cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IronBeagle
Community Member

Data Caps

Jump to solution
I have already passed my data cap for the month. Unfortunately with a big family that streams all content this is just not feasible. 50 dollars a month to have unlimited data would be like buying a console every year which is very unfortunate because I absolutely love Stadia but I cannot play it due to data caps. Is anyone else running into the same dilemma? Is Google talking to major ISPs? @GraceFromGoogle please send help, I love Stadia but I can't stand these data overage fines.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sornin
Community Member

I am not really sure what Google or @GraceFromGoogle would be able to do in the near term to help you, but I do get where you are coming from. Stadia virtually requires unlimited data if you plan on gaming even regularly, let alone heavily. I am up over 1 TB of data in about 10 days, and that is almost only from Stadia - if I had a family doing other stuff on the connection, it would be far worse.

The only thing that is going to improve the situation is market pressure on the ISPs. In most countries (I'm in Canada), this is not a problem, but from what I understand the good ol' USA has the market divvied up into what are effectively monopolies, and thus ISPs have no real competition. This allows them to cap data at 1 TB or lower and not worry about pushing customers to competitors, and then allows them to extort additional money for unlimited data when the cost to deliver additional data is nearly zero. Yes, once infrastructure costs are accounted for (and your ongoing monthly payments cover that already...), the actual delivery of data costs nearly nothing, so when you pay an extra $50 per month for unlimited data, that ISP is pocketing close to all of that. It's a pretty good game they are running.

Hopefully the fact that streaming entertainment is only getting more prevalent will push ISPs to who still have these caps to remove them, but unless you have an alternative ISP that is about all you can do - hope.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
5 Replies
Highlighted
Ivan Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@IronBeagle Looks like you're using Xfinity. Just curious, are you playing in 4K? And how much are you playing every day? I just checked my usage for this month, but I'm not even close to pass my limit. I don't have 4K though.

Maybe you can switch to the 'Balanced' or 'Limited data usage' setting under 'Data usage & performance' to reduce the amount of data consumption. Resolution might take a hit, but at least you won't hit the limit while you try to convince your family to switch to unlimited data 😛

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
0 Kudos
Highlighted
IronBeagle
Community Member

@Ivan stadia is not the root cause of the overages. I checked my data consumption for the past couple of months and I'm averaging over 800GB. Our household is pretty techie so updates on multiple devices plus media streaming is not going to go away anytime soon.

The plan was to switch to Stadia seeing as how incredible it works and stop spending 600 dollars every few years on consoles, however in order for me to continue using Stadia without worrying about data fees I would have to pay 600 a year to have unlimited data. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sornin
Community Member

I am not really sure what Google or @GraceFromGoogle would be able to do in the near term to help you, but I do get where you are coming from. Stadia virtually requires unlimited data if you plan on gaming even regularly, let alone heavily. I am up over 1 TB of data in about 10 days, and that is almost only from Stadia - if I had a family doing other stuff on the connection, it would be far worse.

The only thing that is going to improve the situation is market pressure on the ISPs. In most countries (I'm in Canada), this is not a problem, but from what I understand the good ol' USA has the market divvied up into what are effectively monopolies, and thus ISPs have no real competition. This allows them to cap data at 1 TB or lower and not worry about pushing customers to competitors, and then allows them to extort additional money for unlimited data when the cost to deliver additional data is nearly zero. Yes, once infrastructure costs are accounted for (and your ongoing monthly payments cover that already...), the actual delivery of data costs nearly nothing, so when you pay an extra $50 per month for unlimited data, that ISP is pocketing close to all of that. It's a pretty good game they are running.

Hopefully the fact that streaming entertainment is only getting more prevalent will push ISPs to who still have these caps to remove them, but unless you have an alternative ISP that is about all you can do - hope.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Highlighted
oceanic
Community Member

If you use xfinity, call customer support and ask about "xfi advantage". It is a $15 modem rental program that includes free or $10 unlimited data depends on where you are, basically you can have unlimited data for $25 (west coast) or $15 (other region) . If you are renting the modem from them anyway, you can save more.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
sj
Community Member

Thanks oceanic, your solution worked for me!  I am somehow, going to be getting faster internet and unlimited data for slightly less than I'm paying now, and its not a 6 or 12 month deal either.

1 Kudo