cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Ethernet adapter not 1000Mbs

Hi, why is the Ethernet port on the power brick not full 1Gbit lan? And is chrome os (chromecast ultra) supported for third party otg 1Gbit lan?
Tags (3)
3 Kudos
10 Replies
Community Member

Where did you get that information from? If that' is true that's a bit of a *uck up I think. However I guess 100mbps is still more than necessary.
1 Kudo
Community Member

its pretty easy to find out.. just connect the ultra nic to a 1gbit switchs/router and you can tell by the lights its only passing 100mbits true. and yes its more than enough.. but i have 1gbit up and down fibre connection.. and its feels like the nic is bottlenecked by the 100mbits cap

1 Kudo
Community Member

Nearly 2020 and google tech company is still using 100Mbps NIC? Wow and 2and this is streaming device. Why not 1Gig nic so that you have the longevity of bandwidth throughput. the tech sheet boasts the glory of wifi but the details on ethernet is ghost.  I'll leave it at this for now. Just crazy the device is using 100Mbps NIC. #OLDTECH

Tags (3)
1 Kudo
Community Member

its just wierd mate, that radio technology is way more supported than copper sadly.

1 Kudo
Stadia Guide
Stadia Guide

It's not gigabit, but 100Mbit is still more than double the maximum bandwidth Stadia needs at maximum quality/4K so it doesn't really matter.

2 Kudos
Community Member

This is true, but probably chromecast is usb 2 so not gigabit stream and ... chromecast ultra CANT handle a 1gibit stream anyway ...

0 Kudos
Community Member

What would be the use case for 1Gbps PHY for CCU? It's not like CCU can consume or produce more than 100Mbps worth if traffic anyway. My guess is 100Mbps is more than enough for CCU needs, consumes less power than Gigabit chipsets and is cheaper, so consumers can pay less without sacrificing any functionality.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Is it really? CCU shows up with a 1Git/s link on my router, while the hue bridge links with 100 Mbit/s.

Even though, its a streaming device. Bluray is around 36 Mbit/s, Netflix 4K is around 25 Mbit/s. Not sure what a higher rate would solve.

0 Kudos
Community Member

It does seem weird in 2019 that a product would ship without a gig Ethernet port, but these things just stream video. I can’t imagine anything on these would top 50 mbps.
\\Tax
0 Kudos
Community Member

Yes, I can confirm that stadia is only connecting with 100mbps

0 Kudos