cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Stadia connection issues with PiHole DNS

Jump to solution

This question goes out to either the Stadia team itself or any techies... I just installed a Pi-Hole DNS server at home to black hole all of the annoying ads and trackers... however since then I have been having connection issues w. Stadia.  Both of my controllers and CCUs have the same symptoms... the game loads up then a few minutes later the controller stops responding and then the game audio cuts out and I am dumped to the dashboard.  The issue disappears when I disable the blackhole feature of Pi-Hole.  Turn it back on and the issues reappear, so its pretty evident to me that Pi-Hole is blocking something that Stadia needs to function properly.  Can anyone give me a list of servers that I should whitelist so that I can fix this problem? 

Please no obvious "Stop using PiHole" comments.  I am just looking for a list of servers that I should whitelist.  Thank you! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

@codesplice, PiHole turned out to be a red herring... I wound up tearing my network apart the last 2 days and after pulling out a majority of my heair, I determined that it was actually an issue with the router.  Apparently the vendor had been aware of an issue in the previous firmware that wasn't disclosed to the public that was causing occasional high latency to form on the network, and that was just enough to piss off Stadia enough of keep on booting me.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
7 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

I'll freely admit that I've never used PiHole, but are you able to watch any of its logs to see what requests are getting blocked/dropped? From a networking perspective, I've found that analyzing logs of blocked traffic can be incredibly helpful in adjusting rules - often more so than trying to get official documentation which may or may not be available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have and I've whitelisted any sites going to my CCU and controller that are being blackholed.... I'm stumped... I'll be playing one minute and then next the controller and game freeze and I'm booted to the dashboard. Happens on both CCUs with both controllers and even my phone with the stadia app.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

What upstream DNS is used for requests whitelisted / passed-through by the Pi-Hole? I've found a few reports of poor performance when using something other than Google's 8.8.8.8 server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Quad9 with DNSSEC... however I've been using that since day 1 without issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

Are you also using Quad9 when Pi-Hole is disabled? Just trying to figure out what other variables might be in play.

Unfortunately I'm running out of ideas, though I did see a few (brief) Reddit threads discussing experiences when using Pi-Hole in conjunction with Stadia. Maybe one of those users might be able to shine some more light on what you're facing?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/e61hfz/stadia_4k_not_working_with_pihole/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/dzd4pf/stadia_pihole/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

@codesplice, PiHole turned out to be a red herring... I wound up tearing my network apart the last 2 days and after pulling out a majority of my heair, I determined that it was actually an issue with the router.  Apparently the vendor had been aware of an issue in the previous firmware that wasn't disclosed to the public that was causing occasional high latency to form on the network, and that was just enough to piss off Stadia enough of keep on booting me.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@joe2000gt Glad you got it sorted! Thanks for letting us know what did the trick. 👍

0 Kudos