cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Google Wifi an issue?

Jump to solution
I'm getting kicked out of games due to unstable connection issues. I have a 400 mbps connection speed using a Google Wifi mesh network. I can play 8k videos from Youtube on the same Windows PC that I'm playing Stadia on. I get great results when I run the Project Streaming speed test. So why is my in game Connection rating going from Good to OK to Game Might Stop (and sometimes does) when playing Stadia? Gaming Preferred mode not yet available for my Google Home or Google Wifi apps. I assume Gaming Preferred will also work with Google WIfi and not just the Google Nest Wifi. If I need to upgrade to the latter, can someone at Google let me know?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Community Member

I'm happy to report a solution to the controller unlinking problem if you are using Google Wifi.  Using the Google Wifi app, reset the network.  This should stop the controller from loosing it's link during gameplay.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
14 Replies
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide
I spent a few hours playing on my Google WiFi network earlier and didn't have any issues. There are still a lot of variables between our setups but I don't think the mesh WiFi should be a problem. Are you able to try a wired connection to see if that makes a difference?
0 Kudos
Community Member

I tried connecting directly to the modem bypassing the Google Wifi routers and there was no change other than I get 500 mbps rather than 400 mbps speed on a speed test.  Still getting Game Might Stop warnings.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Have you tried enabling the Google stadia option for the Google WiFi setup within the Google Home app? I'm having no problems with games over WiFi thus far.

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@Murdoch I had read about but subsequently completely forgotten that feature. Thanks for reminding me!

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/9541371

0 Kudos
Community Member

If you are referring to the Gaming Preferred setting in the Google Wifi app then that option is not yet listed in my app.  Either I hadn't received the updated app yet or that feature only works with Google Nest Wifi and not Google Wifi.  But that point is moot now since today I bypassed the Google Wifi's and it didn't make a difference.  I suspect that certain areas are being overloaded with too many users and that is what is causing the slow streaming.  I check my Windows 10 network monitor and I am only getting 10 mbps on my game streams even though my speed tests are 50 times faster than that.

0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide
Yeah that sounds like there may be an issue somewhere upstream from your local network.
0 Kudos
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@codesplice @Odin1 I also don't see the gaming preferred option from Google WiFi app. I'm using the OG Google router (can't even remember what it's called), and the 1st gen Google WiFi. I did notice the help page was referring to Google Nest Wifi. I wonder if it's only available to the newer models.

Looks like I'm going shopping this black friday...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please @mention when replying to me, so I can get notified
0 Kudos
Community Member
Mmm, I’ve just checked and I can’t see those options either. Maybe Google will roll this out via an app update to particular regions? It does however say on the support thread that “This setting is on by default but isn’t active unless you’re playing games on Stadia“ - surely the setting doesn’t appear when only playing Stadia? It’s a long shot but will check.
0 Kudos
Community Member
I got Google Wifi and my game just freezes and the screen turns black, but shows no errors. I can play like 10 seconds or If I just let it sit in game and not push anything it runs a little longer. I get about 600 down 900 up on wifi test and I just did the stadia one and said I got 115.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Try connecting your Ethernet cable directly to the modem and power cycle the modem & restart the computer.  I'm guessing it probably won't make a difference, at least it didn't in my case. I can play for about 5 to 10 minutes before I get kicked off due to unstable connection.  I really don't think Google Wifi is the issue.  It has to be server overload on Google's part.  I think they just don't have enough servers to serve everyone.  I'm capping out at 10 mb/s on a 400 mb/s connection when playing Stadia in Chrome.  When in Youtube and I bring up stats for nerds I get 230000 kb/s speed which equals 230 mb/s.  I pass the Project Streaming speed test with an Excellent.  I beta tested Project Streaming last year and I had tremendous fun and no issues whatsoever.  So the only explanation is server overload.

0 Kudos
Community Member

Is there a way to edit a post?  My previous post said "I passed Project Streaming with an Excellent", it actually says "Great".  I think in Stadia the best connection is "Excellent" which I wished (and should be getting) I had.

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Odin1 do you still have this issue?  Did it ever resolve itself?  I used stadia on a 60Mbps connection and it was ok.  Last week I changed ISPs and now have 1Gbps.  Everything you describe is exactly what happens to me since the switch.  Can stream 4k videos fine, have fast connection speeds, but it rarely lets me into a game and when it does, it doesn't let me stay long.  I'm really curious if this is still happening to you 6 months later.  If not, did you do anything to fix it?  I have spent hours troubleshooting with Google and my ISP with no success.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm happy to report a solution to the controller unlinking problem if you are using Google Wifi.  Using the Google Wifi app, reset the network.  This should stop the controller from loosing it's link during gameplay.

View solution in original post

1 Kudo
Community Member

If your hardwired directly yo the CCU from the WIFI router, try going wireless.   There is a major unaddressed issue with going with ethernet cable directly to the CCU from the nest wifi router.  Unless you have a switch in between, it will not work.  It's a reported issue with no solution as of yet.

0 Kudos