cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Connection issues with Chromebook only

Hi, 

I'm having connection issues with Chromebook only.

My Stadia works fine on Chromecast and fine on 2 different Windows laptops, (1st being a newish i5 work laptop and 2nd being a 4-5 year only i3 laptop, both work fine). The story is somewhat different on my brand new Acer r13 Chromebook. I've disabled and uninstalled all extensions, removed the Linux installation, I've tried wired (via a ethernet to usb2.0 dongle, no ethernet port on the Chromebook) and wifi connection without joy. My connection is fast enough 40 down/10 up, I've got these speed results on the Chromebook that i'm having issues with. I get the red exclamation mark in the screed that opens when you press the Stadia button or shift+tab on keyboard, then the connection issues window pops up. This is very frustrating as Stadia was one of the main reasons I bought a new laptop and Chromebook made sense to me as i'm deep in the google ecosystem. Could my Chromebook be faulty? 

4 Kudos
20 Replies
Community Member

I'm currently in the queue to chat with google about this 😕

0 Kudos
Community Member

Please share anything revelant they tell you, having this issue on a chromebook as well
0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm to speak with Google over the phone when i'm back at home at 18:00 gmt. I'll update here, by the way, what Chromebook do you have?
0 Kudos
Community Member

It's the Samsung Chromebook from like 2 years ago.
0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm with you on the Samsung. Just tried it out, both Destiny 2 and Samurai Showdown disconnected. I thought D2 might have trouble but not Samurai Showdown. Internet speed is fine, so not sure.. hope things improve

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Shyloc @HighScoreJimmy :

See if the problem remains if you reset the Chrome flags.  Navigate to the URL  chrome://flags then select Reset all to default, restart Chrome and try again...  Might help, might not...but no harm in trying.

Kudos appreciated if deserved.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Hi, I have someone calling me at 18:00gmt, I'll see if this is brought up or not. I haven't changed any flags myself.

I have spoken on Reddit with another Acer R13 user who is experiencing the same issues

0 Kudos
Community Member

hi, i really like stadia - works great on Chromecast, Pixel 4 and a Windows Laptop (Lenovo T450s with i5). But I have issues with my Chromebook too. I use a Acer CB5 311 T6R7 with Tegra K1 from 10/2014. The Games are loading and the connection shifts from good to okay to "might lose connection". But it does not matter because I always experience so much lag that the games are not playable. Internet is 100 down / 40 up. I created a 5Ghz Wifi SSID just for the Chromebook, tried diffrent settings, incognito mode and at the end I powerwashed the Chromebook. Nothing is improving the lag. I noticed that the sound always matches the input, but the picture does not react until 2 to 3 seconds later... Is my Chromebook just not capaple of playing Games with Stadia???

0 Kudos
Community Member

@Shyloc 

i'm also trying to run stadia on an acer R13

here are my tries so far: https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-on-Chrome/Poor-network-performance-via-Chromebook/m-p/6671#M3...

made it run in incognito mode and only for a couple of minutes

0 Kudos
Community Member

I'm having the same issues on my Acer Chromebook 15 with the instability and network issues. No troubles on same network using Stadia on a PC, TV, and phone.
0 Kudos
Community Member

My Chromebook won't even sign in.
0 Kudos
Community Member

@Shyloc 

This very much sounds like my problem, except that it doesnt work on two Windows PCs while everywhere else instead.

I tested a lot of stuff, see here:

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Network-Connectivity/Stadia-same-wired-network-bad-connection-on-Chr...

0 Kudos
Community Member

Same issues here with a 4 year old lenovo n22 chromebook, 20 up / 80 down, chromecast and laptop fine. Being Chrome o/s expected this to work flawlessly.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Your Chromebook has an old and way too slow CPU to decode a 1080p60 VP9 stream in software. 

Maybe the lower 720p60 setting will work, though. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

It would be nice to get some additional guidance from Google on what Chromebooks can actually support Stadia. I'm beginning to think mine cannot.
0 Kudos
Community Member

Hello @Wayren,

have you got Stadia working on your Acer Chromebook 15?

I hope that you don't mind me asking directly and so late!

Thanks for your help 🙂

0 Kudos
Community Member

Hey @WonderPaul!

I did get it working to some degree actually. I tried a trick I've seen on Reddit a few times and disabled my mic on stadia.com. For whatever reason this let games actually load successfully. Unfortunately there is still more lag than on the other platforms (TV, PC, etc.) so I don't really use it much. 

0 Kudos
Community Member

This site can help you out with some of your problems

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-on-Chrome/Enable-H264-instead-of-VP9/td-p/20248

tldr; Stadia uses VP9, an encoder that sometimes doesn't work on older/weaker chips, so Stadia+(chrome extension) swaps that out for H264 which should help fix those problems we have. Please let me know if it did anything at all.

0 Kudos
Community Member

I don't know if I can provide anything all the album but I think it is relevant that planning on PCS laptops notebooks you have to link Stadia controller with the USBC to ur Chromebook, then go over all your settings for Bluetooth casting mirroring devices and remote access make sure that all the settings are set to again stadia the easiest access then open up the stadia app make sure the controller is linked and connected then go up to the auction settings of the app that's in the right-hand corner and hit cast when you do this it will show you every device that can be mirrored or cast from your Chromebook I've only had the stadia for about 5 days and it is been except really enjoyable casting on two crazy devices like my projector and still having my 4K ultra dongle for my other TV now I would recommend using an ethernet cable for your connection for the Chromebook and I will give you perfect signal and you will have less lag I have problems with connecting my controller because of my subscription but once I figured everything out it's been smooth sailing has been great, especially cross-play. Sorry it's kind of late here so I hope I made an intelligent statement hopefully maybe it'll help out a little bit

0 Kudos
Community Member

It took me SO MUCH trial and error to get my Chromebook working with Stadia. See my Reddit post for what works for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/gs9lzr/solution_to_chromebook_problems/

0 Kudos