing ps4 pro while playing non fps games using the chromecast and controller over wifi. Otherwise using chrome browser with KB/M hardwired feels like a major step down. Which goes against everything when it comes to wired/wifi. Would like some more open lines of communication with the Stadia team on the process, stability and future rollout plans be it backend or features. No one expected this to be a smooth sailing adventure that worked 100% as claimed day one. This is new ground being explored. I don't mind paying to be a early adopter (aka beta tester). But I think we deserve some honest communication on a somewhat daily basis so we can if anything help the Stadia team provide a better product. We bought into this to help make sure it is a success, not crap on your years of effort.
6 Kudos
Highlighted
Valynor
Community Member

1080p is the max resolution currently supported on PC/Chrome, so that's normal. 

Maybe try different USB ports and/or a different mouse. Also check your OS mouse settings. 

I play on PC/Chrome78.0.3904.108 with wired kb+m without issues. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JellieDonutz
Community Member

I don't get it, I can't hardly play destiny 2 or assassin's Creed without disconnecting after just a few minutes of playing. So frustrating. I am playing in my basement that has some block walls, so I figure that's part of the issue, but the info I'm getting for my connectivity stats doesn't make sense. I set up a mesh network with 2 Google WiFi points. One on the home entry level plugged into the modem of course, and the second with me in the basement. Chromecast ultra is plugged into the basement WiFi point via a cat6 cable. Google WiFi app says I'm getting 21MBPS download, on my phone (while sitting in the basement) using the Stadia speed test web page it says my download speed is 21MBPS (so Stadia and Google WiFi app agree on my download speed), Google WiFi app says basement WiFi point signal is great, in the Stadia app I have set my data to limited usage and turned off HDR. I've done all I know to do to try and maximize a good connection, but it's garbage when trying to play. I even gave the Chromecast ultra priority in the Google WiFi app to boost bandwidth. My Google WiFi mesh is on my ISP's 5GHz option. There are other things using WiFi in the house, but they're using the 2.5GHz option and are not using the Google WiFi mesh network. What gives?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
SirCaffeine
Community Member

Most routers now a days also have QoS features. Quality of Service helps the router prioritise certain networks. I think this tip could help a lot of people get an even better Stadia experience. 
1 Kudo
Highlighted
FriendofJorh
Community Member

For a lot of people the 2.4GHz band will be the better option. It all comes down to the location of the router. I know many people that have a perfect experience with 2.4GHz but not the 5GHz. Also it has been helpful to use an HDMI cable extender to locate the CCU itself in a better location, away from the TV and in more direct line of sight, especially if relying on a 5GHz signal.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Avalon
Community Member

Hey.

My GF and I ordered a Stadia's founder Edition. She took the edition and I took the friend code.

While she can play perfectly with a good quality my quality is always between "ok" and "game migth stop".
We live together, are both in ethernet and are both using excellent computer. Your website give me an "excellent connection" evaluation with a 524.868 Mbit/s bandwidth.

• Javascript is enable.
  • The Stadia port are open on my router.

What can I do ?

BR,

EDIT : Disabling hardware acceleration in chrome flags did the tricks. Still no idea why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
frozst
Community Member

This definitely needs addressed:

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Network-Connectivity/Google-change-the-bitrate-management-model-and-...

All bad reviews from Stadia are due to the poor bitrate management presets you are using.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
EricL
Community Member

For those looking for a step-by-step troubleshooting guide, I had set up this for a while back which might help you identify what might be causing your connectivity issues: https://forms.gle/4cb5j1JWrUh1JfdYA I hope this can help you get Stadia up and running !
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Death
Community Member

Same here, 1Gps fiber, stadia crashes repeatedly. Worked fine on 25mps cable...
0 Kudos