cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Controller Input Lag

I've played with keyboard and mouse, and dualshock on PC. I've used the dualshock on my Android phone via Bluetooth (which works great btw for travel playing). But when I use the Stadia controller with the Chromecast, the input lag is MASSIVE! It's impossible to aim on tomb raider making it unplayable. For timing I have to preemptively press the button to get the time right. Red Dead Redemption 2 is just as bad but it's less noticable because it has aim assist

I'm a big tech person and software engineer and have the latest in tech with way more than adequate internet connection. The router is only an few feet away from the controller. 

Update: I reduced the lag by plugging it directly into the TV. I had it hooked into my Onkyo media receiver. It's at least playable now but the lag still VERY noticable. 

3 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Maybe on tv its 4k and on your pc 1080p? The input lag on my sony tv is much higher in 4k then in 1080p?! And yes reciever is one reason for input lag. Had the same problem with my ps4 and a donon reciever in the past. EDIT: Today i recieved my chromecast. First connetced it to my sony tv. Huge sound delay i destiny. My tv is connected to a denon reciever. Then i connected the chromecast direcrly to my reciever. Much better. Playing with stadia controller feels more laggy then yesterday qith wired xbox controller on pc chrome browser. Maybe because my router is i. The next room?. And my 2015 sony tv has much more input lag in 4k/hdr then in 1080p...so its not all stadia problem. I should test to run the games in 1080p without hdr and see if it feels still more laggy with the stadia controller....compared to xbox 360 controller/bluetooth.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

My controller has the same input lag as you. It was mentioned in a story. "The Wi-Fi-connected controller experienced a half-second of input lag, meaning that any button I pressed saw a delayed reaction on-screen." I had 100mb internet and got around 80mb on my AC band. I just switched to 200mb and get 200 on my AC band now. I still have input lag on my controller. My video itself is fine and hasn't been an issue yet.
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Community Member

I had this issue with my Chromecast/stadia controller. Turning on the game mode setting on my TV mostly resolved this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Even if for some reason it was because of 4k I'm a Stadia Pro user --we pay for that feature. At 4k, the bandwidth it uses is a tiny fraction of what my internet can support. Stepping down the resolution shouldn't be the solution, which by the way, didn't fix the lag.

Personally, I believe it has something to do with the controllers connectivity. It's the only obvious kink in the chain. The Chromecast is plugged in via direct to TV & Ethernet. On my Android phone playing on a cellular network (I had my friend share a hotspot) with the Dualshock controller connected via Bluetooth, the lag was minimal and nowhere near the lag on the Chromecast.

Edit: I forgot to address the other comment about enabling game mode. I have tried it with the same result as well as other TV modes with the same result. Also my TV can auto enable or just always enable higher refresh rates to 120hz --still with lag.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same here. Xbox 360 and dualshock  perfect on notebook with usb or blutooth (1080p). Stadia controller and chromecast more laggy on TV more input lag. Still playable. My router is in the next room. Maybe thats one reason. But testing wifi in my tv room ist still very goog. Ping 12ms 350mbit down and 47mbit up. Thought its because of 4k on tv. I do have a fiber connection 1.000mbit down and 50mbit up. So thats not the reason for sure 🙂

Cheers from Germany

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Has anyone resoved this?   I am having massive playability issues when using the Stadia Controller.  it worked great for the first week but then started acting up 3 days ago.  no issues when I use my Macbook and Xbox controller.....Lag, video skipping, etc,,,,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

When some of you say the input lag problem was "fixed" have you tried with FPS. This whole service has been a total failure for FPS games. I hope no one bought doom at full price on here ... No matter what i do on my GB internet connection the input lag is horrible. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

In the googlehGoogle app for Chromecast ultra I had put it on use 50hz HDMI mode and my controller was out of wack, I turned it off, all is well. 

0 Kudos