Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia, same wired network, bad connection on Chrome, great connection on CCU

Jump to solution

Hello!

I can't play Stadia with Chrome on 2 of my main PCs, while it works perfectly on other devices in the same network.

The error message is "Your internet connection isn’t stable enough to play..." and it drops out. Sometimes it works for a limited time with stutters and artifacts before dropping out.

On another PC (same, network, same switch, same router ) it works flawless. On another Laptop over 5ghz wifi it works flawless (same router). On the Chromecast Ultra (same switch, same router) it also works perfectly. All of them reach "Excellent" quality, no stutters, no artifacts. On my Smartphone (Pixel 2, over 5ghz wifi, same router) in also works great.

It's just those two PCs. Both are pretty high end devices which play everything else without a problem. No problems on live streaming, no problems on gaming, No problems with downloads.

I'll take one of them as an example. Here are the specs:
Windows 10 Pro
I7-8700k, 32GB Ram
Geforce GTX 1080 TI

Internet connection:
German Vodafone 1gbit download/50mbit upload, Berlin area
Speedtest.net result: 920mbit down/46mbit up
Google Stadia speedtest: 620mbit down, Stadia compliant
geschwindigkeit.de (to Frankfurt): 872mbit down, 48mbit down, Ping 21ms, Jitter: 0.90ms

Everything tested on the device in question.

What I tried to solve it:

- Different cables, different router, different switch, different network card and chipset, driver updates, direct connection to the internet

- Removing all Chrome extensions

- Incognito Mode

- Rebooting, trying again and again and again over multiple days

- Removing all software that could remotely interfer

- Making sure no other downloads are running

- Removing network settings, completely hard resetting the network connection (Windows function)

- Disabling the Windows Firewall (no 3rd party firewall or Antivirus installed)

- Making sure no VPN and no Proxy is configured

- Reinstalling Chrome (removing all configuration)

- Creating a Virtual Box VM running Windows 10 on the machine in question and run Stadia within this VM: Excellent connection, but of course thats not really a solution.

- Testing all of the above on the second PC that can't run Stadia with the same result.

Nothing works. It will always be dropping out and telling me the Connection is very unstable.

I'm out of ideas. I appreciate any help, I want to play Stadia on these devices.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

I "solved" it by disabling hw acceleration. It cant be a coincidence. After probably a hundred tests runs over all the days since release it finally works the same second I disable hw acceleration.

Super weird is, that it continues to function even when I reenabled it. There was also a Geforce driver update, but I don't think its connected to that, because I run the driver update after I got a good connection.

I'll watch it, but I just played for almost an hour without issues. Before that the connection would just drop within a few minutes and never go over "ok" connection quality.

It's not a connection issue, its some weird rendering issue.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I am in the same situation. Germany VDSL 100 100 down / 40 Up (Vodafone). Stadia is working on Lenovo T450s from 3 years ago with i5 5300u, 8 GB RAM, SSD and Win10 (connection is "good" over 5GHz Wifi just a few hick ups from time to time). It also works with absolut no problems on a Pixel 4 XL and the CCU (via Ethernet). Only Machine that didn't want to play Stadia as I wish is my Chromebook from Acer (from 10/2014). It's working on a good to ok connection on 5GHz Wifi but Lag is terrible. I tried a lot of different things but nothing helps. 

I just noticed one strange thing. And I would like to ask you if you can run a Speedtest on speedof.me 

On each Speedtest I get a minimum of 90 down but on speedof.me (pure html5 test) with my Chromebook I don't make it over 14 down... Maybe you are expiring the same. It's worth a try I guess... 

I am also wondering why my Lenovo Laptop's CPU is at about 85% when I play on Stadia... I thought it only has to display the picture... Maybe things get better when we can play on PC with controller connected to the Google server. 

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

@Kalle 

Hey, I made the speedof.me test and its basically the same speed as with everything else.

728mbit down/48up/19ms latency

Its so weird.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member
Did you find anything out about this? My Pixelbook Go just says checking your connection when I click on the game but never boots it up. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

sorry, but nothing I tried helped me out. Thought that my Chromebook maybe is just not powerful enough... However this can definitely not be your problem! What chrome version are you running?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member
Not at home right now, but its the latest version. I even reinstalled it to make sure its untampered and the latest. I haven't tried canary yet though. I might try that this evening.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I "solved" it by disabling hw acceleration. It cant be a coincidence. After probably a hundred tests runs over all the days since release it finally works the same second I disable hw acceleration.

Super weird is, that it continues to function even when I reenabled it. There was also a Geforce driver update, but I don't think its connected to that, because I run the driver update after I got a good connection.

I'll watch it, but I just played for almost an hour without issues. Before that the connection would just drop within a few minutes and never go over "ok" connection quality.

It's not a connection issue, its some weird rendering issue.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member
Glad to hear that you can enjoy stadia now the way it's meant to be! Congratulations! I also tried this workaround on my Chromebook. No change.... Keep playing on the other devices 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Is anyone still experiencing this issue even after disabling / enabling hardware acceleration? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Yes, with chromecast i always have an excellent connection. When using the same cable in my Lenovo or Apple Notebook i just see a good connection, never excellent.

After disabling HW acceleration on my Lenovo it's getting worse (just ok / good with some delay).

When using an external monitor with my Lenovo i also have to deactivate the first monitor (notebook) to get a good connection without lag. It would be great to have an excellent connection on my Lenovo but i did a lot of tests (like respwn did) without success.

It's not clear for my how this will work when 4k is available 😞

As i mentioned - on Chromecast - i always have an excellent connection playing in 4k.

0 Kudos