cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

stadia works great for 2-3 minutes and then completely drops out

I'm on vacation visiting Rochester NY and Stadia works great for 2-3 minutes without any lag or skipping and then completely drops out. I either have to reconnect or close the tab and reopen a new tab. My game instance is still running but I'm usually dead in game at that point. I've tried 3 different games. It works fine for me in the bay area CA and I've played for hours at a time.

I've tried lowering all my settings, using and ethernet cable to the router, unplugging/plugging the router and cable modem. I've also made sure no else is streaming or downloading. I've tried at different times during the day and the behavior is always the same. I didn't get any specific error codes either. I've tried using my laptop and the chromecast ultra which is the same hardware I've used successfully in California. When I use the controller with the chromecast, the controller feels like I'm still in the game because of the vibrations but the screen goes black and then exists. The cable internet provider is Spectrum and the speed test reports 100mpbs. The equipment appears to be cable provider issued. I did a download test of a linux iso image and that got sustained download of 100mbps over 8.5 minutes.

I did have one technical support session with Google and they told me it was a provider problem and I should contact them. Unfortunately, even if I could call them, I can't imagine they thy are going to be helpful with a 3rd party streaming service. I don't see a common complaint thread about stadia and this provider though. The only thing left to try is going to the store and buying a new router but I'm not sure I want to spend $100+ on a decent router to play stadia for a few days.

Anyone else have issues like this? I thought I'd post my setup and symptoms just in case someone had any ideas.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Member

The issue could be with spectrum or your home setup. the CCU may be using 2.4 because of the distance, but you say that you are also having the problem with the computer, but you said that you can download a linux iso without issues. I would first off try doing a speed-test, I recommend speedtest.net check to see if it can quickly find the "Optimal Server" and the ISP, also look at the latency, upload and download speed. If it takes more than a few seconds to find the ISP and "Optimal Server" it may be a problem with the router, modem/router combos aren't great, they yield slower performance compared to a modem and router connected through Ethernet

0 Kudos
Community Member

I have almost identical issues. My router (Virgin super hub 3) is 3m from my Chromecast , I have 100MBs speed and Stadia becomes unplayable after 3-5 mins

0 Kudos
Community Member

I now know that this is a Chromecast Ultra issue - it’s just worked faultlessly in HD on my laptop through a Chrome browser.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I had same issue when I first received it. I had to get a replacement and it solved the problem.
0 Kudos