cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Streaming Quality taking the fun out of it all

So Stadia with Founders Edition and i thought give it a whirl even with an Xbox X and Switch in the House.

The Connection problems are seriously taking the joy out of the whole concept for me.

When it runs at 4k hdr all great but anything less is an eyesore for me and happens too many times for me to justify it. Icould just fire up my X and have a visual and performance consistancy.

My connection is always fine, i do a speed test to check and its great and Stadia tells me just "good".and expects me to play a blurry game.

Happy Holidays Stadians

IMG_20191227_141619.jpg

Screenshot_20191227-141604.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@EMPTY6PACK The quality on my end has been consistently good on Chromecast, Chrome, and my Pixel 3. I don't think I've ever seen the whole screen go blurry. Let's see if we can figure out what's preventing you from having a similarly-great experience.

To start with, are you playing on a Chromecast or a Chrome browser? And is that device connected to your network over WiFi or Ethernet? Does it make any difference if you disable HDR or knock the quality setting down to Balanced? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Codesplice, 

I play over chromecast. It does'nt make a difference if hdr is on or off and it stayed the same earlier even when switched to balanced which i don't want to do really as i prefer 4k.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@EMPTY6PACK Is the Chromecast connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Via Wifi, i can't cable up to ethernet it would go across the whole room.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@EMPTY6PACK Could you stretch a cable across the room just for a quick test? Google strongly recommends a wired connection for the Chromecast, and I've seen a lot of users report a dramatically improved experience after heeding that recommendation. 

If your experience does significantly improve with a wired configuration then we can try to focus on improving the quality of your Chromecast's WiFi connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

i will have to buy or lend a cable first as i dont have one at hand. I can give feedback afterwards.

It has worked 4k hdr for 70 percent of the time but sometimes it's just too annoying when i have great reception and stadia just says good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@EMPTY6PACK In the meantime, is your Chromecast connected to WiFi on 2.4GHz or 5GHz? 5GHz can provide higher peak speeds but is also more easily blocked by walls and other obstructions. Both bands may also contend with interference and congestion from other WiFi networks; you can use something like Ubiquiti's WiFiMan app to make sure your network is configured for a channel with minimal congestion.

I do wish that the native Stadia connection check provided more detail about the quality of the connection. A fast download speed is certainly important but factors like round-trip latency and packet drops can have a bigger impact on your gaming experience. You can try a more thorough speed test like https://packetlosstest.com/ to see if you might either of these symptoms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

My Chromecast is connected to 2,4ghz although everything else except my Hue Sync Box runs on 5ghz. I have read that running the Chromecast on 5ghz makes a difference but it only grabs 2.4 from my FritzBox Router so i am trying to figure out how to force it to 5ghz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Can anyone help me make Chromecast use 5ghz on my Router? Everything else uses it just the Google stuff doesnt. I have to keep 2.4ghz open as my hue sync box doesnt support 5ghz.

Screenshot_20200112-112714.png

0 Kudos