cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Troubleshooting connection and stream quality issues

Before you try other troubleshooting steps, make sure your internet has a connection speed of 10 megabits per second (Mbps) or greater. Even if you’ve signed up for an internet plan of 10 Mbps or greater, we recommend testing your connection on the device you’ll use in the location where you want to play. 

Learn about your connection status

Learn about data usage, bandwidth controls and ISPs

Troubleshoot slow game responses or degraded visual quality

Your Google Chromecast Ultra, computer, or phone might have a weak internet connection. To improve the connection, here are some things you can try.

Chromecast

Tips for improving game streaming quality

• Plug your Chromecast Ultra into Ethernet, if possible. (Note: Your Chromecast Ultra has an Ethernet port on the power adapter.)
  • Turn on Game Mode in your TV’s settings, if available. Check with your TV’s manufacturer for instructions. 
  • If you’re using Wi-Fi, move your device closer to your Wi-Fi router. This will increase signal strength. Keep them at least 2 feet apart to prevent interference.
  • Use the 5GHz Wi-Fi band instead of the 2.4GHz band. Check with your Wi-Fi router’s manufacturer for instructions on how to switch. 
  • Stop streaming music or video on the same Wi-Fi network, even if it’s happening somewhere else in your home. Stop or pause any downloads or backups. This can free up bandwidth that’s being used by other services.
  • Open the Google Home app[icon] > tap your Chromecast > tap Settings [icon] turn off 50Hz HDMI mode.

Tip for improving screen distortion

If your screen seems stretched or out of bounds, or Stadia notifications appear cut off, set your picture size to “screen fit” and disable overscan in your TV’s settings. On certain TVs, the "16:9" picture size implies overscan. Check with your TV’s manufacturer for instructions. 

stadia.com (Google Chrome)

• Make sure JavaScript is enabled in Chrome for stadia.com.
  • Open a new Incognito Window for Stadia. 
    • If this resolves the issue, you might have a browser extension that’s incompatible with Stadia. 
  • Make sure you don’t have a Chrome extension that blocks the WebRTC protocol as this will prevent Stadia from working properly. Some VPN Chrome extensions may do this. Check the information for your extension in the Chrome Web Store
  • Make sure your firewall or VPN rules do not restrict traffic on ports in the range 44700 - 44899 (TCP and UDP). These are required ports for playing games on Stadia. Note: This range might change in the future. 
    • If you’re using an enterprise network, check with your network administrator. Your network administrator might block ports in this range. 

Stadia mobile app (phone or tablet)

• Connect your phone to Wi-Fi. 
  • If you’re using Wi-Fi, move your device closer to your Wi-Fi router. This will increase signal strength. Keep them at least 2 feet apart to prevent interference.
  • Use the 5GHz Wi-Fi band instead of the 2.4GHz band. Check with your Wi-Fi router’s manufacturer for instructions on how to switch. 
  • Stop streaming music or video on the same Wi-Fi network, even if it’s happening somewhere else in your home. Stop or pause any downloads or backups. This can free up bandwidth that’s being used for streaming or downloading.

Tips for improving Stadia Controller connectivity

If your Stadia Controller is slow or unresponsive, it might be having trouble connecting to Stadia. To resolve issues like missing or delayed button presses, here are some things you can try.

• Move your Stadia Controller closer to your Wi-Fi router. This will increase signal strength. 
  • Stop streaming music or video on the same Wi-Fi network, even if it’s happening somewhere else in your home. Stop or pause any downloads. This can free up bandwidth that’s being used by other services 
  • Limit the number of other devices using a lot of bandwidth on the same Wi-Fi network. 

7 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

2 feet? 😳

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

That's at LEAST 2 feet away.

You want the router close, but not too close. Any closer than 2 feet could actually give you a slower connection due to interference.

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

So, why does the speedtest for Stadia say I have 5Mbps, when every other speedtest in the world tell me I am in and around the correct speed (600 Mbps)...?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

How do I interpret "your connection is unstable" when I have a ping < 3ms, 879.99 down, and 783.59 up on my fiber connection?

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Using the projectstream.google.com/speedtest I get around 30Mbps on a wired computer with my kids streaming Netflix on one TV and my wife streaming YouTube TV on another TV.

The graphics are degraded and I get kicked out of a game in less than 5 minutes because my connection is too slow. I opened an Incognito Tab and the results are the same.

I used the Contact Us section to request a call and the wait is Under 1 Minute, but I have yet to get a call. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have a 330mbps Connection Stadia says I have 4Mbps. Can someone please explain? Am I that far away from a NODE in Vancouver,BC ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I think there is something wrong with the connection from Google to Vancouver (and sourounding areas) Everyone I've talked to (Shaw and Telus) says their speed is <10Mbps when we are all 300+... Google has been as helpful as you can expect from a blind, deaf company that cares absolutely nothing for a country.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same issue as the rest: wired Ethernet connection, no one in the house streaming, speed test at 100+ Mbps and we are getting stability warnings and games won't start

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Maybe package loss? Is not all about total speed. Try to test it for package loss. Good luck.

1 Kudo