cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Google Fiber Has Terrible Latency (Ping)

I'm going to post this here because Google Fiber doesn't seem to want to fix their problems. I'm getting 30 - 50ms ping times to almost any ip in the continental US. This is because of one simple fact: all of my traffic is being routed through 23-255-225-179.mci.googlefiber.net (23.255.225.179). That's a network device of some sort in Kansas City, another Google Fiber city, and I live in Austin, TX. Because of this, I'm getting bad quality and experience on Stadia. This makes me very sad, especially since you would assume that playing a google service on a google network should be the best experience you could possibly get. Please, Google, talk to each-other.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

@williamthrill : You need to raise this with your ISP, and they can then relay the issue to the NOC and get these sort of issues resolved.  However, you probably need to provide some evidence, for example traceroutes to a number of different addresses so that you can provide data about the additional latency being added during the hops.

Most likely it is just a routing issue that is adding this extra delay, the sort of network issue that in all honesty should be picked up on through automatic processes, however sometimes things slip through the cracks and get missed.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks, I provided traceroutes from macos, Ubuntu, and chomeos. I provided ping results and multiple speed test results from different devices. I did all of that on January 10th, and today they asked me for the same exact thing s. They are doing everything they can to blame it on my devices, even though they are all directly connected via cat6 to the fiberbox. If you do a quick Google search on this, it's a pretty common problem that has been happening for a while. So I'm hoping someone from stadia can nudge the Google fiber team about this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

You may want to grab their attention via social media. Some companies take that approach more seriously. Also, sorry to hear. I myself, am looking to get Google Fiber, if it ever gets offered in my area.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Traceroute times or ping times to network routers mean nothing. This has been the case for the past 15 years. Routers route traffic in hardware, however ICMP traffic for the router itself is processed by CPU, and is deprioritized, policed and shaped. It is slower to process than legitimate routed traffic (if it is not dropped at all).
0 Kudos